• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm heading to play The Fort this afternoon for the first time since Conrad's Miracle. I just may have to throw an Envy on 80% of my tee shots to see if I can steal his mojo!

Unfortunately I have a dollar that says you could have your best round ever and the internet wouldn't explode like it did for him.

210741619_4515674491778747_5755025169992433575_n.jpg

I feel a little bit (definitely) in the minority here because I actually like the Pilot more than the Envy. The Proxy and Envy are so long that they go as far as my mids which is what a lot of people like about them. But then I have nothing to throw shorter than my mids...I get it, just power the shot down, but I feel like since the Pilot doesn't go as far (and it still goes pretty darn far for a putter...) I have more shots covered. I've been doing a Pilot/Anode combo which is weird, but it's been great for me between the Anode's floaty straight flight and the Pilot's more piercing less glidey flight.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to rip on an Envy or Proxy, but for my bag, I just prefer other discs. No hate, just wanted to get that off my chest after seeing all of the JC Envy posts...lol

I feel a little bit (definitely) in the minority here because I actually like the Pilot more than the Envy. The Proxy and Envy are so long that they go as far as my mids which is what a lot of people like about them. But then I have nothing to throw shorter than my mids...I get it, just power the shot down, but I feel like since the Pilot doesn't go as far (and it still goes pretty darn far for a putter...) I have more shots covered. I've been doing a Pilot/Anode combo which is weird, but it's been great for me between the Anode's floaty straight flight and the Pilot's more piercing less glidey flight.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to rip on an Envy or Proxy, but for my bag, I just prefer other discs. No hate, just wanted to get that off my chest after seeing all of the JC Envy posts...lol

I have seen so many intermediate/advanced players bagging Pilots recently. I think you many not be as much a minority as you think!

Personally I love the Envy because of the torque resistance. I can do a full pull for a 300ft+ shot and it doesn't risk flipping. I've never had another disc that I could say that about that didn't have a hard fade, which the envy of course does not.

What hole in their fairway lineup? Between the Volt, Relay, Crave and Resistor, I'm not really sure what else is needed...

MVP has 2 fairways on their upcoming list - so clearly they don't agree with you.

The loss of the Clash left a hole between the flippier Servo / Crave (TL clones) - and the Volt (Teebird3 clone) - and the OS Resistor. I've carried 3 of those 4 - but now only carry the Crave.

The Volt's lack of weight range in premium plastic makes it a no go for those of us who like a mid-160s or lighter driver - and while it comes in fission / electron in lighter weights, it also comes with a much flippier flight profile than even the Crave / Servo.

I've been waiting for years for the release of a 7(or 6.5) 5 0 2 Fairway in premium plastic and mid 160s wts to compete with the Teebird.

I stand by my statement... If you need more than those 4 fairways, there's something wrong with your game... or you are way too picky.

I agree there, I have 3 and it seems excessive, though I don't know what I could drop.

I stand by my statement... If you need more than those 4 fairways, there's something wrong with your game... or you are way too picky.

I agree for the most part.. I've got my bag pretty covered, but..... I'm not a huge fan of the Crave, it fills the slot but it's doesn't have the magical qualities of a relay.. The Volt is what the crave wishes it was.. And if you have enough arm it is, I scored a 165 neutron Volt and it is magical. My 172 ish FR is awesome too but 3g too heavy for me. If I've got a good throw end of summer kind of thing it's great.. Spring training and it's too beefy.

The Crave is kind of close but shorter and more angle sensitive, more a disc that uses power... love my SE eclipses, but they are less stable than the norm.

The volt has a tendency to go straight and feel the angle late in flight and kind of ride some glide but it takes more power to get going right. If it's in the sweet spot for your power level it is f@@@n sweet!!! If not it's a little dumpy...

I agree for the most part.. I've got my bag pretty covered, but..... I'm not a huge fan of the Crave, it fills the slot but it's doesn't have the magical qualities of a relay.. The Volt is what the crave wishes it was.. And if you have enough arm it is, I scored a 165 neutron Volt and it is magical. My 172 ish FR is awesome too but 3g too heavy for me. If I've got a good throw end of summer kind of thing it's great.. Spring training and it's too beefy.

The Crave is kind of close but shorter and more angle sensitive, more a disc that uses power... love my SE eclipses, but they are less stable than the norm.

The volt has a tendency to go straight and feel the angle late in flight and kind of ride some glide but it takes more power to get going right. If it's in the sweet spot for your power level it is f@@@n sweet!!! If not it's a little dumpy...

That's why they never should have changed them. My FR Volt had the best flight path i've ever had in a another disc. Had a Valk that was close but it had more of a dumpy fade when it flexed out of the S. Whereas that Pepto Volt would just sail forward.

My Crave is a thing a beauty. It lost 98% of its fade but has never really developed any turn. So you can just hammer on it flat and it will pretty much hold a straight line until right before it touches down. My FR Resistor more or less carries my "Tbird" slot. But even it is almost beat into what the crave is but with less glide.

Last edited:
That's why they never should have changed them. My FR Volt had the best flight path i've ever had in a another disc. Had a Valk that was close but it had more of a dumpy fade when it flexed out of the S. Whereas that Pepto Volt would just sail forward.

My Crave is a thing a beauty. It lost 98% of its fade but has never really developed any turn. So you can just hammer on it flat and it will pretty much hold a straight line until right before it touches down. My FR Resistor more or less carries my "Tbird" slot. But even it is almost beat into what the crave is but with less glide.

Amen to that, that neutron I picked up is very first runny. Little dome great flight, just a nice volt and in a weight I can control well.

I think the ideal fairway is straight like an Amp, has Relay kind of power requirements with the gyro push of a Volt. Amp was decent but it took much juice to get it going, kind of redundant with my Volts (at the time) yet lackluster.

Technically, I bag relay/crave/volt/resistor. But the volt is really just a space filler. I never throw it. I find myself reaching for my wrath instead.

Relay/crave/resistor and wrath/insanity fill my needs just fine.

I'm also admittedly not good at disc golf so your experience may vary :p

Unfortunately I have a dollar that says you could have your best round ever and the internet wouldn't explode like it did for him.

Well The Fort is back to non-tourney layout. Biggest difference is Worlds Basket 17 is actually Basket 18 for everyday play, and Worlds Basket 18 has been pulled and is being used for the normal Basket 17 location. The Gold 18 tee pad is still up, so you can throw the tee shot across the water just like in tourney coverage. But there is no basket over there and thus no way of re-creating James' shot, even sans fans. :(

Also, my +8 round is probably not worthy of breaking the internet.

Technically, I bag relay/crave/volt/resistor. But the volt is really just a space filler. I never throw it. I find myself reaching for my wrath instead.

Relay/crave/resistor and wrath/insanity fill my needs just fine.

I'm also admittedly not good at disc golf so your experience may vary :p

I'm pretty much the same way. N Volt in the bag but rarely throw it... except i go to Photons instead of Wrath. I used to go to Wrath but after i lost my FR Wrath(when they had those super gummy flight plates *Insert Homer drool gif*) I didn;t click with the next two i bought. Which was when i finally put the Volt back in the bag.

Last edited:
The volt is the best disc I carried that I loved but then I never threw. Well after they invented a 155 inertia anyways.

Time to swing it around and give it another solid go. Hooray for lighter weight Volts! I'm trying to lock down another 162 fission.. An inked and used, slight dome... hope I get it! Stay back wolfey I let you have your comet! Haha.

I don't want it that bad but $20 I'm in..

Ha! I saw ya getting all sweaty over that thing!

It's all yours man! I'm still a Rival man until MVP makes the Teebird to go with their Leopard (Relay)! Did I mention how much I love my new Relay??

Status
Not open for further replies.