• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Multiple color dyeing

Tfire25

Double Eagle Member
So I'm a noob at dyeing discs. I have done a couple but they have all been solid color dyes. I keep hearing to cut out the whole picture and weed out as you go. What does weeding out mean?

Do I cut out all the vinyl and then replace the pieces as I do different colors?

When you say remasking, does that mean you cut out a different piece of vinyl and try to lay it on perfect over the other parts already died?

Why is it so bad to cut out vinyl on the disc? Is it just in case I push to hard?

Thank you in advance guys.

This is the picture I'm trying to do btw. On a white disc, red, purple, orange hair. Gray for shading, and black for the darkest shading and all of the outlines. I know it's ambitious but I think I could learn a lot from it.

One question I forgot to ask; can I dye anything over black or do I need to re-cover all of that again?

When I cut an image I cut everything I want cut all at the same time. Then just remove the areas I want dyed at that time. That is called weeding. I will typically use elmers glue to cover the cut lines I don't want dye in. You can dye any color over black. Remasking is when you need to cover an already dyed area with vinyl before dying a new color. It is typically done by placing a new piece of vinyl on the disc and cutting on the disc. You need to be careful. But it's not too difficult with a little practice. Nothing wrong with cutting on the disc if you are careful. Ask away if you have more questions.

That's awesome! I appreciate the help. I had an idea last night that might be easier. I was thinking about doing all the outlines in black, and gray the lightly shaded areas. Then instead of weeding all of the hair out, I could mask everything off but the hair and make a shaving cream bed of red, purple, and orange. It might give it a pretty cool look and it would be a hell of a lot easier. I might even do two discs and see which one i like better. What do y'all think?

Ill post some pics up with the results. It might be this weekend though. It's a lot of cutting and prepping.

Anybody excited? Quick question though. If I leave it in the black for a short time will it be gray?

Going to try for the grey. I'm going to let it sit for two minutes in the black. Gotta just try it right? Everybody learns somewhere.

Well I let it sit for two minutes and its more silver than grey but I like it. A little bit of a run on the bottom right but I'm pretty happy over all. The bleeds in the hair are from being lazy I guess and not getting the stamp all the way off. I bet they aren't as noticeable when I get the color in there. We shall see. Maybe tomorrow.

It's gonna take awhile to remask and I have to mix the purple and orange die up.

If you're doing small areas of color, instead of remasking and hot dipping every time. I believe some people will also mix dye with laundry detergent to paint the colors on. But you have to let it sit for an extended period of time for the dye to take.

If you're doing small areas of color, instead of remasking and hot dipping every time. I believe some people will also mix dye with laundry detergent to paint the colors on. But you have to let it sit for an extended period of time for the dye to take.

Can I mix the dye I'm using with detergent or will it be to diluted with the water already mixed in? Thanks!

I'm going to try a couple different things. I messed up the eyes a little and I'm gonna try to fix them by mixing shaving cream with the dye. Ill cut out some vinyl and set that over the eyes and then put the shaving cream mix straight on top of the vinyl and see if it gives the eyes/lashes a fix. Anyone ever done this? Should I build a barrier so that the mix doesn't run onto the rest of the disc? Maybe with Elmer's glue?

I'm also going to make a shaving cream bed with red, purple, and a little orange for the hair. It won't stay in the lines obviously but I'm just going to mask off the perimeter and face so that all that gets marbled is the hair.

I'm a noob myself, only 5months into dying, ran out of discs before really trying the painting. I think power straight into the detergent is preferred but I think you can use pre-mixed with water as well. Just make sure its not too runny. Might take longer to take though.

The only tip I know is that when you leave it for an extended period, it helps to put the disc in like a covered dome with a wet paper towel to keep the dye moist longer and give it more time to take.

Maybe try it on your next disc, every dye i've done, I've always learned something to improve my technique.

You can use powder or liquid. It's just a little harder to contain the paint if it is too runny.

I meant that I had a bunch of premixed dye already. I was wondering if I could use the mixed dye/water and add it to the acetone.

She is taking a shaving cream bath right now. It sucks I have to wait like 24 hrs though. I decided on just red and purple. We shall see (Ron Washington voice) "what it do".

I'm assuming you are using idye. I really don't think it would be an issue. I haven't actually tried it yet. But I don't see any reason it shouldn't work just fine to mix some premixed idye with laundry detergent and paint with it. The only issue I foresee is it will be runny. But If you are careful or thicken it a little it should work fine. I do almost all of my multi-colors with the paint on method.

I should have tried painting. I will do that on all multi colors from now on. Even the shaving cream bed ran. Maybe some better vinyl also. What do y'all use?

I like it but the runs almost ruin it for me. I learned a lot though. Thanks guys!

I should have tried painting. I will do that on all multi colors from now on. Even the shaving cream bed ran. Maybe some better vinyl also. What do y'all use?

I like it but the runs almost ruin it for me. I learned a lot though. Thanks guys!

Nice work bro - I like how the SC looks, and I think some good vinyl would have prevented your bleeds.

This is what I just bought (I used contact paper for a while, and this is MUCH MUCH better):

ORACAL 651 Intermediate Cal Vinyl 30" x 10 Yard Roll (ORS6513010) -
Color: 000 - Transparent

Cost me $29, got it from UScutter.com

Ill definitely be buying that. Nothing better to screw up a dye than runs. Any idea how to get some of it off? I'm gonna try magic eraser, dry eraser, goo be gone, and scrubbing. We shall see.

I'm also going to try to fix her eyes and mouth with a little black accents. Ill post some pics next week.

Once the dye is settled into the disc, as far as I know, you can't get it back out. Also, Magic Earser is an abrasive.... so you're essentially sanding the disc so I'd be careful with that if you plan on throwing this disc.

Once the dye is settled into the disc, as far as I know, you can't get it back out. Also, Magic Earser is an abrasive.... so you're essentially sanding the disc so I'd be careful with that if you plan on throwing this disc.

You may be able to make it lighter with acetone, but I doubt you'll ever get it off completely.

Definitely not coming off. And you might just smear it. I'd leave it alone and take it as a lesson learned. That's how you get better. You try things. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't. You learn either way. One thing to keep in mind. Whatever you use vinyl, or contact paper. Take the time to make sure your edges are down very well, that will minimize the bleeding.

Oh yeah, nice marbling in the hair. I like it.

Latest posts