• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Multi-purpose discs

discgolphinmafaukner

Birdie Member
I am talking about a Stingray in this example, but it is not the only disc I have seen this on.

I have seen some stingrays that say "Mid-range" on them, and I see some that say "Multi-purpose". Is there a difference?

i think they are the same disc, it is just that a stingray used to be alot of peoples' main drivers..when i started playing(right before the cyclone came out) the stingray was the most controllable, longest flying disc for me. and a great roller also..

I have 2 Stingrays...err actually my fiance and my sone have one each now. One was one of my first discs and the other, I got for a replacement and the oldest one actually says it is a mid while the newer one (maybe 8 years old as the oldest might be 9) actually says long range driver.

The newer one flew further for me and the older one was more flippy, but I think that had to do with wear.

I think a "Multi-purpose " disc is labeled like that for new people playing with only one disc.

I have seen Cobras and Coyotes marked like that was well.

This can be confusing for those new to sport.....kind of like difference between Mid-range/Approach and then Putt/Approach and then theres fairway driver/mid range and slow speed driver/high speed driver.......to the uninitiated its a damn scrambled mess....and probably the hardest part of the sport is learning what discs do and how to use them.

a multi purpose disc is like a hybrid between a driver and midrange. most multipurpose discs used to be either fairway or long range drivers before innova retooled everything. this is evident in the panther, wolf, and stingray to name a few.

Yeah they are the same. Innova doesn't know how to keep the same stamp on their discs or something.

the Stingray is everything everyone said it was and more. It is in my opinion the best all around disc out there. It holds whatever line you throw it in. It is great in the wind. It has excellent glide. It is easily controllable. Does well Back-hand, side-arm, tomahawk, thumber or roller. All the Stringray's are the same, all around great discs.

You can throw a Stingray pretty far but it is deffinately a midrange disc, by today's standards. It is great for nailing long putts of fifty foot or more using an anhyzer approach too.

Latest posts