• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

Brick and Mortar costs are insane.

All our stuff is MSRP or a dollar higher in the store so we can keep it open. Warehouses full of 100's and hundreds of orders per day dont have to worry about that, they selling such volume that it makes up for it.

It would be crazy different world for stores if MFG's made the online stores sell for MSRP as well.

You'd have to WANT to support your local store buying 4 or 5 discs and paying the extra 30-40 dollars to do that vs just ordering them online with free shipping.

If I can get it for 15 dollars why would I pay 20? especially when you start getting into larger count purchases.

Map is there so online retailers cannot really rake B&M's out of business. It's tough to maintain costs and keep the stores open. I'm glad I don't own the local store and only help out on occasions.

One of the things I've heard though too is "why not just have an online store."

Well for one, it's a pain to keep an up front inventory and in back sale inventory.
And nobody is going to buy my bone stock envy at 20 dollars when infinite has it for 14.
Cause I cannot sell in store for 20 and online for 14.

It's a catch 22. \=
Oh np. Thought you meant you were barred from it explicitly, I understand the practical reasons.

For what it's worth I overspend on discs at our local place all the time lol. I can't be alone!

Oh np. Thought you meant you were barred from it explicitly, I understand the practical reasons.

For what it's worth I overspend on discs at our local place all the time lol. I can't be alone!

I do what I can to support our shop and sell for them and more. I get a discount because of it. I work for free discs too as payment.

Those places are important to good strong disc golf communities, and these big online retailers make it super hard for brick and mortar stores to operate.

I rarely buy online. There are two Disc Golf stores in Portland that I'll go to and if they have the disc I want, I'll buy it from one of them.

If I want a disc, I want it right away and I'll pay a few bucks more for instant gratification. Plus, there is nothing like feeling the disc your going to buy in your hand seeing how it looks in person.

I do what I can to support our shop and sell for them and more. I get a discount because of it. I work for free discs too as payment.

Those places are important to good strong disc golf communities, and these big online retailers make it super hard for brick and mortar stores to operate.
Several times I've helped sell a disc for the locally owned PIAS, nobody plays that works the store. And they know it, so I get discounts.

Several times I've helped sell a disc for the locally owned PIAS, nobody plays that works the store. And they know it, so I get discounts.
I go snag almost any uninked MVP that posts on their site haha. They know me and hook me up with a lot of bonus points and I tell them to their faces when I'm ripping them off.

They just laugh and sell me nice discs for dirt cheap.

I go snag almost any uninked MVP that posts on their site haha. They know me and hook me up with a lot of bonus points and I tell them to their faces when I'm ripping them off.

I get the bonus points as well. When I bought my OOP Plasma Ion for $9 in the used bin, I let the manager know next time I saw him that it could of sold for at least $30, he paid cash for the disc, and 9 bucks was what he decided for a selling price, 😁. He's a great guy, and that's when I coached him up, you should already have the time-lapse here, and he's now on his 2nd order. Gave him heads-up about Pixel and Detour, and ask your MVP rep about these discs. Next time I'm there I'll let him know about the eagle disc for next month I've sold just as many Innova for them. It works good for me, I've saved money there.

Oh man, the only local temptation is the gas station occasionally has mvp/Axiom. I did snag an electron envy that they had sharpied the price onto haha just because I needed a 4th one. I wish I could go brick and mortar and save on shipping. I do support the local FB market crowd (often its cheaper especially used) and there's a few small online gyro retailers. All within Canada, gotta support local ish. When Chance tossed up a post for the eagle envy I jumped on it. I'd rather know who my money is going to.

Lucky, there is never MVP at any of our PIAS's here.

Good lord, the hate on the MVP fan page over me pointing out that 25 dollars for a disc because it has eagles name on it is just the company gouging customers.

"its tour series, that's how capitalism works"

Dude, I know.

It's how markets work. Because ya'll are so cockstrong for eagle and want MVP to know how big your chubby little boner is, you'd pay 40 dollars for it if thats what they were asking and you'd not even complain about it.
Cause OMG Eagle.

But I bet you those same people get on a BST page looking for a collectors disc and then complain the prices are to high.

It's an ethical/moral argument.
Yeah, I know that's how capitalism works.
But you' been selling tour series discs at normal prices for years now.
Suddenly you need more money to pay eagle?

I duno.
maybe I'm just out of touch with how stupid it looks.

If I'm going to pay more for something, there has to be value in that purchase.
Any tour series disc I've ever bought to support a player has always been 20 dollars.
When I see tour series stuff for 25-30 bucks, I turn an eye to it because it's bullshit for it to be that much.

Good lord, the hate on the MVP fan page over me pointing out that 25 dollars for a disc because it has eagles name on it is just the company gouging customers.

"its tour series, that's how capitalism works"

Dude, I know.

It's how markets work. Because ya'll are so cockstrong for eagle and want MVP to know how big your chubby little boner is, you'd pay 40 dollars for it if thats what they were asking and you'd not even complain about it.
Cause OMG Eagle.

But I bet you those same people get on a BST page looking for a collectors disc and then complain the prices are to high.

It's an ethical/moral argument.
Yeah, I know that's how capitalism works.
But you' been selling tour series discs at normal prices for years now.
Suddenly you need more money to pay eagle?

I duno.
maybe I'm just out of touch with how stupid it looks.

If I'm going to pay more for something, there has to be value in that purchase.
Any tour series disc I've ever bought to support a player has always been 20 dollars.
When I see tour series stuff for 25-30 bucks, I turn an eye to it because it's bullshit for it to be that much.
You are welcome to not buy the Eagle disc for whatever reason you choose. But, I don't really see the reason to take a stand or talk about it like it's a big deal that it costs $25 bucks for a premium plastic tour series disc though. Innova is selling the Glow Halo Champion Sexton Firebird for $25 dollars as well so it's not like MVP is out of line for charging that price. I think that is the new price point you are going to see for tour series discs from almost every manufacturer.

You are welcome to not buy the Eagle disc for whatever reason you choose. But, I don't really see the reason to take a stand or talk about it like it's a big deal that it costs $25 bucks for a premium plastic tour series disc though. Innova is selling the Glow Halo Champion Sexton Firebird for $25 dollars as well so it's not like MVP is out of line for charging that price. I think that is the new price point you are going to see for tour series discs from almost every manufacturer.

Yeah, it just feels off to me. I duno why.

I might just have my head up my ass.

That does happen.

But the way people act about stuff sometimes is just... mind boggling.

I don't have any desire to buy it, It just feels like gouging to me.
But.. eagle is getting like 3 dollars!
Okay, so?
Is the margins that bad we gotta raise the base price?

But the way people act about stuff sometimes is just... mind boggling.
Yeah, sometimes people post the most random diatribes on the interwebs and other people don't really give a shit what they think.

Yeah, sometimes people post the most random diatribes on the interwebs and other people don't really give a shit what they think.

Yeah, I figure if everyone else is going to post stupid things and stupid comments and subject me to them, than I should return the favor.

I'm sure MVP has done market research that shows there are a number of people who would pay 25-30 dollars for a Eagle signature Envy. They likely also modeled how much profit they would make at different price points, figuring in how many people would likely purchase the disc at what price, and cost of each disc. A signature disc is a marketed to collectors and super fans, not to average disc golf players.

I'm sure the owners of MVP are fans of the sport of Disc Golf, but they also run a company. There job in running a company is to make money and they are going to make decisions that maximize profit.

MVP has Streamline to focus on the lower end market, and even lower than that, they have Remix.

Yeah it doesn't seem that ridiculous for pricing. I looked up a couple of standard prism Envy and they are going for almost 20 bucks, five extra dollars for a tour stamp doesn't seem that bad. Especially if you were trying to keep some brick and mortar shops in business. I think we are actually winning this one up here in Canada I think I picked up mine for about 35 bucks. (CAD) usually we are in for about 40 bucks

Last edited:
I'm sure MVP has done market research that shows there are a number of people who would pay 25-30 dollars for a Eagle signature Envy. They likely also modeled how much profit they would make at different price points, figuring in how many people would likely purchase the disc at what price, and cost of each disc. A signature disc is a marketed to collectors and super fans, not to average disc golf players.

I'm sure the owners of MVP are fans of the sport of Disc Golf, but they also run a company. There job in running a company is to make money and they are going to make decisions that maximize profit.

MVP has Streamline to focus on the lower end market, and even lower than that, they have Remix.
Yeah.
I over reacted a bit on it.
I guess I never noticed tour discs were selling for more. haha

These Beauties were waiting for me on the front porch when I arrived back home from the practice field. fission rhythm 171g and now my third plasma servo 166g having lost the first two in the river on my home course. the rhythm is my second fission this one's almost as flat as a neutron and heavier than the one I had back in the summer which had a little bit of Dome and flippie. which I had a hard time keeping from turning and rolling on me so we'll see what happens. And I think it will do well with the wind.

First time throwing in about 11 days recovering from covid brought a plasma crave and neutron relay with me start off with. some nice and easy and then I started snapping those discs again felt really good. Spent about an hour on the field, looking forward to playing the next couple mornings it's going to be in the 60s.

Attachments

• 20240124_114733.jpg
    20240124_114733.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0