• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I throw gyro because of the quality/consistency factor but also because of the science. So much of disc golf is about the archer not the arrow so the realized difference of the gyroscopic technology MVP is employing is not always tangible. But it's there nevertheless and I love aerodynamics and all things that fly so I really enjoy throwing gyro. If I didn't have that sort of preference I think I would have a more open bag

Kool-Aid tastes pretty good, don't it?

The only problem is, I think Cosmic is possibly the ugliest way to make a disc. Natural swirls are great, or a nice clean white, but I don't like the pinwheel look.

I do agree though, an X version of the molds would solve a lot of this. Maybe Neutron Soft can be the X version. Heck, even Eclipse, as it tends to mold up more stable anyway.

Now you're just talking out yo ass and you know better.

Depends on the run of cosmic, I liked the subtle lines of like the tesla SE as opposed to the lollipop that fell in the mud look. If it means I can look at a disc and realize it's more stable I can get behind cosmic.

I think intentionally running stuff with a higher plh etc could really be a boon for them but then it's a mold inconsistency problem too. Who doesn't hate X's and L's.? Only a small part of the disc population know the difference and it's a constant annoyance when you ask and the dude says "Its a 12X KC eagle just like the pic" , they don't even know there's a difference.

Eclipse envy are less stable, eclipse craves were less stable. Eclipse pilots, axis and reactors are more stable.

Last edited:
Kool-Aid tastes pretty good, don't it?

It tastes great! But seriously…every disc regardless of brand uses the gyroscopic effect to fly but putting the weight as far out from the center does affect the flight. It's marginal, but it's still definitely there. That's why I say it's more about the archer than the arrow so I'm a believer and supper of the science although I don't necessarily see the benefit all that consistently. Best I can use to compare was buzzz vs hex. During field work, same conditions, same lines, hex consistently travels 30 feet further

I'm hoping yhr Fission Craves fly 7/5/0/1

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Right I forgot they were doing that! The solution may already be in production!

I love the kool-aid! It took me a while initially to figure out that ion but once I did my throw started to improve a lot. It couldn't be man handled with oat I really needed to clean up my throw and I was really bad for nose up flips. The ion did not put up with that crap.

There really isn't much missing in my line up except a dead straight mid with a lower power requirement. There does seem to be issues with how much juice you need to use to activate/overcome the initial gyro stability. So in some ways there's a limitation there kind of. On the plus side it's works fantastic for light weight drivers, it gives them an edge over light solo molds for sure.

The rhythm totally fooled me, I expected stable from the profile, maybe the cypher will fool us. They have the signal still... could be understable overload.

I looked at a bunch of profiles, specifically the switch/relay/ signal.... I can't tell anything haha.

I got a 160.5 gram neutron Photon that is so stupidly overstable. It comes out of the hand and 50 ft in front of me its already tilted and hyzering. I threw it flat and hard, even into a little bit of a headwind, though not very much.

I was throwing beat in wraiths and a newer trace 300+ consistently, I was in circle 1 of a hole at that is 368 ft with a max weight ESP Thrasher.

I dont get MVP stuff. Its stupidly overstable for the numbers, especially in neutron.

Is it supposed to be this way? Do I really need to get a 150g neutron photon for it to fly at 11/5/-1/3? Thats what my wraith say and they go straight, have a little bit of turn, fade back to somewhere slightly left of where I throw. RHBH.

I got a 160.5 gram neutron Photon that is so stupidly overstable. It comes out of the hand and 50 ft in front of me its already tilted and hyzering. I threw it flat and hard, even into a little bit of a headwind, though not very much.

I have four Photons - my 157gm CN flies exactly like yours and I love it for just that. I also have a Fission around the same weight that flies a lot longer before having a hard fade. My other two are CN/Fission 170+gm and they are meathooks.

They fly nothing like my seasoned 165gm Star Wraith - that just goes straight and fades ever so slightly.

I dont get MVP stuff. Its stupidly overstable for the numbers, especially in neutron.
I would say the majority of my discs from MVP fly true to the numbers. I even appreciate that when a disc gets produced in electron the numbers are almost always updated to reflect the additional amount of turn. That said, it does seem like certain weights/plastics/specific runs seem to fly a certain way. I have a bendy james volt that is stupid overstable and although I have heard it beats out of the disc eventually, I gave up on it.

Is it supposed to be this way? Do I really need to get a 150g neutron photon for it to fly at 11/5/-1/3? Thats what my wraith say and they go straight, have a little bit of turn, fade back to somewhere slightly left of where I throw. RHBH.

I recently bought two fission photons one 170g and the other 155g. I went to a field that has about 10ft-20 ft. elevation drop across 500 feet. The 170g photon flies straight for about 275-300 and then begins this long panning fade and ends up about 340-360 down range but pretty far to the left. The 155g fission shows some turn, but not much yet, but is much straighter but still has a fairly predictable fade. It's also more workable as I accidentally gave it too much anhyzer and it rode that line forever and was just showing signs of fading out before it hit the ground.

Played Flyboy this weekend. Several long water carries and I'm down a Resistor and an Insanity. Really liking the Streamline Runway as a reliable approach disc, and my lighter Crave came out there and again at Oregon as the perfect FH escape disc: high panning anhyzers to the circle when I had no business getting out of trouble.

Fun on a longer course to see guys absolutely bomb 500 like it's normal.

I agree for the most part. I have tried many of their drivers and have concluded that the only molds I can make work and work as well as other companies are the Wave and Catalyst.

FWIW I think a lot of last year's production in the new factory suffered from a universally high plh. I thought it was the cosmic when I got my relays and volt. That volt puts a resistor to shame.

Gyro also does not tolerate nose up throws..

They should have run some OS cosmic craves before they tuned the machine to make flip turd craves instead

I agree for the most part. I have tried many of their drivers and have concluded that the only molds I can make work and work as well as other companies are the Wave and Catalyst.

Kind of noticed the same. Bought some Relays for those touchy shots in the woods and anhyzers but it just feels like l need to throw them quite hard to achieve that flight which is the opposite of what I want for finesse shots.
Don't get me wrong I like MVP but they just power down differently IMO. Like for example a beaten in Envy from 2014 that I have flies dead straight on a drive but is still surprisingly stable when approaching the basket softly. The disc is like 8 years old..:D While I know this is true with all OS discs I feel there is more to that..Maybe the fact that Gyro in general wants more spin..Or dislikes nose ups (which you sometimes want).
I currently have a Wizard covering the Envys duties..Still allows me to rip it with trust but also to play more with angles and easier to power down for short and floaty approaches.

As someone that only a couple of months ago started to test MVP family discs this has not at all been my experience. The only disc I've felt flew more stable than the numbers are the Flare. Otherwise my Envys, Hex, Reactor, Pyro, Relay and Trace all fly by the numbers, and my Craves being less stable than the numbers suggest. Most of them is in Neutron except for the Envys (Eclipse and Electron) and Trace (Proton).

It might be worth noting that this is in the winter as well, 0-10 degrees Celsius below freezing and lots of snow (although still with a run up). I definitely don't expect these discs to get more stable when the summer comes around and I can throw with more power.

Maybe the fact that Gyro in general wants more spin..Or dislikes nose ups (which you sometimes want).

So the concepts of torque and angular momentum are important when looking at the mechanics of throwing a disc. The more torque applied results in higher angular momentum (i.e. disc is spinning faster and will spin longer). With all things being equal (velocity and torque applied to the disc), having the weight concentrated to the edge of the disc as much as possible (the goal of MVP discs) will resist the amount of torque that is able to be applied. In other words, it requires more torque to get that disc to spin at the same rate as a disc that has weight that is not distributed quite as far out from the center.

So if you throw a wizard and an ion the same velocity with the same torque, the results are almost certainly going to be different. But should you get a little more snap on that ion, resulting in higher angular momentum (which may be equal to that of the wizard on a normal throw), it may be that it flies nearly the same as the wizard in those touchy shots.

Again, like I said a few posts ago, all discs by nature have the majority of the weight in the rim, so the difference between a solo-mold disc and the gryo-rimmed discs is not something significant. But it's there, it's real, and in theory will require a bit more snap to match the angular momentum to a solo-mold disc

This is most evident in those touchy <200' shots. However, it's also quite possibly the reason someone who starts trying MVP discs may experience them being more OS than they expected.

I don't think it has anything to do with gyro. I think it's the somewhat unique shoulders a lot of MVP drivers have. The angle of the rim it not continued into the flight plate. When the newer Fission Waves came out, the angle was largely the same on both and they are the best flying Waves ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.