• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Must play courses in SC

I respect that opinion I suppose. I do think playing on a Wednesday night during a Barn Jam is an experience you don't often get at most disc golf courses. I certainly agree it would not rank in my top 5 from a purely disc golf course quality perspective. I guess if you yank Seewee Outpost I would suggest Edisto Gardens has no place on the list either. Since we are in a fun debate here, how bout the Sarge in Hardeeville? On the list/off the list? Just curious to hear various opinions.
Cheers.

I guess it depends on how you define "must play". To me, it's a short list; the courses you'll regret not playing or, more likely, when you finally play it a few years later, will regret not having played it sooner.

To me, that's a handful of courses at most. There are plenty of courses that are good course and enjoyable to play, but only a few that you "must play" if you're in the area.

I was told about a year ago that Camp Canaan was going to be impossible to get on from several people who had been there. I did see you can buy a annual pass now on dgu though recently.

It opened for play a couple of weeks ago. It is only open for play on weekends and you have to register on dgu for every round if you do not have the annual pass.

I guess it depends on how you define "must play". To me, it's a short list; the courses you'll regret not playing or, more likely, when you finally play it a few years later, will regret not having played it sooner.

Fair or not, there aren't too many 'must play' courses in SC. I do think, for the most part, the highest rated courses on this site are a solid reflection of the best courses in the state. The only one that's clearly overrated is having Tyger River being listed as the second highest rated course. Other than that, the state's Top 10 list is pretty spot on with the exception of Va-Du-Mar not making that list.

Play Chester, drive to DOWNTOWN ROCK HILL and eat at FLIPSIDE RESTAURANT, then head over to Camp Canaan.

Thank me later.

Skip chester and just play Canaan. Ill describe chester. straight straight straight @350' group of trees then basket 90 degrees and 80' right (or left) I'd prefer boyd hill and its closer to Canaan.

Fair or not, there aren't too many 'must play' courses in SC. I do think, for the most part, the highest rated courses on this site are a solid reflection of the best courses in the state. The only one that's clearly overrated is having Tyger River being listed as the second highest rated course. Other than that, the state's Top 10 list is pretty spot on with the exception of Va-Du-Mar not making that list.

Agreed, Tyger is probably a 3. Great facility, but meh course.

Disagree about not that many must-plays, considering the total number of courses I'd say the SC ratio of 'better than average' courses is as good or better than the 3 states I've played the more than 10/12 courses in - NC, GA and TX.

Agreed that 'must play' is probably too subjective. 'Would remember 4 months after playing' is more apt I think, and Tyger fails that test.

Even after losing that great tee shot on old #11 and the redesign of 12/13/14 for tennis courts , Shoally Creek is near the top ten in the state. As orignally installed, it was top 5 at the time (ahh memories).

Disagree about not that many must-plays, considering the total number of courses I'd say the SC ratio of 'better than average' courses is as good or better than the 3 states I've played the more than 10/12 courses in - NC, GA and TX.

Wait, huh? Your saying SC has a higher ratio of must plays compared to NC and GA? I don't follow at all. The two disc golfing hubs in that state, Augusta and Charlotte, probably have more must plays in one city then we do in our whole state.

I'm also not so sure about Red Owens; the course gets absolutely no love from the Parks department, and the first few and last couple holes can be over-run with children on the weekends. Some of the holes are outstanding, but the course was in such eh shape when I played it that I haven't bothered to venture back there since.
Upstate Fbook page showed some of the improvements they've recently made to Red Owens - old #3 by the payground is gone, so old 4 is now 3, etc. And they've re-designed 10 and 11 due to park updates in that back corner. Really nice property for DG, was tough to see it in dis-repair but looking forward to someday checking out the face-lift. :thmbup:

Foothills/Easley/Red Owens/Whatever its actual name is...
I think we all share the same amount of disappointment in the course. It's really a dang good layout on a great piece of land, but it just suffers from neglect. The park will mow when we call them and ask, but beyond that, they really don't do too much. Their focus is on their baseball fields, and who can blame them? Getting ESPN to come in every year is a pretty big deal. All we do is annoy them about mowing...

The course has been without tee signs for a couple of years now (the club's fault) and we finally decided to just go out and purchase some. I've got a designer working on them and we should have them printed and installed real soon now. Of course, everyone hates hole 3, the tee pad constantly gets covered in mud, and good shots get punished with stupid rollaways. Rather than spend any time/money reinforcing/rebuilding the tee pad, combined with spending money on new signs right now, we decided to just bite the bullet and JUST DO IT. 3 is gone, new 10 is its replacement. New 10 isn't really all that exciting, but it's a lot better than 3 was. (Although it does have plenty of room available for an extended tee pad if we want to spend more time clearing privet/briars/barbed wire.

I think hole 11 out there is one of the best holes in the state. A true par 4 where getting a 3 feels like a real accomplishment. 3 (old 4), 6 (old 7), 9 (old 10) are all really good holes. If you're gonna play it, now is a good time. We just did a good bit of maintenance last weekend, so maybe it'll remain in good shape for a couple of months. (or until the next mud run comes through and rips everything up)

Stoney Hill, Central, and Trophy Lakes make up my top 3. Shoally (Va du Mar) and The Pipeline are awfully close to those 3. You could make an argument for Chester. Tyger has no business being anywhere near the top 5. It's a fine course, but nothing special; a solid 3.5* course. I really think that most of the ratings come from Upstate people who are just really excited to have more than 1 open hole on a course. In the Upstate region, the only holes that you can truly unload are Central 6, Central 7, Easley 10, and Shoally 2. Tyger gives you 11, 16, 17, and 18. Old Glory is also overrated; 3* maybe. Shoally is criminally underrated.

DGCR Ratings:
1. Stoney Hill 4.41* (yup)
2. Tyger River 4.30* (nope)
3. Grand Central Station 4.21* (yup)
4. Chester State Park 4.18* (yup)
5. The Pipeline 4.11* (yup)
6. Trophy Lakes 4.07* (yup)
7. Hippodrome Old Glory 4.00* (no way)
8. Hippodrome Hogback 3.92* (not quite)
9. Crooked Creek 3.92*
10. Earlewood 3.72* (just a touch overrated)
11. Sewee Outpost 3.67*
12. Sertoma Field 3.66* (fun but not quite this good)
13. All-Terrain 3.63*
14. Shoally Creek 3.63* (absolutely criminal. This is a 4+ star course)

Socastee was another interesting course. I enjoyed the tight wooded technical front and the bomber fun back.

Skip chester and just play Canaan. Ill describe chester. straight straight straight @350' group of trees then basket 90 degrees and 80' right (or left) I'd prefer boyd hill and its closer to Canaan.

No, I think you are confusing it with Nevin. Except you can still have fun at Chester off the fairways. I can think of two holes that are similar to what you described, hole 2 (par 4) and hole 15. You are wrong about that course. Plus, you are likely to be the only ones there. no litter, the place is a unique sanctuary in our area.

I said "as good or better" - I've played most all the Charlotte courses and they bring the state average way up...you go west to Asheville/Waynesville/Mars Hill and it's not nearly as 'must play' - although I love mtn courses and Ashe County is right behind Flyboy/Maple Hill for me.

Is the course in Chapel Hill as good as Charlotte? You tell me, I haven't played east of Fox Chase.

I've played the IDGC several times, Elberton is a fun day trip, but have not hit Tula yet. Same deal, those bring the average up. Besides the IDGC, the only course I've hit in Augusta is Patriots and not a 'must play'. No Hippo trip yet either, but you said above it's not 'in the convo'.

The top ten SC courses are great, even comapred to its neighbors.

Stoney Hill, Central, and Trophy Lakes make up my top 3. Shoally (Va du Mar) and The Pipeline are awfully close to those 3. You could make an argument for Chester.

I'd bump Pipeline up to the "must play" list, with bonus points for being simply beautiful. I'd leave Chester out, barely, with the footnote that if you like tough wooded courses, it becomes a "must play" too.

It took me a couple of times through to start liking Chester more. First time through I didn't really get it at all. The only holes I really disagree with are #4 and #8. (And that #8 plays easier if you just throw backwards up #4's fairway...)

DGCR ratings vs my subjective ratings

DGCR Ratings:
1. Stoney Hill 4.41* (yup) 1. Stoney Hill/Pipeline
2. Tyger River 4.30* (nope) 2. Grand Central Station
3. Grand Central Station 4.21* (yup) 3. Trophy Lakes/Shoally Creek
4. Chester State Park 4.18* (yup) 4. Chester/Socastee/Easley
5. The Pipeline 4.11* (yup) 5. Crooked Creek/Hampton Park/Tupelo Bay Dec. Tourney Courses
6. Trophy Lakes 4.07* (yup) 6. Owens/Timmons/Earlewood/Southeast/Boyd
7. Hippodrome Old Glory 4.00* (no way) worst course in the world is also in SC - IOP Rec Center
8. Hippodrome Hogback 3.92* (not quite)
9. Crooked Creek 3.92*
10. Earlewood 3.72* (just a touch overrated)
11. Sewee Outpost 3.67*
12. Sertoma Field 3.66* (fun but not quite this good)
13. All-Terrain 3.63*
14. Shoally Creek 3.63* (absolutely criminal. This is a 4+ star course)

Subjective
1. Stoney Hill/Pipeline
2. Grand Central Station
3. Trophy Lakes/Shoally Creek
4. Chester/Socastee/Easley
5. Crooked Creek/Hampton Park/Tupelo Bay Dec. Tourney Courses
6. Owens/Timmons/Earlewood/Southeast/Boyd

Worst course in the world is also in SC - IOP Rec Center

Last edited:
This is the longest thread about S.C. disc golf in DGCR history. Usually, it's "should I stop anywhere between Charlotte and Augusta?" With a few "I'm vacationing in Myrtle Beach/Charleston, where should I play?" thrown in.

My favorite S.C. course, at least further away than I can see from my windows, only exists for 1 week a year. And, no, it's not the USDGC with ropes. If someone is in the area in early December, I scrap everything else I've said here, and tell they absolutely "must play" Hampton Park.

Latest posts