• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Multiple putter molds?

rupet

Par Member
Anyone carry two or more putter molds in the bag? I have been loving the Ion outside 35' or so, and for tee/approach. But I've been having issues with it inside the circle (push putter).

Is it a bad idea to use one mold for spin putting outside the circle, and another for inside? Or should I scrap the Ion and go with only one mold? Or only use the Ion for drives?

I carry 4. VP for left-to-right backhand, pig for forehand, wizard for regular putting and beadless aviar for annys and long putts.

I carry Spikes for putts & U/S drives & approaches, & Ion for "can't afford to go right" drives & approaches. I think having 2, or maybe more, putters molds is probably pretty common

I was recently having putter issues myself (see post entitled "Long Range Putter"). After much deliberation, I decided to give the Dart a try for anything beyond 50', and so far it's been money. Currently I'm carrying 3 different putters, Star Dart, FLX Challenger, Soft Elite X Banger. For me personally, there is no way one putter will cover all situations. But I see guys all the time who tear local tournaments up using nothing but a Roc and an Aviar. Use what works best for you. What issues are you having with the ION? I've been thinking about giving one a try myself.

I carry only 1 mold the ION, 1 soft, 1 medium. I am a hyzer spin putter though. I like to putter with the soft in the cool weather and the medium in the hot weather. I use the soft for for straight drives and the medium for the hyzer drives.

What issues are you having with the ION? I've been thinking about giving one a try myself.

I'm low and contently hitting the basket. I have read this disc needs some spin. So I don't get much spin being a push putter. I don't know, maybe my release point is too low.

Even as a push putter you could try adding a little extra finger spring and seeing if that helps. Also try a flat release if you use a hyzer release, might help out.

I carry 3 molds. 1 Aero for glidy annies 2 ions for main putting duties, 1 wizard for driving and wind duties. I have never seen a seasoned disc golfer with only 1 putter mold

I'm low and contently hitting the basket. I have read this disc needs some spin. So I don't get much spin being a push putter. I don't know, maybe my release point is too low.

My brother is a low spin putter and he's really liking his Ion. For him it took a little dialing in the spin Vs distance factor and he was killing me with his putts.
Start in close with your normal putt, as you move back every five feet or so give just a little more spin to compensate for the added distance.

I am always flip-flopping between two and three molds.

For now my putter of choice is the Dart. It is fast, has enough glide so I do not need to change my stance and technique all the way up to 45 feet, but does not overshoot the basket like how a mid would. It is also stable enough to drive with.

I also use a R-Pro Polecat for approaches up to 100 feet where on a windless day I want to take a run at the basket. Once I get to about 100-125 feet I assess the situation and usually switch up to a mid for approaching duties.

I used to carry the Zone for really overstable duties but I found most of the circumstance where I use a Zone I am better suited powering down a Drone. It is a matter of just one less disc to carry and not really a statement on the Zone.

Sometimes I sneak in a Wizard or Aviar for muscling in approaches or hyzer putting from a straddle position. In the recent past I have also experimented with Pigs, Ions, Soles, Ridges, and Voodoos. Regardless, I always found it must useful to carry two or more putters. That way I can try to play the wind as well as my confidence in a particular putt.

I'm down to using just two. Ions, med and soft for most putting duties and a R-Pro Aviar for shaping hard left or right curves and driving. Its working very well for me. :)

I carry 3 molds. 1 Aero for glidy annies 2 ions for main putting duties, 1 wizard for driving and wind duties. I have never seen a seasoned disc golfer with only 1 putter mold

I don't understand why you would need more than 1 mold. If you know how to work the disc you have why would need more than 1. Most of the top pro's in my area only carry one mold for putting and just disc down for drives. That is what I am learning. I maybe able to throw my Ion 300' but why not just disc down and throw a midrange instead. You can save a lot more energy in the end. I can throw my ions, fh, bh, hyzer and anhyzer, what eles do you need?

3-4 Pures and a D Zone which is mostly for approaches and occasionally for putts on really windy days. They are very different, but feel really close especially on the release.

2 Ions....One soft for putting and 1 medium for driving

1 SSS Wizard for those up shots where you need that floating anhyzer that just fades back ever so lightly at the end....(can't seem to get the Ion to do that yet but still working on it).

Ions for putting, a zone for hyzer drives/forehands, and a beat esp banger for drives straight to turnover and upshots inside 250. I can drive with the ions, but I have had the banger in the bag since I started playing, will switch to ions if I ever lose it.

BB Aviars cover everything for me except for windy days, when I replace one of my putters with a champ Rhyno.

Latest posts