• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Multiple pins - why?/why not?

What pin configuration option do you prefer?

• One pin per hole!

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Multiple permanent pins make a good design tool

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Multiple permanent pins create better course variety

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Moveable pins are OK, multiple permanent pins no so much.

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • If you have 2 permanent pins, do it on every hole

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • No Opinion, I'll play anywhere

Votes: 16 21.6%

• Total voters
Variety, and not discouraging beginners, were much more important a few decades back, when there was often only 1 course in an area to play every day. Today, most places have multiple courses; some can be suitable for beginners while others geared to more advanced players, and we can all get more variety from playing different courses.

Also, in the same way that signage matters more to the traveling player than the local, variety in a single course matters much more to the everyday local. If you're a traveler, or a local who plays a particularly course every once-in-a-while, you don't necessarily need a choice of tees or targets to change up the experience.

We added secondary pin placements to a course and I can say with 100% certainty that the issue of the parks department destroying the empty pin placement with lawn mowers increases dramatically with multiple pins. :|

We added secondary pin placements to a course and I can say with 100% certainty that the issue of the parks department destroying the empty pin placement with lawn mowers increases dramatically with multiple pins. :|

Well, yeah…. If you leave them sticking up above grade. You have a sink them and preferably put them in one of those sprinkler boxes with a lid.