• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been throwing the proto electron glow envy a bunch the last week. Threw it tonight. Enjoyed the heck out of it, shot poorly but drove amazingly. It's the closest thing to my beat cosmic e soft. It's so grippy. Relatively understable, perhaps the least stable ever. It threw closer to my glow svea than my glow P envy but in a straight way. Very extended lines, like it has a couple months of wear on it.

Really liking it. Putts too understable though, if it was baskets it would be in.. Best plastic ever. The wear cycle will be interesting.

Last edited:
And which is your preferred plastic for putters?

Stocked up on some ledgestone RB glow Roaches from last summer and have been swapping 2 in and out of the bag since then. Love RB for putting and it holds up pretty well. I use a worn JB for outside the circle putts and a flippy thrower. Both hold up better than electron.

Putted and threw electron Atoms for over a year, gave up on them due to the plastic.

Electron Envy's are my favorite. I like that fresh ones take power well and are super straight and it doesn't take long to season one into a nice turnover putter.

Admittedly I do have to kind of cycle them through my bag but I like having a fresh one and a beat one in the bag.

Also, the grip on the electron really suits me. It works in any weather and is never too grippy.

Electron Envy's are my favorite. I like that fresh ones take power well and are super straight and it doesn't take long to season one into a nice turnover putter.

Admittedly I do have to kind of cycle them through my bag but I like having a fresh one and a beat one in the bag.

Also, the grip on the electron really suits me. It works in any weather and is never too grippy.

Electron is losing its luster for me as well. A lot of the courses I play are pretty old. So tons of roots, stumps, and rocks. If I could have an electron disc that just beat in really nice and smooth I think I would look upon it more favorably. But as it stands, the courses absolutely gouge and just take chunks out. So I recently picked up a glow proxy and it flies about how my beat electron envy was flying.

I also mostly play rugged courses. Gravel and rocks make up a lot of the good spots to land a disc.

All of my base plastic discs (and some of my premium plastic as well) all have gouges and missing chunks.

The damage that bothers me enough to pull a disc from my bag is when the bottom edge of the rim becomes so chewed up it kind of feels like a saw blade coming out of my hand.

And which is your preferred plastic for putters?

Electron isn't terrible, but Trilogy's mid-firmness putter plastic is my favorite (Zero Medium/Classic Blend/BT Medium). I also really like Discraft Jawbreaker. We can still find common ground though and agree that Innova putters are the worst. :hfive:

Electron is losing its luster for me as well. A lot of the courses I play are pretty old. So tons of roots, stumps, and rocks. If I could have an electron disc that just beat in really nice and smooth I think I would look upon it more favorably. But as it stands, the courses absolutely gouge and just take chunks out. So I recently picked up a glow proxy and it flies about how my beat electron envy was flying.

I totally get that. I wouldn't bag electron until recently. I've been beating the heck out of my plasma envy's for years but they aren't as straight as an electron one. I also play a jagged rockpile so I throw all premium discs + soft electron envy.

I snagged one off a FB auction because it was cheap, figured I'd give it a shot and thrash it in the yard see what happens.... I expected nothing, it delivered everything. It's a great complement and a short ace running fiend, after two months in the yard box it got moved to my competition bag. I know I have 4 aces on it that got paid, some huge putts. Pretty sure I've netted over $100 with it so it's paid for some backups to cycle.

Got a backup, threw it down my hill about 3rd throw, got the bottom all chewed on 3" minus (rocks), gave it away haha. The recipient was very happy.

Anyhow, really like the electron glow. It will be great for night rounds. Feels a lot like the old photon glow, maybe softer.

I was under the impression that the cores are all the same weight, in almost every mold? Like the weight diff between them boils down to how much weighting agent is added to the OM?

I'm pretty sure this used to be the case, but maybe something changed over my long layoff.

Yes, from my understanding, you are correct. The weight is controlled by the rim.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear. I was trying to say, if a normal Neutron core weighs 40g of the 175g, versus a Fizzy core that weighs 25g of the 175g, then the weight distribution is more skewed to the rim in the Fizzy of the same weight. In a solo mold, that weight distribution would be even more in balance, though I don't know the numbers, these are all just wild guesses, but say, 60g of the 175g disc would be in the center of a solo mold. But, if these completely wild guesses were somehow correct, that would mean a 155g Fizzy Crave would have a 62% weight distribution on the rim, where a 175 would have a 75% distribution. I have no clue of the actual numbers, just that this is the basic intent of overmolds and how they are supposed to work.

Unlike overmolds, solo molds control their weight with how much plastic they push into the mold as a whole, so they just pack it in to be denser in heavier discs, and don't pack in as much for lighter discs, if my understanding on that is correct.

So, if my Crave weighs the same as a duck...

The answer is obviously just to find one and try, but I think this correlates with another thing I read a while back about the Fission plastic, which is to say that the flight characteristics mirror Neutron maybe 10 grams heavier. That delta is probably roughly in line with the weight distribution described below, at least on a percentage basis.

And this starts to make sense of a Fission question I had trouble with early on, which is why on earth you'd want a heavier one if the whole point was the weight savings. But taking the Crave as an example, a Fission Crave at 171 or 172 should exhibit more gyroscopic carry/glide than a Neutron Crave at the same weight given the difference in mass distribution, yes?

If that's the case, a Fission Crave at 171 or above might be expected to exhibit a stretched version of the standard flight, and that, in turn, might be a really, really cool thing.

Yes, from my understanding, you are correct. The weight is controlled by the rim.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear. I was trying to say, if a normal Neutron core weighs 40g of the 175g, versus a Fizzy core that weighs 25g of the 175g, then the weight distribution is more skewed to the rim in the Fizzy of the same weight. In a solo mold, that weight distribution would be even more in balance, though I don't know the numbers, these are all just wild guesses, but say, 60g of the 175g disc would be in the center of a solo mold. But, if these completely wild guesses were somehow correct, that would mean a 155g Fizzy Crave would have a 62% weight distribution on the rim, where a 175 would have a 75% distribution. I have no clue of the actual numbers, just that this is the basic intent of overmolds and how they are supposed to work.

Unlike overmolds, solo molds control their weight with how much plastic they push into the mold as a whole, so they just pack it in to be denser in heavier discs, and don't pack in as much for lighter discs, if my understanding on that is correct.

The answer is obviously just to find one and try, but I think this correlates with another thing I read a while back about the Fission plastic, which is to say that the flight characteristics mirror Neutron maybe 10 grams heavier. That delta is probably roughly in line with the weight distribution described below, at least on a percentage basis.

And this starts to make sense of a Fission question I had trouble with early on, which is why on earth you'd want a heavier one if the whole point was the weight savings. But taking the Crave as an example, a Fission Crave at 171 or 172 should exhibit more gyroscopic carry/glide than a Neutron Crave at the same weight given the difference in mass distribution, yes?

If that's the case, a Fission Crave at 171 or above might be expected to exhibit a stretched version of the standard flight, and that, in turn, might be a really, really cool thing.

No clue. Might pick one up to try. I'll let you know how it stacks up.

No clue. Might pick one up to try. I'll let you know how it stacks up.

Heading to Charlotte next week and will see if I can't find a good one at Another Round. Really hoping there's enough time for at least one and ideally two rounds amidst the scheduled responsibilities.

Just picked up a new Inertia in Plasma. This one turns a bit more than the Neutron versions I have. Same weights.

Still a great disc, just need to get used to how this one flies.

Just picked up a new Inertia in Plasma. This one turns a bit more than the Neutron versions I have. Same weights.

Still a great disc, just need to get used to how this one flies.

I've got a blue glow Inertia that I picked up the Gyro box last year, but I've barely thrown it. Are Inertia's simply MVP Insanity's (and vice versa), or are they different discs?

I've got a blue glow Inertia that I picked up the Gyro box last year, but I've barely thrown it. Are Inertia's simply MVP Insanity's (and vice versa), or are they different discs?

Definitely some overlap... but I never subscribed to the "worn in inertia" description of the insanity. Very similar but uniquely different, depending on run/weight/etc. The gyro box eclipse for both were real stable, I'd actually give the nod to the inertia as being less stable than the L2 eclipse insanity.

For the most part the inertia is a tight S disc with a proportional flight path. Powered up enough it's dead straight, decent glide, a little wind resistance.

The insanity will do similar shots but it's more of a hyzer flipper or a long panning turn/arc with a late hook up. Becomes less stable in a headwind but has 20' more glide.

Felt cheeky today and put together a "white disc" small bag to play a couple rounds, which meant a number of glow discs that I've barely used. Two of the discs were that very same blue glow inertia and eclipse insanity. Both from that gyro box.

Insanity is supposed to be more understable than the inertia, but my experience today was opposite. Could be due to the different glow plastics though? Both glow plastics flew quite stable (1000m elev.).

A bit disappointed with how the Insanity and Inertia feel in the hand, especially compared to other 9 speed discs I own. The slower fairways feel and fit great in the hand so I'm a bit surprised.

Other gyro glow discs thrown today was the Elaine King Eclipse Reactor and Eclipse Envy. The Reactor was a treat to throw, with a nice straight flight and puts on the breaks near the flight end with a nice fade right at the end. The eclipse Envy flew very much like my plasma Envy, except I found the plastic a little more slick.

For those curious was also throwing a glow TL and a white A4.

... But taking the Crave as an example, a Fission Crave at 171 or 172 should exhibit more gyroscopic carry/glide than a Neutron Crave at the same weight given the difference in mass distribution, yes?

Short answer, Yes. From my own experience with it so far, and other reviews I've seen from testers, it seems to just have the same overall flight, maybe a bit more stable, with a longer flight.

Wrath | Crave | Hex | Resistor | Envy | Envy.

Just noticed where in this list you place the Resistor, haha.

If I read this right, it's the same way I use it. I've got a really glideless OS Proton one with a Circuit stamp that I use the way I see pros use a Champ Gator.

Just noticed where in this list you place the Resistor, haha.

If I read this right, it's the same way I use it. I've got a really glideless OS Proton one with a Circuit stamp that I use the way I see pros use a Champ Gator.

Yeah, it's pretty versatile for me, but mostly more where I would use an OS Mid. I also will use it for OS FW shots sometimes, but my Wrath powers down nicely for those shots as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.