• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a lot of people don't agree with me on this, but I'm right, so they need to get over it.....

Blah blah

Haha I have fully read and appreciate your precious snowflake of an opinion, you will not convince me any other way about cosmic. I love the idea of those being pigs.. Colours matter!!!!

Boooooooooooooo!

....... :D

I'd guess that if they do decide to give some plaz love to their mids, the Hex or Reactor would probably be first in line.

Seems likely, but I'd love the plasma rim for grip. That's not happening with the other two.

Played like monkey-butt today, but what gorgeous weather in Atlanta!

…external environmental effects…

The truth is, most plastics have very little affect on stability. Colors also are pretty well the same. A very high amount of metal flake could cause issues, but it would have to be a VERY high amount, and I don't think we ever see that.

Plasma/Neutron (And CN because it's identical to N) and Proton are all basically the exact same plastic from a stability perspective. They cool at the same rate.

This is an interesting explanation. I've often figured it had to be something similar. I had wondered about this because my eclipse envy is not as stable as my soft neutron envy. And my soft neutron envy is just a bit less stable than my stiff plasma envy.

On the other hand my proton insanity is definitely less stable than the cosmic neutron insanity which is only eclipsed (see what I did there?) by my glow insanity.

The MVP mold that I have the most plastics in is the crave. My proton crave has a much different parting line height than all the others. I can confirm that the other proton drivers I have do not seem to have that same change. So throwing out that anomaly I seem to think that proton is a smidge more stable than neutron, but I would need a robot arm to prove it. So them being identical wouldn't surprise me…

Unfortunately I do not have a single CN disc yet, but the volts I have inspected in the local store had a lot more dome than any of the other volts. No idea if that trend holds across all CN, but domey volts seem to be more stable in my experience.

Tried out two inertias today, a plasma and a proton. I haven't found fission teslas that fly like that so my 9 speed lineup (the max speed in my main bag) is Tesla, Inertia, Virus so far… The inertia seems to stand up to my forehand a bit better than my insanity…

Keep throwing everyone!

So, a lot of people don't agree with me on this, but I'm right, so they need to get over it. Anyway, here's the real deal on plastic from MVP.

I'll give you a breakdown of how it works in general from all of the research I've done over the years.

The molds are all the same for all the discs except Electron and Prism in most circumstances. So, the same mold with different plastics injected into them. What happens is, the plastic cools in the mold for a certain amount of time, then is removed from the mold and is cooled some more. This timing in fairly critical, as is external environmental factors like temperature and humidity, because as the plastic cools, it shrinks. If it cools too fast or slow, the height of the wing and shoulder can be affected, causing differences in stability.

So this is where most people assume the plastic blend is the cause of stability differences. Surely Neutron/Proton cool differently than Plasma, etc, they reason. Surely metal flake, blue, insert whatever anecdotal evidence they've found based on their small sample size of discs they've thrown, is more or less stable. The truth is, most plastics have very little affect on stability. Colors also are pretty well the same. A very high amount of metal flake could cause issues, but it would have to be a VERY high amount, and I don't think we ever see that.

Plasma/Neutron (And CN because it's identical to N) and Proton are all basically the exact same plastic from a stability perspective. They cool at the same rate.

Fission, Eclipse, and Electron have some tendencies, that affect how they come out of the mold, but even those are just tendencies and not a guarantee on how they will fly. For instance, MVP has publicly stated in a Lab Report, that due to the high concentration of glow particles in their plastic, it affects the cooling, and causes the wing to raise higher. But, because the glow particles are also heavier, it evens out the gyro affect, and just basically messes with stability from multiple directions.

That being said, for the plastics that have a different effect on cooling, MVP can try to compensate by changing the timing of when they take them out of the mold, ambient temp, etc.

So where does that leave us with plastic stability?

Well, the answer is, it is MUCH MUCH more dependent on environmental factors and on each individual run. There are (relatively) understable and overstable versions of the same mold in the same plastic type just because of other factors floating around out there. That is why you will get some people swearing that Plasma is less stable, while others will claim their Plasma is their most stable plastic. All in the same mold.

But perception often defeats reality. For instance. when MVP moved production in-house, they started experimenting with Cosmic plastic. Their first run of Relays came out way more stable than intended because they didn't quite understand how to control the environmental factors. They later publicly stated this, and have since adjusted the process and now, for the most part, all Relays, including CN that are released are closer to their actual numbers. But for a large number of people, you can't convince them of it. They threw those super stable CN Relays, so now CN is the "most stable" plastic. It's not though, it's just Neutron with mixed colors. There is no difference.

In short, the only way to find the stability you want in a certain mold is to look at the PLH and compare it to others. Do you want more stable? Pick the higher PLH. Do you want less stable? Pick the lower PLH. This is ALWAYS true regardless of plastic type.

The ONLY exception is Electron, which may start out more stable, but will always beat in faster to understable.

