• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my initial impressions on the new Fizzy Crave is, it bombs.

Take it with a grain of salt though. I've only had one round with it, and it was my first time throwing in a few weeks since rehabbing my should from a torn rotator cuff in my right (throwing) shoulder. While I was rehabbing, I also decided to do some form work at home, just trying to get my left arm into my throw more to help with my rotation. So IDK if all that form work is really what did it or if the Fizzy Crave is just that good, but it felt like I was getting effortless distance, and was hitting distances I haven't hit since before I turned 40.

Do any of you Gyronauts throw the Matrix? I was down a couple of Middys after throwing one of mine into a pond in an out of state tournament and having one grabbed off the green during a practice round.

Not having my go to mids ITB, I had a couple of Matrix in my stash that I though should fly pretty close. Only shot -5 today, but got two park jobs with the Matrix. Pretty good disc.

Sure do! I have an old proton that's been my go to mid for several seasons now. It's about time for a fresh one now though, finally beat mine straighter than I'd prefer.

Take it with a grain of salt though. I've only had one round with it, and it was my first time throwing in a few weeks since rehabbing my should from a torn rotator cuff in my right (throwing) shoulder. While I was rehabbing, I also decided to do some form work at home, just trying to get my left arm into my throw more to help with my rotation. So IDK if all that form work is really what did it or if the Fizzy Crave is just that good, but it felt like I was getting effortless distance, and was hitting distances I haven't hit since before I turned 40.

One's being delivered today and I'm really looking forward. Have rediscovered my Hokom Crave over the past few weeks and am hoping my response will be the same as it was with the Reactors, liking the disc even more than I already did (which is a lot, in both cases).

Do any of you Gyronauts throw the Matrix? I was down a couple of Middys after throwing one of mine into a pond in an out of state tournament and having one grabbed off the green during a practice round.

Not having my go to mids ITB, I had a couple of Matrix in my stash that I though should fly pretty close. Only shot -5 today, but got two park jobs with the Matrix. Pretty good disc.

Matt,

You're welcome to fold that Reactor into the bag permanently with no worries if it fits your game. Or maybe it's already one of the recently departed. Regardless, happy to share in any way that helps.

Michael

Matt,

You're welcome to fold that Reactor into the bag permanently with no worries if it fits your game. Or maybe it's already one of the recently departed. Regardless, happy to share in any way that helps.

Michael

Really appreciate it man, it's been on the shelf waiting for you but if you don't mind I might actually throw it!

Thanks!

Really appreciate it man, it's been on the shelf waiting for you but if you don't mind I might actually throw it!

Thanks!

I'll claim a small share of any ace pot money, but seriously, it's yours to enjoy.

I keep checking in your channel for a review. Still looking forward to your impressions, maybe with the Matrix and Runway.

Last edited:
Anybody else throwing the Jet? Gorgeous plastic, but very understable. I couldn't throw it above 80% power and not have significant turn, though thrown high enough, it did come back. Impressive glide while turned, expecially if given height. Nice BH roller for me, and I expect a good many players will find it to be a great driver. Hard for me to justify carrying it for intense tailwinds and roller only.

Anybody else throwing the Jet? Gorgeous plastic, but very understable. I couldn't throw it above 80% power and not have significant turn, though thrown high enough, it did come back. Impressive glide while turned, expecially if given height. Nice BH roller for me, and I expect a good many players will find it to be a great driver. Hard for me to justify carrying it for intense tailwinds and roller only.

Picked one up yesterday to play with. Haven't tossed it yet but I'm guessing I'll be able to give it a full rip without it crashing and burning. I am looking forward to seeing how it flies when I get a chance to take it for a spin.

What weight is your Fission Crave?

My understanding of the point of fission plastic is that the lighter core distributes more of the disc weight to the rim yet I've seen some as high as 172g.

I prefer my Craves close to max weight (and all of mine are cosmic neutron) so I'm curious if I picked up a heavier fission if it would do anything magical for me.

Do any of you Gyronauts throw the Matrix?.

I have been running Neutron Matrix, Electron Matrix, and Uplink as my mids. A deflector jumps in for 30mph winds which we have had a lot of, of late. I tried others but think that will be the mids for this year. The matrix in my grip just fits really well, both forehand and backhand.

Threw my new Jet some yesterday. Lost it right 8nto a light wind as one would expect with the -3. OTOH, I got no turn on a throw downwind when I normally get a bit from my other US stuff. Fun disc so far. Lots of glide. Not sure if I will bag it simply because of the courses I play. There just aren't any holes that require 11 speed discs. They are either Mac distance or much shorter tee shots. I don't see this one going as far as Terns, Waves Corvettes or Pharaohs.

What weight is your Fission Crave?

My understanding of the point of fission plastic is that the lighter core distributes more of the disc weight to the rim yet I've seen some as high as 172g.

I prefer my Craves close to max weight (and all of mine are cosmic neutron) so I'm curious if I picked up a heavier fission if it would do anything magical for me.

Mine is a 164. I was hoping for slightly higher weight because, you are correct, the core can be much lighter, so more of the weight is in the rim.

For instance, (and these are made up guess numbers to illustrate the point) if a 150g Fizzy Crave had 80% of the weight in the rim, a 175g Fizzy Crave would have more like 95% of the weight in the rim, with the 160s falling somewhere in between. In a more traditional overmold, this isn't as dramatic of a difference, but still more of a difference than a solo mold disc.

Edit: forgot to add, from what I've heard from others and my own understanding, since the weight is already higher on the overmold, it takes a bit more to get it "up to speed". When it's spinning at peak speed, it should have normal gyroscopic tendencies, meaning, it should maintain the angle and direction of flight. Once the spin starts to slow, is when the fade happens, so that finishing fade depends on how fast it gets spinning to begin with, and how high it is when it starts to fade basically.

Last edited:
So my red Catalyst cut rolled into the great beyond this morning. I haven't seen any in Plasma below 170 grams, but checking here in case someone else is a little neurotic about the same kind of thing.

There's still good in the world. Got the text and am reunited. Threw the Fission Crave in the field yesterday. Good, but not an otherworldly bonding experience. Will continue to explore but ordered another Hokom Crave to replace the Servo that's cycling into my son's bag.

I was under the impression that the cores are all the same weight, in almost every mold? Like the weight diff between them boils down to how much weighting agent is added to the OM?

I'm pretty sure this used to be the case, but maybe something changed over my long layoff.

I was under the impression that the cores are all the same weight, in almost every mold? Like the weight diff between them boils down to how much weighting agent is added to the OM?

I'm pretty sure this used to be the case, but maybe something changed over my long layoff.

With my pretty good understanding of injection molding, that would probably be the easiest way way to go. Especially with how these discs are molded. Not saying I actually know, but it makes good sense to me.

So, threw the Jet a few times tonight. Even with my noodle arm and playing at 5000+ feet of elevation this thing is flippy.

I throw some flippy stuff but this thing is really flippy and finicky. I even had two throws that I started on hyzer that turned over into turned over into cut rollers.

Maybe good for people who max out at 250 or maybe someone looking for a roller disc but beyond that I don't think it's going to be useful to too many people.

So, threw the Jet a few times tonight. Even with my noodle arm and playing at 5000+ feet of elevation this thing is flippy.

I just picked up a neutron impulse (171), am at a lower elevation (800 or so) and hope that it isn't something that finnicky and crazy. Have you thrown an impulse that you can compare to the Jet? I plan on getting some work in with my impulse this weekend...

I just picked up a neutron impulse (171), am at a lower elevation (800 or so) and hope that it isn't something that finnicky and crazy. Have you thrown an impulse that you can compare to the Jet? I plan on getting some work in with my impulse this weekend...

Sorry. I've never thrown an Impulse so I can't help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts