• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new uplink coming, 166 soft from SheDyzer discs

That. disc. is. GORGEOUS!

The first couple runs of relay in cosmic were very stable, it was the first relays through the new machines. Those things are great.. It also depends which crave you own haha

I've got a light purple 165g Hokom Crave (with a silvery grey rim, if that makes any difference). Any way to tell what run of Relay I've got? It's got the stamp that MVP has on their Relay page of the comic neutron ones. It's 164g, and pink, with a little green and white swirled in (and a black rim, if that makes any difference).

Last edited:
That. disc. is. GORGEOUS!

I've got a light purple 165g Hokom Crave (with a silvery grey rim, if that makes any difference). Any way to tell what run of Relay I've got? It's got the stamp that MVP has on their Relay page of the comic neutron ones. It's 164g, and pink, with a little green and white swirled in (and a black rim, if that makes any difference).

Well for starters your crave is probably Flippy and I also don't know if they've run another set of cosmic relays since that first batch bout 2 years ago. I've seen regular Neutron for sale but the only time I was able to grab those cosmic was when they first came out.. But I also have a very large stockpile of relays and I don't need to replenish very often

Well for starters your crave is probably Flippy and I also don't know if they've run another set of cosmic relays since that first batch bout 2 years ago. I've seen regular Neutron for sale but the only time I was able to grab those cosmic was when they first came out.. But I also have a very large stockpile of relays and I don't need to replenish very often

Not sure if Infinite Discs just had a massive stockpile, but I ordered it last week from them. Didn't know they were so rare, or I'd have settled for boring old neutron...

Yeah I just saw a cosmic restock locally on the relays... the official word from MVP is that they should be same stability it's just a colour additive.

I don't believe that.. Haha

Yeah I just saw a cosmic restock locally on the relays... the official word from MVP is that they should be same stability it's just a colour additive.

I don't believe that.. Haha

I have no insider knowledge when I say this, but that does seem to be the case. Every "official" cosmic disc I've thrown, as opposed to discs we'll just call natural swirls or leftover cosmic, has felt more overstable than their non-cosmic counterparts. That also seems to be the fan consensus.

Quick plug for Reload. From what I can tell, a fairly new/small shop in Texas. Quick (reasonable, though not free) shipping. Good pricing on lab seconds. Attractive plastic. Over the past month(ish), I've picked up several L2 Electron Envies and Proxies and a borderline stunning Plasma Servo to round out my fairways.

I'm back with another new disc video, this time the MVP Zenith. Check it out!

I just picked up a Zenith on Friday along with a few other MVP's. Lefty using an x-step only for a few more months, the disc does everything you said for myself on the practice field this morning, left to center/right fade and will be a nice compliment to my Wave's center to left draw. I had seen this video yesterday, thank you! Nice timing.

I noticed you have several other MVP videos, I started changing out my bag when I had a wow moment with my first disc an Orbital 5 months ago. I'll be watching.

Call me a bit skeptical, but I have not seen any noticeable difference between a full weight Fission Reactor, and a regular Neutron Reactor at full weight, other than the fact that my Fission beats in a little faster and is more understable.

Fission plastic may be my new favorite plastic.

I throw a Cosmic Neutron Insanity (RHFH), and because it's a 9 speed and I have a noodle arm, the disc is 158 grams. Love it, throw it well.

The other day I was in Spinners On The Green (my local disc shop in Scottsdale AZ), and Keith recommended I try the Fission plastic. So I bought one in 164 - he suggested I go a bit heavier than the 155 range and I did want one with a bit more weight for headwinds.

Got to a spot on the course where I would normally throw my 158 Insanity and pulled out the Fission one. Dang, it felt lighter than the 158 one. I threw it the same and that disc flew further than where I get with the lighter weight one, but with the same effort.

Need to get more throws in, but Fission plastic seems to make the disc feel lighter and take less effort to get a good throw.
Does the Fission still age quicker than the other premiums? I remember that was the thing i liked most about it when it first came out. Back then, if you lost a seasoned N or P driver, you were pretty much S.O.L. for awhile unless you really, intentionally, beat the hell out one. I have a couple Neutron discs that still haven't changed much in the 7 or so years that I've had them. My Crave is from 2014 and still doesn't turn much, if at all, though it did finally lose some of it's fade. My Resistor is even older and is the same. No turn but lost some fade.

But the Fission would actually age like discs from other brands. My FR fizz Photon has a nice gentle turn to it and just sails...

EDIT: I guess i should have read the next post, lol...

I think the biggest 'gain' in Fission plastic is the flight characteristics. I have thrown light weight discs from other manufacturers and there is a very clear and definitive stability difference and it's usually not close. But with Fission plastic from MVP, even at the lighter weights the discs fly pretty close to their max weight counterparts.

I stopped throwing the insanity before it came out in fission but I am looking forward to see which discs get the fission treatment. I am loving the fission octane, wave, volt, and reactor. I am curious to see if the hex, envy/proxy get fission releases.

Beyond the throwing characteristics it's actually a really unique type of premium plastic. I really like the feel, the stiffness/flexibility, the grip..but for a premium plastic it's ever so slightly less durable than the neutron plastic so it breaks in quicker.

Last edited:
Lost a Servo yesterday on its second throw ever. Returned today having had a minute to think on it and found another 20 ft or so deeper into the shrubbery. Took a quick celebratory toss before returning to work and followed up with another 10 minutes of (successfully) searching another part of the course. The good news is that it's got glide. The bad news apparently is that it's got me. Just glad to have the thing back in the fold.

Call me a bit skeptical, but I have not seen any noticeable difference between a full weight Fission Reactor, and a regular Neutron Reactor at full weight, other than the fact that my Fission beats in a little faster and is more understable.

The flight is more or less the same but they do seem just a tad bit longer. I wish the fission hex would have come out sooner otherwise I wouldn't have bought two neutron Hex's a few weeks ago since I lost my only hex. I like the grip and feel of fission more than Neutron and so when I can buy fission, I usually do.

Does the Fission still age quicker than the other premiums?

EDIT: I guess i should have read the next post, lol...

Fission is my favorite plastic they offer from a feel and durability standpoint. I wish it was more widely available than it currently is but I am also sure they are working toward that.

I'd prefer a CN or eclipse Hex for a touch of extra stability.

eclipse hex is coming with the space race events this year. I will probably enter the space race event just to get my hands on one.

I am thinking about going to an all gyro bag (maybe). The gyro I have so far is working wonders for me and have become go-to discs. But I'm not really familiar with gyro options, so I'm not sure what would/should replace my non-gyro.

I currently throw the:
Axiom Insanity in Fission (164 g) and Cosmic Neutron (157 g)
Axiom Rhythm in Neutron (172 g)
MVP Servo in Neutron (160 and 173 g)
MVP Reactor in Neutron (174 g)
Axiom Hex in Neutron (178 g)
MVP Atom in Electron Medium (172 g)

I also have a couple of Axiom Envy's (Electron Firm - 174 g and 172 g), but they are rarely used.

I find I do better throwing my gyro discs RHFH, except for the Rhythm which works pretty well RHBH for me. Since the gyro I have are mostly for forehand throws, I carry other discs for backhand. However, does anyone have suggestions for replacing these with gyro?

Kastaplast Falk (9/6/-2/1) - used for tee shots where I need to throw backhand
Dynamic Discs Maverick (7/4/-1.5/2) - used for fairway/short tees where a backhand is needed for the disc to go left
DGA Quake (5/3/0/3) - used for approach/layup where I need a bigger fade - forehand and backhand
L64 River (7/7/-1/1) - used when I really need a straight shot and the wind is right. Rarely used.

I use a DGA Breaker for my 'layups' and am trying my Atom in that spot.
I use a Gateway Wizard (2/3/0/2) for putting and not sure I want to replace what works....but what would be gyro for this spot?

