• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been away from these companies for a bit. Can you guys tell me the if there is a consensus on a more OS Envy?

Basically some just retain their flight better than others. I beat the crap out of a Neutron soft and it didn't do anything to the flight. Don't know if any are legit overstable. TP/VIP Harp can get that flight with more fade, but the Envy while awesome, I can never get to fade hard.

Been away from these companies for a bit. Can you guys tell me the if there is a consensus on a more OS Envy?

My sample of one sparkle proton is definitely more OS than my plasma and neutrons. Just started throwing a 165g eclipse that's similar to the plaz and neutrons in stability.

More OS Envy? I'd say Stabilizer....then Entropy. If you want something a good tick more OS but still has glide and distance potential, the Stabilizer is great. If you want a more Zone-like disc the Entropy is more like that, significantly more OS than an Envy tho.

And for the PYRO talk. I have only used the Circuit event Neutron/Plasma sparkle rim 176g. This thing is OS for sure but not a glideless knife. I really like it. Like a lot of gyro discs I can just feel the workability in the beginning of the flight but it has a nice hard fade at the end, its definitely OS - takes flex lines well and always fights out. I really like it. 5/4/0/3.5 is pretty accurate I think, maybe even just a 3 fade. But its more OS than an MD4 , more OS than a lot of things but not nearly as OS as a Justice.

My N Stabilizer is basically a deeper, more reliably OS version of my N Envy. That's all I got for you.

Proton Envy, max weight. If that's not enough, time for a different mold.

Eclipse is less stable and closer to neutron than proton. I love it! but not the droid you're looking for.

Last edited:
Not a brick flight, no, but somewhat ballistic. Just like the word stable, I think many of us use the word glide differently. How about this, the Pyro lacks lift and has a high stall speed; It is more aerodynamic than the bricks type flight, I will agree with you there.

Mine is Neutron Prism. I am comparing it to any other mid, by any company, I have ever thrown; I have not thrown the Deflector nor the Runway. I would give it a glide of 2.

I am a woods golfer, so most of the shots I was attempting to use it for was 100 to 150 feet. I don't know how far I can throw it on a drive... I rarely ever drive with any mid.

5 of us got Neutron Prism Pyros. Not all the same weight or color, but all have the same type flight. None of us bag them.... and it is a mid, not a fairway

I'm glad that you expanded a bit on why you feel the Pyro lacks glide for a mid. We all know the Pyro is a mid, but it has a rim thickness of 1.6, which is as long of wing as a Stalker. Roc/Buzzz are 1.2cm for comparison. This is why I was comparing it to a fairway driver. At 100-150' a Pyro would have very little glide because it is a fast overstable mid being underthrown. I don't think it's fair to assess the Pyro's glide number based on this type of use. This is the territory of a putter/mid approach hybrid like the Zone rather than a mid/fairway hybrid like the Pyro.

I use the Envy / Entropy combo. I'm very picky about putter shape. Entropy will be the closest feel to the Envy - but it's faster and significantly more OS. I checked out the Stabalizer but didn't care for the shape. I guess it's closer to the Envy's flight but OS. So if feel is a big deal, check out Entropy. If you just want a bit more OS but feel ain't important, check out Stabalizer.

As far as Envy's.. I don't want anyone to get me wrong on the SE eclipse, it is mellow proton it is not less stable than a plasma of similar weight unlike the SE Crave. It is less stable than a standard proton Envy, more on the front end (HSS). Going from a 172 plasma to a 165 eclipse is probably an equivalent jump.

My mainstays are 167 plasma Envy's with a couple 165's thrown in. I usually pack a soft E 165 and a plasma, I can turn them a bit to flex my lines and if I have height I can force a 200' anny pretty easy. The soft Electron is now at a point where it will finish left (LHBH) downhill.

The eclipse comes along half the time as a side of beef for FH's (and BH) and I play with it exclusively at night golf. It is still very stable on a downhill run.

I throw the 165 Eclipse Envys as my driving putters. I was throwing 175 plasma but started having significant arm pain... so I went looking for lighter weight discs. The 165 Eclipse have enough beef to hold lines and I love the lighter weight. I tend to favor flat, anny, or flex lines so this works well for me.

I've slowly migrated all my discs to lighter weights. All my drivers are now 150 class Neutron. The one disc I can't seem to get the weight down on is the Entropy. Can't find 'em below 170.

I carry 168 Plasma and Eclipse Envys for putt approach. I use the Plasma in the circle and for anhyzer approach shots, the Eclipse for Hyzer approach.

I'm glad that you expanded a bit on why you feel the Pyro lacks glide for a mid. We all know the Pyro is a mid, but it has a rim thickness of 1.6, which is as long of wing as a Stalker. Roc/Buzzz are 1.2cm for comparison. This is why I was comparing it to a fairway driver. At 100-150' a Pyro would have very little glide because it is a fast overstable mid being underthrown. I don't think it's fair to assess the Pyro's glide number based on this type of use. This is the territory of a putter/mid approach hybrid like the Zone rather than a mid/fairway hybrid like the Pyro.

The Pyro is not that overstable. It has about the same stability as the Kaxe and the Kaxe has a lest twice the glide.

I think we are using terms differently. Falling out of the sky does not mean overstable, that means it has a high stall speed. I can power down a Motion to a lower speed than I can the Pyro... does that mean that the Pyro is more OS than the Motion?

One of my new years goals is to set up a glossary of terms in a git repo. That way we can all have access to it and branch it and vote on which branch becomes the master. It could be that I am using the terms incorrectly

I use the Envy / Entropy combo. I'm very picky about putter shape. Entropy will be the closest feel to the Envy - but it's faster and significantly more OS. I checked out the Stabalizer but didn't care for the shape. I guess it's closer to the Envy's flight but OS. So if feel is a big deal, check out Entropy. If you just want a bit more OS but feel ain't important, check out Stabalizer.

Particle?

Particle has more turn than the Envy, just a harder fade. If that is what you want, then it's the correct disc for you. I think it just went OOP though... double check me on that last part.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of the Particle. It really wasn't much different than an Atom or Envy. It was just Less consistent. It sometimes would go TOO STARIGHT and sometimes have a lil too much fade, it didn't resist turn that great so the fade was all dependent on your finesse. Atom or Stabilizer now and I don't have those worries anymore.

The Entropy has been on my purchase list for the same reason. The Stabilizer just doesn't feel as good FH as the Envy and I think the dumpiness of the Entropy will complement the Envy better for my game.

When I bagged my Stabilizer, I found myself using it most for straight to fade BH shots, like a workhorse mid. It was basically a slower Matrix or Alias in terms of flight/role.

Particle?

They OOP'd the Particle so you probably shouldn't bother trying it.

Oops... I guess I should have read the last page first.:D

Since you haven't been around the MVP threads and if you hadn't heard, they killed a bunch of molds including the original mid line up and several discs lost a plastic type or two... Here's the announcement with the list of OOPs...

https://mvpdiscsports.com/news/update-to-the-mvp-discs-lineup/

Last edited:
They OOP'd the Particle so you probably shouldn't bother trying it.

Oops... I guess I should have read the last page first.:D

Since you haven't been around the MVP threads and if you hadn't heard, they killed a bunch of molds including the original mid line up and several discs lost a plastic type or two... Here's the announcement with the list of OOPs...

https://mvpdiscsports.com/news/update-to-the-mvp-discs-lineup/

Thanks for reposting that. I was looking for it the other day. I had forgotten that over half my bag went oop.....

The Entropy has been on my purchase list for the same reason. The Stabilizer just doesn't feel as good FH as the Envy and I think the dumpiness of the Entropy will complement the Envy better for my game.

When I bagged my Stabilizer, I found myself using it most for straight to fade BH shots, like a workhorse mid. It was basically a slower Matrix or Alias in terms of flight/role.

I really ride the Matrix, Entropy, and Envy pretty heavy on most courses. I'm 95% RHBH.

Did you try the Deflector? I find the Entropy to have a similar flight, but slower and therefore more shapeable. I like the shape way better than Deflector. I throw the Entropy for placement shots, mid-range and approach flex shots, etc. I also use it for utility shots - junk lies and the like. I'm trying to learn how to forehand roll-it. I've got one hole locally thats a beastly hard 275' 90 degree dog leg right in the woods. Most players RHFH it. I RHBH anny the Entropy and it just fights perfectly all the way to the pin.

I really ride the Matrix, Entropy, and Envy pretty heavy on most courses. I'm 95% RHBH.

Did you try the Deflector? I find the Entropy to have a similar flight, but slower and therefore more shapeable. I like the shape way better than Deflector. I throw the Entropy for placement shots, mid-range and approach flex shots, etc. I also use it for utility shots - junk lies and the like. I'm trying to learn how to forehand roll-it. I've got one hole locally thats a beastly hard 275' 90 degree dog leg right in the woods. Most players RHFH it. I RHBH anny the Entropy and it just fights perfectly all the way to the pin.

:thmbup:

I'm bagging the Deflector now and really trying to find uses for it but I'm just not gelling with the flight. I play a lot of woods golf and often have to throw a straddle out of the rough FH flex shot and the Deflector is just hard to dial in for this. It doesn't flex out of an anny as well as I think it should considering how overstable it flies when flat or hyzer. So I keep trying to throw it on the slightest anny to get a good flex line and it's just tricky finding that sweet spot. This isn't making it very useful for utility shots. If I play a round or two with basically just it I might be able to figure it out but it's just not intuitive to me right now. I'm used to throwing an A2, Anvil or Justice for these shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts