• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Anode Putter

I was waiting for the tree to kick him back in. I would bet Mike would go in after that Anode tester, but just in case, I would be grabbing a wet suit to go look.

:p no doubt a wet suit would be required to jump into that sludge pit

This could have already been brought up, but after hearing the praises of how versatile the anode holds and shapes lines, you guys think the stamp is meant to relay that? Kinda looks that way to me! Cant wait to get my hands on one of these.

Watching that video makes you realize how much of DG is walking and waiting. A full round of shots in under 6 minutes.

I agree with the earlier poster that said it's tough to distinguish flight characteristics of different discs from course video like that. Partly it's because it's hard to see the end of the longer shots. It's also partly because Mike C is too good and he makes the appropriate adjustments so that the disc flies like he wants. It's tough to catch hyzer angle and such on a full speed video.

That's not saying I didn't enjoy it. Thanks for posting!

I was thinking about shooting a second test video where I throw a bunch of 150-300' approaches using different lines and throwing styles. This video was fun to make but it mostly ended up being drive putt, drive putt, so I didn't get to show off the discs approach capabilities much.

I was thinking about shooting a second test video where I throw a bunch of 150-300' approaches using different lines and throwing styles. This video was fun to make but it mostly ended up being drive putt, drive putt, so I didn't get to show off the discs approach capabilities much.

That would be pretty awesome. I had no doubt the Anode would fly well at high speeds. I'm most excited to see how much you can finesse them.

Thanks for the Video

I throw the soft ion from 225ft and in on most shots and putt with it as well. Can't wait to try the new Anode and see if it will fit the shots I don't use the Ion for.

Maybe a little off topic, but I need to know how MikeC gets the disc to fly that far. I've looked up the distances and watched the video of what looks like a fairly simple, easy throw and it soars over 300 ft. I need to figure that out! I can get the ion out close to maybe 280 ft but that is max effort.

That is a great vid. Looks like it can take full power and still hold some hyzer.

I'm most intrigued by the putts at the 3:30 and 4:00 mark. The first putt gives me hope that a spin putter can make these things glide, (I had a lot of the same dropping putt issues with the Ion as some others have mentioned.) But the putt at the 4min mark reminds me a lot of how my distance putts looked with the Ion. Putt nose up, and watch the disc stall and fall. I REALLY want to be able to give these things a real shot at making my bag.

Looking forward to a finesse shot video.

I throw the soft ion from 225ft and in on most shots and putt with it as well. Can't wait to try the new Anode and see if it will fit the shots I don't use the Ion for.

Maybe a little off topic, but I need to know how MikeC gets the disc to fly that far. I've looked up the distances and watched the video of what looks like a fairly simple, easy throw and it soars over 300 ft. I need to figure that out! I can get the ion out close to maybe 280 ft but that is max effort.

He has some good instructional videos in the technique sub-forum. I would check those out and start there.

He has some good instructional videos in the technique sub-forum. I would check those out and start there.

Don't even need to go to the technique forum, just watch one of his videos and from his page you have access to the 51 other vids he has up. :clap:

KCVinnie: Try this video out to start with. It's a little unorganized but has some good info.

I'm most intrigued by the putts at the 3:30 and 4:00 mark. The first putt gives me hope that a spin putter can make these things glide, (I had a lot of the same dropping putt issues with the Ion as some others have mentioned.) But the putt at the 4min mark reminds me a lot of how my distance putts looked with the Ion. Putt nose up, and watch the disc stall and fall. I REALLY want to be able to give these things a real shot at making my bag.

Well one thing to keep in mind is for the entire time I've played disc golf I've putted with discs that have some give to the flight plate. I can't properly adjust to a firm flight plate on a putt, just a drive. So a lot of those misses were completely due to my preferences and nothing more. If I had a soft Anode for this video I think I would of made twice as many putts, as a lot of those close misses were ones I knew I could make. It does glide out longer and fade later than my Ions, I can say that for sure...I just need a soft to really give it a go on putting.

Last edited:
what do you think the anode will be like with the bead worn off? I like the Ion a lot, but I was thinking of getting a couple and wearing the bead off one... what do you think all the differences would be?

what do you think the anode will be like with the bead worn off? I like the Ion a lot, but I was thinking of getting a couple and wearing the bead off one... what do you think all the differences would be?

I think you're going to have a fun time trying to wear down the bead. I've been using a 2nd run for about a year and a half and there still is quite a bit of bead on it.

I just got back from a windy round at the course. I ended up playing in a foursome, so I didn't get to go crazy with my Anodes like I may have if I played alone, but I got some great feedback in the wind. Though last night in the field I didn't see notice any sure high speed turn on my throws, today with cross and headwinds my Anodes were turning a little. The turn was predictable though and they cut through all but the strongest gusts surprisingly well. My buddy, who putts with Aviars, was throwing them with me. He said he would definitely use the Anode alongside his Aviar for it's performance in the wind. Besides that, it was just long and straight. I was throwing a lot of shots with slight hyzer that were pushing very straight without ever quite losing their hyzer orientation. I haven't thrown any premium beadless Aviars much, but the stability reminds me of the stiffer Qmegas. I was having better luck with my 171-172g Anodes than my 174 purple one. The lighter ones are a little domier/higher shouldered, and they seem to glide better.

I was objective as I could be in that first paragraph, so now I'm going to just say that I love this disc. I think it is the most versatile in MVP's lineup, and the best disc out of the box for a one-disc round.

KCVinnie: Try this video out to start with. It's a little unorganized but has some good info.

Well one thing to keep in mind is for the entire time I've played disc golf I've putted with discs that have some give to the flight plate. I can't properly adjust to a firm flight plate on a putt, just a drive. So a lot of those misses were completely due to my preferences and nothing more. If I had a soft Anode for this video I think I would of made twice as many putts, as a lot of those close misses were ones I knew I could make. It does glide out longer and fade later than my Ions, I can say that for sure...I just need a soft to really give it a go on putting.

Oh, man. Your putting is likely much better than mine. I was just commenting on the disc's flight. Your putting style is very similar to mine, so I was trying to judge how it would fly for me.

I'm okay with skipping them across a parking lot or gravel road. Or is that against the rules?

That will scratch them up and perhaps cause a gouge or two, but it's going to take some serious mutilation to actually remove any percentage of the bottom of an Anode/Ion. On a related note, I think that simply getting the bottom of the bead a bit scratched/textured helps delay fade and adds a bit of glide.

As far a legality goes, that's a can of worms for another thread. I can say that most people would not consider a thrown disc impacting the outside environment an illegal modification, and you are most assuredly never going to be called out at a tournament by the TD for having such discs in your bag.

As far a legality goes, that's a can of worms for another thread.

Hahah, that's putting it lightly :p

I threw together a few extra shots here. In particular I had my friend drive #12 with one of them which I thought would be interesting. He never putter drives and has been playing for 6 months or so, did well considering.

^^^^ Nice FH approach in there. Thats nice to see as I like to use those from time to time.

got mine today. as someone who used sirius omegas heavily for years, these feel like home.

putted them around the warehouse a bit and so far so good. best indoor putter nearly on the market!