I 100% agree with you that environmental factors are the primary reason discs fly inconsistently from one another.

With gyro - you have two moldings = twice as many opportunities for environmental factors to play a part.

This is why when I buy discs, I tend to buy three or four from the same supplier in the same color and plastic. Hopefully - they were all made at the same time. :thmbup:

Ok, I seriously don't get why no one is talking about the Glitch yet. From all reports I've heard, it's going to be amazing. Am I the only one on here excited about it?

Oh man I'm fired up with ya! I was bugging Chance on one of his FB posts to see if he'd thrown it, haha he has not.

I marked the release day (22nd) on my calendar. :D

Hard to get hyped when not many ofus have thrown one yet..

Ok, I seriously don't get why no one is talking about the Glitch yet. From all reports I've heard, it's going to be amazing. Am I the only one on here excited about it?

Looks like a kinda fun disc to mess with but I doubt it will do much for my game.

Oh man I'm fired up with ya! I was bugging Chance on one of his FB posts to see if he'd thrown it, haha he has not.

I marked the release day (22nd) on my calendar. :D

Hard to get hyped when not many ofus have thrown one yet..
Any release date for the Fission Hex? I'd like to decrease the shipping cost with the Glitch!
Thx :)

Impulse vs Virus: thoughts from the committee?

Realizing that I'd really like a stretched version of a Crave turnover. These seem like the most likely external candidates. I might still be able to find the shot with an Inertia or Wave in my current bag but haven't just yet.

Based on my very limited experience with the virus, I'm gonna guess that things gonna be flippier than you want. The one I threw was the squirreliest driver I have ever tossed.

Edit: might have it mixed up with a vanish......now I'm second guessing my statement. I'd probably just disregard it lol

Based on my very limited experience with the virus, I'm gonna guess that things gonna be flippier than you want. The one I threw was the squirreliest driver I have ever tossed.

Edit: might have it mixed up with a vanish......now I'm second guessing my statement. I'd probably just disregard it lol

Good to know though. I think those are more or less mirrors of each other at 9 and 11. Threw my lighter Inertia today with more height and angle than I'm naturally comfortable with, but it's moving in the right direction, both figuratively and literally. Might end up being a good thing to have a more stable finish so that I'm flattening out and reducing the risk of a cut roll. Admiring height has been a theme of late and so it may finally be time for me to get acclimated and get that shot into the toolkit.

That seems to be the general consensus.

I think you had it right the first time. Vanish is controllably understable for mortal arms, probably more like a Thrasher or thereabouts.

Realizing that I'd really like a stretched version of a Crave turnover. These seem like the most likely external candidates. I might still be able to find the shot with an Inertia or Wave in my current bag but haven't just yet.

Impulse Vs Virus? I'm about to find out, my Impulse just arrived a few days ago, and I'll take them both to the practice field this week. I've had the Virus more than a month, and love throwing it. I can turn it over or draw it in, and reliable hitting gaps or narrow dogleg fairways, to where the past month it was Virus vs Heat, and I traded the Heat in for an Orbital last week. I did meet another lefty in a local disc store, and we chatted about the Virus, he was replacing his after several months because it became flippy. So, something for me to remember.

I now have Fission Waves in each weight class, from 150g to 165g I can turn them, but they have a finishing fade. My 169g has been my main driver for several months is getting flippy and will now turn when not wanted, I plan on trading it in for a new one, the 174g is straight with a little fade. The Inertia would only fade, its been traded in because I have an Insanity with the same fade and more distance. I hope this helps, and maybe in a week I'll have an idea about Impulse vs Virus and will share it.

Surprise email from the mothership this afternoon with a Pro Shop store credit. Very much looking forward to some new options (Plasma Vanish and Eclipse Reactor with a nifty non EK owl stamp) to complement the score of the week, a Fission Defy for a rational disc price off Reddit. Every time I think I'm content...

Plasma Vanish Compared to a Neutron Thrill, Proton Vanish, and a Zenith. The Plasma Vanish is the blue rim.
6ee71b7d4c3b981eb5d923f6c749003b.jpg
48b21c83fa40da80b00fa12923dc3ccb.jpg
b4d1abd000cded6eaea13efffd4926e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Both the virus and impulse have been workable hyzer flips for me. I do not try to throw the virus flat at power. With that approach and without a headwind it has been solid. Impulse I can throw flat and it will gently turn over without burning. My forehand noodle arm gives me roughly 310 or so with either disc… Both are neutron and 173 or so in weight.

Plasma Vanish Compared to a Neutron Thrill, Proton Vanish, and a Zenith. The Plasma Vanish is the blue rim.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Assuming we're in order, it looks most like the Zenith. Do you find the plasma (without getting into a big plastic makes no difference brawl and readily acknowledging that we're primarily focused on wing shape here) flies more stable than the numbers, closer to the Zenith than to the other Vanish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts