• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

Wave is one of the discs that MVP makes that has some of the most wild swings in flight differences.

This drives me crazy, because for YEARS I could get replacement 150s Neutron Waves that flew EXACTLY the same. Plenty of glide, but they had this magical "lock into straight" feature that was a thing of beauty. :love:

Now, Neutron Waves are all beefy and dumpy so I had to switch to Fission. Good discs, but Fission Waves lack that "lock into straight" feature. 😖

I will probably complain about this unless and until such time that MVP returns the Neutron Wave to its previous glory. The great older Waves were flatter, whereas the newer beefy/dumpy ones have more shoulder and dome.

Please, MVP, fix the Wave! 🥺

This drives me crazy, because for YEARS I could get replacement 150s Neutron Waves that flew EXACTLY the same. Plenty of glide, but they had this magical "lock into straight" feature that was a thing of beauty. :love:

Now, Neutron Waves are all beefy and dumpy so I had to switch to Fission. Good discs, but Fission Waves lack that "lock into straight" feature. 😖

I will probably complain about this unless and until such time that MVP returns the Neutron Wave to its previous glory. The great older Waves were flatter, whereas the newer beefy/dumpy ones have more shoulder and dome.

Please, MVP, fix the Wave! 🥺
I've been going through that same hunt for good Waves, since stores started getting them back in stock! 😅

I've found that I like the 150s Cosmic Neutron, but that in regular Neutron I had to step up to mid-to-upper 160s to get the lock-in and fly straight flight.

Picked up a medium and soft pixel a few weeks ago and finally played with them this weekend. Normally push putt with supersoft wizards for reference.

Depth wasn't an issue at all but I've got pretty large hands. Very glidey compared to a wizard and didn't have as much fade on longer putts.

It was fairly windy both days so I put a bit more spin on my putts than I normally would. They did fine in the wind, especially with more spin I tend to put those on a flatter release compared to my normal shallow hyzer push putt.

I was pleasantly surprised with them and will probably grab a couple more. Soft is too soft for putting but I liked it as a short distance anny upshot disc. Medium was nice, but the firms I felt up in the store still had some give to them. I could maybe see using firms in the summer.

Picked up a medium and soft pixel a few weeks ago and finally played with them this weekend. Normally push putt with supersoft wizards for reference.

Depth wasn't an issue at all but I've got pretty large hands. Very glidey compared to a wizard and didn't have as much fade on longer putts.

It was fairly windy both days so I put a bit more spin on my putts than I normally would. They did fine in the wind, especially with more spin I tend to put those on a flatter release compared to my normal shallow hyzer push putt.

I was pleasantly surprised with them and will probably grab a couple more. Soft is too soft for putting but I liked it as a short distance anny upshot disc. Medium was nice, but the firms I felt up in the store still had some give to them. I could maybe see using firms in the summer.
Were you able to find firms that were tacky? I went with mediums, because all the firms at the shop I went to were super slick...

Were you able to find firms that were tacky? I went with mediums, because all the firms at the shop I went to were super slick...

I didn't feel up the firms when I was at the shop on initial purchase because I figured they'd be too stiff in winter weather. Went back a few days later and they only had a couple firms left but they were white cores, didn't feel too slick.

Keep in mind I'm 45 minutes from the Gateway factory though. Everybody in the STL area is kinda conditioned to Gateway putters needing a bit of use before they really start to feel great.

@dehaas Thanks for mentioning the wizard and the pixel. I was kinda wondering that a wizard thrower would say.

Random thought incoming, thanks for the intro 😄

I found my old S magic last night in the yard (it hangs out around the pin for kids who drop by the lower yard)... I sized it up next to the pixel and they are pretty similar low plh, dome and height. The bottom bevel is less extreme on the pixel I definitely take to the flatter angled lower rim like the spin, envy, rhyno, magic kinda discs. The way the nose is rounded it also made me think wizard.. 🤔

So it has a bottom bevel in between a magic and envy, a nose like a wizard and a bead between a envy and wizard. Throws with a flight that goes as far as an envy, gliding like a magic with stability like a wizard.

Yet it putts like a warlock maybe anode? Maybe just between a wizard and spin? (But not a voodoo!) Haha that's the point where I should probably just cash out of here and go to work.

I was also trying to find a way to relate it to a stego with a way way less extreme and straight flight. Then I had another beer and went to bed. It has very low turn (from a 3-5 degree anhyzer) a long gyro push and good glide yet a straight loafy fade. Good for looping around trees. Actually a lot like that beat up super glow 170g wizard I had. Okay leaving for sure this time...

Last edited:
@dehaas Thanks for mentioning the wizard and the pixel. I was kinda wondering that a wizard thrower would say.

Random thought incoming, thanks for the into 😄

I found my old S magic last night in the yard (it hangs out around the pin for kids who drop by the lower yard)... I sized it up next to the pixel and they are pretty similar low plh, dome and height. The bottom bevel is less extreme on the pixel I definitely take to the flatter angled lower rim like the spin, envy, rhyno, magic kinda discs. The way the nose is rounded it also made me think wizard.. 🤔

So it has a bottom bevel in between a magic and envy, a nose like a wizard and a bead between a envy and wizard. Throws with a flight that goes as far as an envy, gliding like a magic with stability like a wizard.

Yet it putts like a warlock maybe anode? Maybe just between a wizard and spin? (But not a voodoo!) Haha that's the point where I should probably just cash out of here and go to work.

I was also trying to find a way to relate it to a stego with a way way less extreme and straight flight. Then I had another beer and went to bed. It has very low turn (from a 3-5 degree anhyzer) a long gyro push and good glide yet a straight loafy fade. Good for looping around trees. Actually a lot like that beat up super glow 170g wizard I had. Okay leaving for sure this time...
I'd say between a beat in Wizard and a Spin is pretty close. I'd almost say it flies like a Watt, but in Electron plastic.

It turns very gently for my tastes - that's the same reason I've been leaning more heavily on my Spins (electron, proton, or R2) than my Watt for drives and approaches. On wooded courses where I'm throwing a putter, I find that I often need more shape than the Pixel or Watt want to provide. On a shot with no ceiling, or where I just need a laserbeam, the Watt and Pixel are both amazing - but in woods golf, how often do we really have shots like that?

I'd say between a beat in Wizard and a Spin is pretty close. I'd almost say it flies like a Watt, but in Electron plastic.

It turns very gently for my tastes - that's the same reason I've been leaning more heavily on my Spins (electron, proton, or R2) than my Watt for drives and approaches. On wooded courses where I'm throwing a putter, I find that I often need more shape than the Pixel or Watt want to provide. On a shot with no ceiling, or where I just need a laserbeam, the Watt and Pixel are both amazing - but in woods golf, how often do we really have shots like that?
I get/throw those laser shots a lot, not always the safest option 😆... I like the gentle or no turn for pushing really straight. The pixel is a better watt, mostly because it doesn't f off anhyzer on my steep downhill, drop like a stone or fade too far off target. It's less angle sensitive. Been in/near c1 every time but the first throw.

You guys might wanna wait before comparing electron Pixels to premium Watts, Envys or others. Base plastic is typically gonna have better glide than premium, all else being equal.

Lay off the beers and bongs if you're trying to compare a glidey gyro putter to a Stego. 🤔
I get/throw those laser shots a lot, not always the safest option 😆... I like the gentle or no turn for pushing really straight. The pixel is a better watt, mostly because it doesn't f off anhyzer on my steep downhill, drop like a stone or fade too far off target. It's less angle sensitive. Been in/near c1 every time but the first throw.

The Watt needs a baby hyzer to laserbeam, once it's been introduced to a few obstacles. That, and I think it likes to fly nose up a bit better than the Pixel. That said, on a steep downhill, I usually let the disc turn all it wants, and aim for the comeback to center. There's a great reel on my Instagram of me throwing a Comet on hole 9 of the Toboggan way left off the teepad, and having it fade to the center of the fairway after it was done turning... 😁

To me the nose on the pixel feels a bit more bullet shaped where the wizard's nose is a bit tighter and more radiused if that makes sense.

Honestly when I felt the pixel the first thing I thought was DM p1x.

Why oh why is my plasma wave more OS than my cg wraith and halo emperor? I feel like its flight numbers are 11 5 0 2.5 or so.
Is your Plasma Wave stiff? My last Plasma Wave 171g was stiff, and couldn't get the distance I was used too, and would dump on me. Only kept it a few months after too much frustration. Prior to the 171g, I had a 163g a little flippy, I could turn it LHBH left center coming back to the middle with solid distance. Used it in the woods, had it almost a year before losing it in a snake infested swamp. I've been waiting since August for MVP to produce right round the same weight, none to be found since August, I'll get two. So perhaps yours is stiff, masquerading as OS?

I've noticed the same stiffness OS with Neutron Wave's. A 168g was stiff, dump out on me as well, lost it in leaf's a few months ago not to upset about it. Prior a 171g that was a little flippy, picked it up the same time as the Plasma 163g, they were like Batman and Robin in the woods, the Neutron more mid-level flight down fairway, more ending fade skip. The Plasma higher level flight, just a tad more distance than Neutron, had a fun time with both of them. I now have a 166g Neutron that's flippy same results as the 171g, just need a Plasma to pair up with it.

IMO Plasma, and Neutron that are stiff can appear to be OS for slower arm speeds, myself. Fission's I've had 148g to 175g never had one stiff, no OS.

Is your Plasma Wave stiff? My last Plasma Wave 171g was stiff, and couldn't get the distance I was used too, and would dump on me. Only kept it a few months after too much frustration. Prior to the 171g, I had a 163g a little flippy, I could turn it LHBH left center coming back to the middle with solid distance. Used it in the woods, had it almost a year before losing it in a snake infested swamp. I've been waiting since August for MVP to produce right round the same weight, none to be found since August, I'll get two. So perhaps yours is stiff, masquerading as OS?

I've noticed the same stiffness OS with Neutron Wave's. A 168g was stiff, dump out on me as well, lost it in leaf's a few months ago not to upset about it. Prior a 171g that was a little flippy, picked it up the same time as the Plasma 163g, they were like Batman and Robin in the woods, the Neutron more mid-level flight down fairway, more ending fade skip. The Plasma higher level flight, just a tad more distance than Neutron, had a fun time with both of them. I now have a 166g Neutron that's flippy same results as the 171g, just need a Plasma to pair up with it.

IMO Plasma, and Neutron that are stiff can appear to be OS for slower arm speeds, myself. Fission's I've had 148g to 175g never had one stiff, no OS.
Its fairly stiff, noticeably stiffer than my gstar discs and not much different my neutron discs. I threw it hard FH, just after throwing a halo star emperor FH and the emperor had a hint of turn while the wave stayed flat and then faded fairly hard. I'm glad to here this is not an isolated thing, I may find a use for it as a more control distance FH driver.

It's candy store time! 35 pixels arrived at Play It Again Sports. I was the first one called and the first one to sort it out. I was actually on my way to the store for my bi-monthly visit.

Attachments

• 20240306_112159.jpg
    20240306_112159.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
It's candy store time! 35 pixels arrived at Play It Again Sports. I was the first one called and the first one to sort it out. I was actually on my way to the store for my bi-monthly visit.
And.... do they feel good? Did you buy some?

I kind of have brick and mortar envy... now that the record stores are closed I can only flip through discs for nostalgia...and check domes etc

And.... do they feel good? Did you buy some?

I kind of have brick and mortar envy... now that the record stores are closed I can only flip through discs for nostalgia...and check domes etc
They closed the record stores near you? I can get to 5 good ones in less than 45 minutes of driving, one is less than a mile away!

Yes I did! The soft 174g had the best grip, and I'll give the grip an outstanding. The firm 175g a good enough grip. What's called a regular or medium Pixel?, didn't like it at all. I went thru every disc in that box and their are settle differences from disc to disc. The best grip for firm and soft were black, I'm not getting a black disc, the majority of the courses I play are heavily wooded with canopy. The second best grip were the pinks. Looks like to me their color coded based on hand size? Where a different color is good for somebody else?

Already did some garage putting my basket 15-20 feet and liked what I felt and saw both disc. Tomorrow when the rain ends, 10-15 mph using the practice basket at a course close by for putts and approaches. Friday course day same wind, Monday 25 mph wind course day, I'll use them behind my Plasma Envy u til I get comfortable. Regardless of the wind results, the feel good grip means there here to stay and should be good to go for the summer calm winds. A year ago I like the grip of an Electron Anode, but was killed by the wind, should of kept it for the summer. I'm bringing it back, and call it lessons learned from a year ago.

I also brought home a Fission Crave 161g, inspired by the Fission Insanity 163g from a few weeks ago. The Insanity bombs, scratch the Crave off my wish list.

Attachments

• 20240306_122420.jpg
    20240306_122420.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240306_151353.jpg
    20240306_151353.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Virginia Beach, the manager was still calling people as I was going thru the box, and will post on Instagram. Maybe gone in a few days?

Good to hear about the pink/purple pixel heater... 2024-03-0618.57.154424615271340113571.jpg
Here's my fission insanity and pixel... the art on both insanities are DoubleRam design, done by a great Canadian artist Michael R. Mines the 2nd TS stamp for Chance, it was to incorporate a Lighthouse which was a romantic location (I think he got married or engaged last year at it) and the tentacles from the first stamp. Got it as a surprise gift from him with an order. Your stamp has to do with life unraveling and the confusion that comes with insanity, it's meant to raise awareness for those affected, I believe it had personal meaning for M.R. with a family member.

I will spare you the normal pixel parade of verbal diarrhea about how great it is, mostly. Haha. Parked and parked and one at 30' (parked enough to be putted). Threw some less than ideal angles still parked, damn thing pushes pretty straight, did a fun straight to late anhyzer to ufo drop. Yeah parked.. 5' away. The Watt will be crying on the shelf by months end. The detour kinda throws the same but less stable, the disc the pixel is reminding me most of is my 10yr old, fairly beat yard box plasma 167g envy.

Latest posts