• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo MVP/Axiom: I am almost out of Neutron Waves in the 150s. Please make more. TYVM.

You could make more Plasma Insanitys in the 150s also, but I seem to have moved on due to lack of availability.

Yo MVP/Axiom: I am almost out of Neutron Waves in the 150s. Please make more. TYVM.

You could make more Plasma Insanitys in the 150s also, but I seem to have moved on due to lack of availability.

Im hoping we are starting to see the start of "normal" stock levels. Maybe. Who knows.

Have you tried fission waves? They are a little flippier, but I love the plastic and the flight I get. I throw them in the mid 160's and while easy to turn, they aren't uncontrollable by any means. Lots of them in stock right now too. Discgolfcenter has them from 146-175 grams.

I wanna try a 146 just for fun!

Have you tried fission waves? They are a little flippier, but I love the plastic and the flight I get. I throw them in the mid 160's and while easy to turn, they aren't uncontrollable by any means. Lots of them in stock right now too. Discgolfcenter has them from 146-175 grams.

I wanna try a 146 just for fun!

I have some Fission Waves in the 150s. Only threw them a few times, but with a substantial dome Fizz Waves seemed to fly quite differently than the flat Neutrons I am used to. I do not remember how Fizz Waves flew but they ended up in the "sell" bin pretty quickly.

Anyone out there throwing a Catalyst? I got one from a friend and it was interesting throwing it today. On a hyzer it held the line the whole way but penetrated pretty good. 370-390 and then when I threw it flat it turned a bit, but also didn't fade hardly at all.

I wonder if it could be a good max D backhand disc for me, but it seems like it could be very frustrating for someone with much lower or honestly much higher power.

Anyone out there throwing a Catalyst? I got one from a friend and it was interesting throwing it today. On a hyzer it held the line the whole way but penetrated pretty good. 370-390 and then when I threw it flat it turned a bit, but also didn't fade hardly at all.

I wonder if it could be a good max D backhand disc for me, but it seems like it could be very frustrating for someone with much lower or honestly much higher power.

Losing discs seems to come in clusters for me. I had picked up a neutron and plasma mayhem that I was starting to click with and managed to lose them both within a couple days. Was at my local shop and they had a couple catalysts in stock so I grabbed 2 upper 160's neutrons since the numbers were similar enough to the mayhem and felt comfy in the hand.

I haven't thrown much within the last two months or so because my lower back has been out of whack, but the little bit I did toss them they had potential. I was throwing them FH though with a flat to maybe slight hyzer release. It was kinda damp and windy the day I tested them, but seemed very speed dependent to show turn, but once they'd flip they'd flip a long way but fight out at the end. If they wouldn't flip into some turn they'd always seem to carry longer than I'd expect on a straight to fade line.

I think they've got the potential to go pretty far, but will need a fair amount of space to make it happen. The mayhems I was throwing were newer runs…apparently they're flatter and a bit beefier than the old domey ones? Mayhem on the same type of FH release would track a bit with a decent fade, wouldn't actually flip over for me. They were fairly fresh though, but I was getting them out to 400 in a flat FH pull.

I dig the plasma insanity as my slight hyzerflip to laser beam FH disc…basically been looking for a longer insanity for max d.

Is this good?

Fission 161

Proton 164

Cosmic 168

In order of increasing stability. The proton actually responds well to my miserable forehand and so we may end up with a special bond.

Attachments

• E52EEF9B-45A9-47D5-AB89-BECF8806F3B9.jpg
    E52EEF9B-45A9-47D5-AB89-BECF8806F3B9.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 30
Anyone out there throwing a Catalyst?

Somehow I can't really figure out if I should have a Catalyst or a Wave in the bag. The Catalyst at least has more utility for forehands and predictability, but the Wave is so effortless at low ceiling > 350' hyzer flips. I really just need to restock my Insanitys as I think they cover most of what I need between those two even if it is a bit slower.

I've got a 146 se fission wave, it's fun, it's a turn machine, I have burned it a few times haha. Kinda like my 160 orbital with a chance of fade. All the turn but less goofy.

A 155 neutron wave is beefier, I'd say it's equivalent is somewhere around about a 163/5 fission.

At my short and shortening distance... I shelved my waves for now until the spring or I'm more fluid.. Opted to use my cosmic 155 insanity.. A little more in my speed range at 300ish with lots of potential for distance on a downhill with less lateral movement. I'd say the long distance version of an insanity is the mayhem, little turn little fade, altogether very proportional turn vs fade and very cheatable at low speeds. Mine are domey old runs though, I only use em in ridiculous wind. They are well out of my speed bracket but the one I like the most.

Catalyst seems to work for a very specific speed range, most of the people with more power found em a little goofy and looked for domey octanes.

A 155 neutron wave is beefier, I'd say
Catalyst seems to work for a very specific speed range, most of the people with more power found em a little goofy and looked for domey octanes.

It's really funny, the more I throw it, it seems to have a very specific speed where it goes from super realizable to an unpredictable flip machine.

70% with hyzer, did the same thing every time went a long way and penetrated while fading. Thrown any harder or flatter. No freaking idea.

It's for a beautiful dye, so I may keep it but I probably won't bag it.

I'm bagging my gyro bag for the Winter so I've started throwing mine again after a year and despite adding a good bit of distance my N Cat is actually a bit less flippy than I remember. I think it's just really sensitive to OAT because I'm throwing harder but cleaner also. If you're hitting 400'+ easily it's likely still U-S for sure but it down tempos well.

So I've been reading the Uplink thread and I'm not sure there's a good Axis replacement yet. The Hex is more Buzzz whereas the Axis is more Qms and the Uplink sounds way too flippy. I'm splitting hairs but the Axis is a better flip up to straight mid (better glide IMO) than the Hex I've got which is your typical "throw hard and flattish and it just goes dead straight."

Thoughts?

So I've been reading the Uplink thread and I'm not sure there's a good Axis replacement yet. The Hex is more Buzzz whereas the Axis is more Qms and the Uplink sounds way too flippy. I'm splitting hairs but the Axis is a better flip up to straight mid (better glide IMO) than the Hex I've got which is your typical "throw hard and flattish and it just goes dead straight."

Thoughts?

Well depending on how your body has treated you the last decade :D... the uplink fits the bill for how I remember my axis flying haha.

Thoughts?

Well. I used to bag a 2017(18?) Circuit series plasma Axis. I have replaced it with the Hex. My axis was never really a flip up to straight disc, it was always just a goes where you throw it disc. Throw it flat, it just went straight, hyzer it and it held, anny it and it held.

The hex seems to be doing that pretty well, too. I might get a touch more lateral wiggle with my hex thrown flat and hard, but is pretty minor at the distance I'm throwing them (250-260ish for reference).

The biggest thing I've liked about the swap is that it took a concerted effort to get the axis out to that distance for me. The hex gets there easier and faster. It's added a little more separation from my putters. Ions go dam far, and there was a little overlap between my axis and ion. And given any possible opportunity, I'm throwing my Ion.

Also: try as I might, I could never throw the Axis forehand. Just would work at all for me. The hex I can forehand really well, by my standards at least. That's been a game changer for me too.

PS. MVP- BRING BACK THE PLASMA ION! Round fingers for the win!

Last edited:

Thoughts?

I'm still gathering data on the Uplink. I do think it is pretty HS-US. I will say that there is WORLD of difference between a max weight Hex and a 170 gm Hex. If I wanted a hyzer flip Hex, I'd look for no heavier than 171, and a soft (flexible) flight plate. Good luck.

I'm still gathering data on the Uplink. I do think it is pretty HS-US. I will say that there is WORLD of difference between a max weight Hex and a 170 gm Hex. If I wanted a hyzer flip Hex, I'd look for no heavier than 171, and a soft (flexible) flight plate. Good luck.

I think you are absolutely right!

But honestly I never got the hyzerflip on an axis. Hex is really good at straight to fade but arc for arc the axis was a machine for me. Hex is decent but it still goes pretty straight it doesn't hold the same anny arc's for me... but neither does an axis haha.

The axis is real hard to replace or replicate. I just wish they had run em in 170g fission haha. The hex needs more glide or wing or something, the uplink needs more stability but I stand by my statement it's a "broken man's axis"

Ok double post, you won't think any worse of me :D haha forgot what i came here to say first time...

Threw some friggin FH rockets with the cosmic 158 se insanity today... just long glidey lasers. Got the best drive I've had in years on 14 it coulda gone all the way if it hadn't clipped a tree. Crushed it FH on 24 and a long turning BH on a huge uphill #27 made it pin high just fought out of the turn to not burn, not fast enough to Bird. Really good distance for me!

Finally got most of the icky MVP/Axiom discs out of my bag.

Except for the Envy. Hard not to bag the Envy.

Finally got out yesterday with some of my more recent gyro pickups. Wind was minimal, and I was throwing everything BH. To preface, I've been overhauling the BH throw, so everything was basically from a standstill with some weight shift back and a shuffle step forward with the lead foot to get some weight shift and brace.

172 paradox vs 179 uplink. I was having difficulty hyzerflipping the paradox to flat abs keeping it there. It'd hyzerflip to flat, ride straight a bit, and eventually turn over…never really turned and burned unless I obviously hit it way too hard. Uplink was much better at the hyzerflip to straight line, and with a bit more power would turn over like the paradox. Was probably in the 250-280 range with them. I'll probably bag the uplink instead, seems like I was able to hit more useful golf lines with it. Paradox is fun to throw, just not sure how often I'd actually throw it on the course…probably most usable in low power, short arm swing type situations. It was crazy watching my buddy throw the paradox though. He hit a handful of throws in the 430-450 range yesterday, but threw the comet for a long time. Threw some ridiculously steep hyzer angles at low power but high spin and had that disc hitting lines I didn't think were possible. Crazy high lines that'd hold hyzer the hole way, or hold hyzer forever and eventually flatten out but never turn over for big distance.

Glow proxy didn't seem to fly any different than my neutron or plasma.

Gyro box had a white upper 160's soft electron nomad. I'd felt nomads up in the shop but this white one felt really good, the plastic almost had a rubbery feel to it. I putt with wizards now, tested the nomad yesterday. Putting stroke is more push than spin, and it seemed the bit I've putted with my soft electron proxy or envy they just didn't wanna go anywhere…I'm guessing because of low spin on the putts. Not sure if it was because the nomad is deeper, lighter weight, or just the shape overall, but I didn't seem to have that issue with it. There's really nothing wrong with my wizards, I've putted with them for years. This particular nomad just felt really good. I did notice a slight yellow discoloration in the plastic, but mot sure if that's why it was a lab second or maybe that particular blend was something experimental. Seems like those upper 160 white nomads were fairly common in the boxes.

Eclipse insanity vs inertia. I've tossed the insanity a round or two previously, so it's got a couple things but no major damage. I hand picked it from the local shop so I could compare PLH's and get one that wasn't quite as beefy. No noticeable difference for me BH…pretty much straight to fade type flight. Upper 160's plasma insanity would show some high speed turn and gently fade, pretty much true to flight with 20-40 feet more distance. Let my buddy toss these and he was getting some high speed turn and a mild fade out of them…pretty similar to what I was getting out of my plasma insanity. Seems like the magical threshold on these is about 400 feet of power and they start straightening out, less than that and you get straight to fade. He seemed to prefer the eclipse inertia. To me it seemed like the flight of the insanity was more a molding fluke and the inertia is closer to what it should fly like. I had a proton inertia years ago, but am kinda looking forward to a restock to try it in other plastics.

Cosmic neutron trace in the upper 160's was a cool disc. I buy the straighter wraith description. Slightly larger rim, it being kinda cold, and timing of my brace not being super consistent led to some solid throws and some straight garbage throws. More testing needed, and curious to what type of FH lines I can hit with it compared to my plasma insanity.

Upper 160's neutron catalyst. Throwing it FH previously it seemed like it was very picky bout showing some high speed turn and crushing or going straight to fade with pretty decent distance. I had issues with low releases BH yesterday but probably had my longest standstill throw of the day with it. Waist high the whole way probably in the 350 range, tracked right just a hair with fade at the end. My buddy had a couple throws over 400 with them. He bags a couple upper 160's wraiths and destroyers that are fairly flippy and will ride the turnover from a flat release for quite a while but fight out at the end. Catalyst was still flipping and riding a while for him but didn't seem as exaggerated as the wraith and destroyers, but those are broken in, catalysts were fresh. We both seemed to think the catalyst looked and flew like a beefier tern without the shallow feeling in the hand. I liked it BH but in reality with where I'm at trying to piece together some proper form I don't need to be throwing it right now.

Heads up, discgolfcenter has some MVP restocks including Servos, Resistors, Craves etc.

Heads up, discgolfcenter has some MVP restocks including Servos, Resistors, Craves etc.

I saw some plasma Servos listed somewhere else the other day as well so I bet within the next week or so people should be able to find them in several places.

Status
Not open for further replies.