If it helps: I get around 250 with my 9 speed drivers, 220 with my 7 speeds, 190 with my 5 speeds. I throw at a measured 42 mph, so my distance is what it is. I tend to go lighter weight with my 9 speeds - 168 or below.

Bill,

For the Falk and Maverick, what do you not like about the Insanity and Servo on BH? That may help clarify which direction to go with the recommendation.

I am thinking about going to an all gyro bag (maybe). The gyro I have so far is working wonders for me and have become go-to discs. But I'm not really familiar with gyro options, so I'm not sure what would/should replace my non-gyro.

I currently throw the:

I also have a couple of Axiom Envy's (Electron Firm - 174 g and 172 g), but they are rarely used.

I find I do better throwing my gyro discs RHFH, except for the Rhythm which works pretty well RHBH for me. Since the gyro I have are mostly for forehand throws, I carry other discs for backhand. However, does anyone have suggestions for replacing these with gyro?

Dynamic Discs Maverick (7/4/-1.5/2) - used for fairway/short tees where a backhand is needed for the disc to go left
DGA Quake (5/3/0/3) - used for approach/layup where I need a bigger fade - forehand and backhand
L64 River (7/7/-1/1) - used when I really need a straight shot and the wind is right. Rarely used.

I use a Gateway Wizard (2/3/0/2) for putting and not sure I want to replace what works....but what would be gyro for this spot?

If it helps: I get around 250 with my 9 speed drivers, 220 with my 7 speeds, 190 with my 5 speeds. I throw at a measured 42 mph, so my distance is what it is. I tend to go lighter weight with my 9 speeds - 168 or below.

On the Quake, I'd be inclined to try a Runway. To me it's the mellowest of the OS mids.

I'd probably try the Envy you already have first for the Wizard. 2 fade should give a familiar starting point. I really like the Proxy but wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for stability.

I currently throw the:

Bill,

For the Falk and Maverick, what do you not like about the Insanity and Servo on BH? That may help clarify which direction to go with the recommendation.

The gyro discs are flat topped, that works best for me with forehands. I find a disc with dome works best with my backhand. I've tried both the Insanity and Servo backhand, but when I pick them up, I naturally go to a forehand grip. But when I pick up a disc like the Falk, Gateway Spear, etc...they just feel more natural for a backhand throw.

On the Quake, I'd be inclined to try a Runway. To me it's the mellowest of the OS mids.

I'd probably try the Envy you already have first for the Wizard. 2 fade should give a familiar starting point. I really like the Proxy but wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for stability.

Hmmm, the Runway. That's Streamline and from what I understand is that they are MVP's non-gyro version discs.

Proxy, by the numbers it seems closer to my Breaker, more of an upshot/layup disc. I might give it a try in that spot.

I tend to find used discs to try knowing they are broken in and a new one won't be quite the same. But a used disc doesn't cost as much if it doesn't work for me. I found the Insanity and Servo by first getting them used.

I have around 150 discs, so I don't mind trying different ones out and you've given me some ideas to try.

The gyro discs are flat topped, that works best for me with forehands. I find a disc with dome works best with my backhand. I've tried both the Insanity and Servo backhand, but when I pick them up, I naturally go to a forehand grip. But when I pick up a disc like the Falk, Gateway Spear, etc...they just feel more natural for a backhand throw.

Interesting and helpful, both. I like that MVP's profiles are generally compact and flat, but I can understand preferring the domed feel for certain things. The flight numbers were closely comparable, and so this helps illuminate where we're wanting to diverge.

I think the Fission Volt has a domier profile in that 8/9 speed category. Maybe a Proton Crave to pair with the Servo? The Fission Craves may also have a little more shape but not a ton.

Combining comments, the Proton Pyro definitely has a domier profile, but it's also more OS than the Runway, especially at lower speeds. Feel may be right but the use may be wrong. The Plasmas are definitely flatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts