• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the Eclipse Resistors are almost unusably overstable, even at light weights.

I read this initially as Reactor and was befuddled. Re-read and it makes perfect sense. The current run's already noticeably more stable than the 2021s, and the eclipse is likely a step up from that.

Ha I find the eclipse 180 reactor almost overstable useless haha. If that makes you feel better.

There's probably a bunch of people that are happy with the new resistors.. There was a lot of bitching when they weren't stable enough. I had a FR that I knew would always fade, played in a windy tourney and it flew dead straight towards a pond, didn't make enough distance, zero fade, splash. Now it's a fireball in the bag for those odd occasions.

Get me an eclipse relay already!!

You guys are out of your mind. Eclipse Reactors are basically 5 speed Teebirds. I can comfortably rip on them hard and flat, and watch them sail straight for a looong ways, with no worry of rightward movement. Then they have that small, consistent fade. Definitely my favorite midrange. However to put things into perspective, I'm throwing at only 700' elevation, and can usually crank Destroyers out to 380-430.

Edit, I too read Reactor and not Resistor from Muddyboots' post as well, ha.

Ha I find the eclipse 180 reactor almost overstable useless haha. If that makes you feel better.

There's probably a bunch of people that are happy with the new resistors.. There was a lot of bitching when they weren't stable enough. I had a FR that I knew would always fade, played in a windy tourney and it flew dead straight towards a pond, didn't make enough distance, zero fade, splash. Now it's a fireball in the bag for those odd occasions.

Get me an eclipse relay already!!

I like the recent (but not current) run Resistors pretty well for what they are, but I'm definitely a little more consistent with them on backhand. I wouldn't mind trying the current on forehand, but I'm also not making it a priority.

In other overstable news, I did have a couple legitimately excellent skip shots yesterday at Deerfield with the Motion. I've toyed with pulling it out of the bag, but there's room and when the moment's right and you've got to clear a corner, nothing else will do what it does.

Also the Eclipse Resistors are almost unusably overstable, even at light weights.

I picked up a 167 with the new Halloween stamp for my first glow round this weekend. I'm glad I did. We had some 15mph winds, which is a lot for us in AZ. I usually lean on my Volts, but they probably would have been all over the place in that wind. I'm forehand dominant, and the Resistor was flying like a slightly shorter Volt into the headwind, like a shorter Firebird with a tail wind. I'm curious to see what it's like with no wind. Could be a nice forehand utility disc.

Anybody throwing the Zenith? Started with a 169 Stock stamp and a 172 blank. Really like the lighter one. Similar stability to a cosmic trace for my FH, meaning it holds a anhyzer very well. BH it is a little flippy when thrown hard. Ordered a back up. The Blank one, slightly heavier, is much, much more OS. Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I've had a Zenith 172 stock stamp for a little more than two months, and its staying in the bag. It works best for me at mid-level flight and flies dead straight with fade and skip at the end. So, I use it primarily hitting gaps in the woods making sure there's room for the fade, a few times with 15-25 mph wind on a mostly open course, and the Zenith handling the wind very well on from any direction with more distance than the gap play in the woods. I would like to find a Zenith at the bottom weight of 165 just to see if I can get it up a little higher, in the meantime a fission photon takes care of the loftier shots but more wayward.

Now that I think about it, the Zenith is one of my most reliable disc in the bag, reminds me of throwing the Boatsman, but the Zenith more accurate on the line.

I had an Eclipse Resister 174 for a very short amount of time, it was just too flippy compared to my Eclipse Reactor staying in the bag with a little fade. I compared the Resistor to my Prism Pyro which out preformed the Resistor in every aspect including distance at least by 30 feet or more. The Pyro is one of my favorite disc out of the bag, always looking to throw it. The Resistor was traded in for a Neutron Orbital 167 still getting to know it, great for close gaps when I need turn after the gap, and sometimes will surprise me, showing a very narrow S flight.

Last edited:
Update on my going to a gyro (MVP/Axiom) only bag.

I've shelved my Wizard and Breaker for the Atom. The Atom works for my short approaches (replaced my Breaker) and putts (Wizard). It took a bit of getting used to since I tend to get more distance with the Atom.

The rest of my bag is:
Drivers: Insanity (forehand), Volt (backhand)
Fairway Drivers: Servo (forehand), Crave (backhand)
Mids: Reactor (forehand, slight fade), Hex (forehand/backhand straight), Relay (forehand, straight slightly longer than the Hex).
Utility: Resistor (forehand, big fade) This disc I lost in a pond and got it back after a couple of years. It has a 'meat hook' fade. I use it when I really need that heavy fade (or when I might lose a disc in water).
Unused gyro: Rhythm. This is understable, I really haven't found a need for it yet.

I still carry a few non-gyro discs in my bag....I thought I would use them in some situations, but so far they've just been extra weight.

DGA Quake - overstable mid. I've been using my Atom or Reactor instead for the shots where I would use the Quake.
L64 River & Saint - both are super glidey (long) and straight. I mainly carried them because I couldn't find a good fairway or driver in gyro that had bit of dome for my backhand. Then I got the suggestions to try Volt and Crave. Now the River and Saint sit in my bag.
Innova Tern - this is in 139g weight. I can send this pretty well when there's no wind. It's for when I need that extra distance. I'm trying to find a lightweight gyro that can replace this one...but it's rarely used.
NSHCustom discs Dwayne - PDGA approved 3d printed disc that is thrown upside down. Great for getting through trees/bushes. Also, when a skip is needed. Nothing can replace it, it's a great disc for grenades. Takes a beating and shows no damage. But it is rarely used.

I've got a tournament coming up mid-November and I think I'll be taking the Quake, River, Saint, and Tern out of my bag to reduce weight - plus I never use them anyways.

This week, I played the course I'll be at for the tournament and I played league - only threw my gyro discs and was pretty happy with them. Never felt like I needed to have a different (non-gyro) disc for any shot, except for one at league where I used the Dwayne.

Thanks to everyone who suggested the Volt and Crave for my backhand....I appreciate it.

DGA Quake - overstable mid. I've been using my Atom or Reactor instead for the shots where I would use the Quake.

A suggestion for a gyro replacement for the Quake might be a Pyro. In my quick side by side comparison throws, I found the Pyro to be a little more OS, but flew about the same distances.

A suggestion for a gyro replacement for the Quake might be a Pyro. In my quick side by side comparison throws, I found the Pyro to be a little more OS, but flew about the same distances.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that. Meanwhile, I'm making what I have work....might mean more of a hyzer, but so far I've been happy.

I also looked at TryDiscs to find something that might replace my lightweight Tern and the top option is the Vanish. I may start looking for that in a 130-140 weight.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that. Meanwhile, I'm making what I have work....might mean more of a hyzer, but so far I've been happy.

I also looked at TryDiscs to find something that might replace my lightweight Tern and the top option is the Vanish. I may start looking for that in a 130-140 weight.

Quick note: the MVP Open Vanishes are gorgeous but have a higher parting line and fly more stable than the numbers. Great disc, but not flippy. The Fission Wave may be a good alternative if you're needing to hit a similar flight characteristic in a lightweight disc.

Newsflash, an OS gyro mid won't work any better than a Quake and if you need a distance driver less than 140g, you probably don't need a distance driver.

Newsflash, an OS gyro mid won't work any better than a Quake and if you need a distance driver less than 140g, you probably don't need a distance driver.

I know it an OS gyro mid might not work better than a Quake. But I've been working towards an all gyro bag and the Quake isn't gyro.

I stick to 9 speeds as that is the best I can throw. But under the right conditions (no wind or a tailwind), I can get an ultra-lightweight (130ish g) 12 speed out a longer distance than my 9 speeds. So it does have it's use....just not a frequent use. Looking at MVP and Axiom's websites, it doesn't seem like they make disc weights lower than 155 anyways....so I'll be sticking with my Tern for those rare occasions when it will get me more distance.

Quick note: the MVP Open Vanishes are gorgeous but have a higher parting line and fly more stable than the numbers. Great disc, but not flippy. The Fission Wave may be a good alternative if you're needing to hit a similar flight characteristic in a lightweight disc.

Thanks for that information. But looks like I'll have to stick with my Tern. From what I'm seeing on MVP's and Axiom's site (along with resellers), they don't make anything lighter than 155g. With that weight, I have to stick with 9 speeds as my max. It's a rare use disc anyways, so I might as well stick with it for the one or two times a year that I use it.

Looking at MVP and Axiom's websites, it doesn't seem like they make disc weights lower than 155 anyways....so I'll be sticking with my Tern for those rare occasions when it will get me more distance.

You might still look at some 155 discs from MVP. I have a 153g Defy that is less stable than most Defies and it bombs. It reminds me more of a very beat in Wrath or more stable Inertia that just flies a lot faster. I don't carry it often but for longer courses it's definitely nice to have on me.

I know it an OS gyro mid might not work better than a Quake. But I've been working towards an all gyro bag and the Quake isn't gyro.

I stick to 9 speeds as that is the best I can throw. But under the right conditions (no wind or a tailwind), I can get an ultra-lightweight (130ish g) 12 speed out a longer distance than my 9 speeds. So it does have it's use....just not a frequent use. Looking at MVP and Axiom's websites, it doesn't seem like they make disc weights lower than 155 anyways....so I'll be sticking with my Tern for those rare occasions when it will get me more distance.

I bag a 149g fission wave. They definitely exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.