• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go to mvpdiscsports website, and click on a distance driver on the discs page, it will list the range of weights that the mold is supposedly produced in.

https://mvpdiscsports.com/discs/?discfilter[type]=distance-driver

Based on the weights listed, you probably cannot expect any 14 speed drivers to be under 170g. But, the 13 speeds will get under 170g, and some speed 11 molds are produced under 160g.

Wow, I don't know how I missed that on my first couple of look-throughs, thanks!

So does anyone have any idea how the vote for the next release is going? I tried FB but couldn't find it.

I also pulled out my Spin again, the Ohms pretty good and so is the electron Envy but it's no proton Spin :D

Well we know, they know.. That they have a big hole there, gyro understable has been an issue for them. They hinted that it would be more neutral / understable in the gyropalooza and that they were really trying to get it "just right" and fill the Theory hole.

The Theory arguably being their best attempt at it.. but they have really struggled, they have tried undercutting the bottom rim and have achieved decent understability but they just can't seem to get good lift/glide with that rim. Sure it will turn but they don't hold height like it should... Spin, Vertex, Tangent.. Theory. The mids come up short. When you get the nose down to turn it drops too fast and you need a certain amount of juice to get it up to speed.

The Axis is a great mid except for the high power requirement to get the intended flight. If you can throw it 275'+ it's awesome. I loved that thing 5-6 yrs ago. I feel like they are going to nail it this time, they've been twiddling with it for 10yrs now and I'm encouraged by the Ohm and Reactor.

Last edited:
Well we know, they know.. That they have a big hole there, gyro understable has been an issue for them. They hinted that it would be more neutral / understable in the gyropalooza and that they were really trying to get it "just right" and fill the Theory hole.

The Theory arguably being their best attempt at it.. but they have really struggled, they have tried undercutting the bottom rim and have achieved decent understability but they just can't seem to get good lift/glide with that rim. Sure it will turn but they don't hold height like it should... Spin, Vertex, Tangent.. Theory. The mids come up short. When you get the nose down to turn it drops too fast and you need a certain amount of juice to get it up to speed.

The Axis is a great mid except for the high power requirement to get the intended flight. If you can throw it 275'+ it's awesome. I loved that thing 5-6 yrs ago. I feel like they are going to nail it this time, they've been twiddling with it for 10yrs now and I'm encouraged by the Ohm and Reactor.

I very much agree with your post. Weakest part of the greater MVP lineup is midranges. For all the effort (molds) they've yet to really impress me, and you kind of have to throw the snot out of any of them, but especially the understable end. Vertex will do cool tricks but lacks glide, Tangent (OOP?) is closer but lacks speed, or distance anyways. The Axis is OK, but mostly domey. Reactor shows promise and progress. I think the direction is there. Will be interested in Conrad's designs.

I very much agree with your post. Weakest part of the greater MVP lineup is midranges. For all the effort (molds) they've yet to really impress me, and you kind of have to throw the snot out of any of them, but especially the understable end. Vertex will do cool tricks but lacks glide, Tangent (OOP?) is closer but lacks speed, or distance anyways. The Axis is OK, but mostly domey. Reactor shows promise and progress. I think the direction is there. Will be interested in Conrad's designs.

It's also strange how easily the putters and fairways are to throw compared to the mids...

It's also strange how easily the putters and fairways are to throw compared to the mids...

Yes.. More or less. The putters also take a certain amount of juice and they hate nose up throws. (Unless you wanted a hard fade)

I wonder if those new to gyro notice as much as I did when I got my first ion... everyone on DGCR was super stoked about line holding and long drives... so I was super stoked to get it.... And I couldn't throw it worth a damn! What a turd, kinda flew like a champ rhyno without the glide, it also hurt my arm and wrist. The folks here loved it so I kept at it and cleaned up my form a lot and then bought more gyro... and then almost all gyro... and now I'm one of those "guys" .

FWIW I think the ohm is an excellent tangent replacement very similar flight with a lower speed rating and improved glide. I still love that shallow round rim on those.
Tangent/Comet is a solid mid combination,
Placement, light wind resistance/glidey, distance and tricky.

If I had to play a one-disc round in the woods, Theory would be the disc. Much as I enjoyed the disc it didn't stay in the bag because putters are better at being putters and mids are better at being mids.

But if I needed one disc to do both, Theory would be the disc.

If I had to play a one-disc round in the woods, Theory would be the disc. Much as I enjoyed the disc it didn't stay in the bag because putters are better at being putters and mids are better at being mids.

But if I needed one disc to do both, Theory would be the disc.

I feel the same way about the Tangent, I've had mine since day one release so they are beat in to Theory level or beyond haha, kinda like my inertia vs insanity..

I love the feel of the Tangent since the first time I picked it up. Just a nice round shallow disc. Less glide than the Axis but good lines, the Ohm phased it out for me though.

Out of all the mids they scrapped and despite my love of Tangent and Axis the Theory made the least sense.

I feel the same way about the Tangent, I've had mine since day one release so they are beat in to Theory level or beyond haha, kinda like my inertia vs insanity..

Hmm, now you have me wondering whether I was thinking of Tangent rather than Theory.

<--- Ancient brain no work so good sometimes.

Theory is a broken in tangent but has more of a 45 degree cut on the bottom rim.. Tangent is totally round like a flat Ion.. Don't worry we can all be throwing a hex by June.. Just got a:

MVP news release:

Starting April 12th, 2021, MVP HQ will stop accepting new orders and will focus on finalizing, packing, and shipping orders received prior to that time.*

On May 5th, we plan to open up our order processing using the new system. During this time, we will have a small batch of restocks and custom stamping items available as a beta test for our dealers to order on the new system. This will also help us work through any unforeseen bugs that might have been missed in our internal Q/A.*

Later in May, assuming our system is stable and working, we plan to have a HUGE release featuring a new Disc product, more restocks, and a much-improved order experience!

March 29th release

To help offset this period of inactivity from MVP, we are planning for a restock release on March 29th that will feature some great items for your stores. Keep your eyes out for that newsletter.*

Last edited:
I don't know exactly what it is about MVP putters, but I'm finding them VERY easy to use compared to the other putters I have. The best thing is that every disc will have it's haters, and because of that I scored a mint "used" clear green Anode in Proton this morning for next to nothing. I doubt it has no more than a few rounds on it.

I can't speak for the putters because the only one I've tried is the spin and I don't particularly care for how that feels, but I love love love MVP fairways. Aside from my Timberwolf, all of my fairways are MVP (Motion, Tesla, Relay, Signal). I love the neutron plastic and both the tesla and motion feel so natural to flick and to throw backhand. I really dig the relay, but only recently discovered how awesome and useful the signal is. MVP (the gyro?) fairways taught me a lot about flight, snap, and my form. Understable MVP discs are not as forgiving as other brands for weaker arms. Take for example the Discraft Archer and the MVP Signal. Both are speed 6ish with decent glide, a lot of turn, and little fade. But slow arms will get nice easy straight throws with the archer and almost imperceptable fades. You can use the archer like a midrange (even feels like one) or an approach disc. If you don't generate a lot of rotational speed, the archer still works out. The signal does not. Without enough rotational speed the disc totally underperforms worse than the archer. But give it enough and it blows away the archer with a much later turn (or a straighter hyzerflip with delayed turnover). I find that MVP understability is very consistent and controllable and that's why I carry both a relay and a signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts