• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

Did a little reading - sounds like a really fun disc to throw. But, lightest weight seems to be 165g. To throw that 11/5/-3/2, experience tells me I would need to be down at 150g max. How far do you throw? I max at 245', but very rare for me, and that only with a fast, light weight Tern (update, still rare for me, but my 147g Mamba starting to reach 225-245', too). Most often I max at 225', though. Maybe they make a lighter Jet in the future, or I wait until I start getting snap to buy one…
I'm 50 and have always struggled with RHBH. Blew up my form about 4 years ago throwing tons of putters in the field and have smoothened the form and, fast-forwarding to today, can reliably get that Jet to 300' and sometimes a little more. Before I was 45 I could get that far with ugly muscle throws. Now I need good form and a flippy fast driver to do it. I am, however, on the verge of a breakthrough with my bracing. My 14-year-old, who can almost hit 450', taught me to delay getting my plant foot down by a fraction of a second and it seems to keep my core coiled better and longer until right before exploding and letting go. On every fourth or fifth drive, I find the Disc exploding off my fingertips a lot faster and straighter than I ever have. I got 350' on a hole at the Michigan am states and it didn't involve a tailwind in Ludington this way. I'm planning on getting a throwing net for my basement so I can work on it some more this winter.

I've always wondered how Larry LaBond can get his Zeus to POP! off his hand like that while being even a year older than me. He's had the muscle memory of decades behind that and I've only been doing it for like three minutes, but It feels like what I see him doing when I get all the holes of the swiss cheese to line up. I need to work on it a ton, though.

By the way, MVP makes an even flippier fast Disc, the Orbital. I have a 165 one. They bill the high speed flip number at -4.5. It works best for me in extreme tailwinds and when I have to do a standstill but need as much distance as I can (like on an uphill lie you might see at Toboggan). I find myself in that situation at my home course on Hole #18 at Meyer Broadway North in Three Rivers, MI, and get reliable results doing a standstill with that baby on the middle of a sledding hill going uphill needing every inch of a second full drive but must stand still...

Last edited:
I don't see a lot of people talking about putting with the Eclipse Envys. I'm thinking about trying it for a while. I picked one up in October for a glow round, then got a Color Glow and a lab second Eclipse in my gyropalooza box. I have other throwing putters that I like throwing right now, and I haven't really found a putting putter that I love yet, so I figured I might try putting with them for a while and just see how it goes.
I putted 1.0s for a while after they came out. I found they popped out too much. I switched over to the N atom - now OOP - and never looked back.

I am curious how these new fission putters are flying for driving off the tee. I mostly drove N Atom / Entropy.

I have to say I am shocked at what has happened to the fb community. Now it seems like there is a large population of whiners and treasure hunters instead of people who like to throw MVP discs. I even got "lectured" by a fan boy who strongly didn't like that I said I prefer some of Streamline and ThoughtSpace's single mold discs better than the over mold discs.
I have taken about a year off due to surgery and life. I exited all the groups - including here. I got back on the FB group last week to ask questions - and woah - Things have changed. No one there seems to know what they are talking about - they don't want to help - just be jerks - and if I have to read one person yell out "envy" when someone asks for a more stable proxy plastic... 1 week and I'm already leaving it.

I have taken about a year off due to surgery and life. I exited all the groups - including here. I got back on the FB group last week to ask questions - and woah - Things have changed. No one there seems to know what they are talking about - they don't want to help - just be jerks - and if I have to read one person yell out "envy" when someone asks for a more stable proxy plastic... 1 week and I'm already leaving it.
I have a plasma proxy. It is stable to slightly over stable. I good putting putter. I use my neutron slightly beat proxy for approaches with slight turn or hyzer flip straight.

Standard answer is Eclipse is more stable and Electron is less stable.

Firm Electron Proxy is basically the easy button for me when I don't need to go around anything 😁

I have a plasma proxy. It is stable to slightly over stable. I good putting putter. I use my neutron slightly beat proxy for approaches with slight turn or hyzer flip straight.
I use N Atoms for nearly all putt / approach / drives.

Firm Electron Proxy is basically the easy button for me when I don't need to go around anything 😁
Yup. I wasn't the OP but that was my response. .

I use N Atoms for nearly all putt / approach / drives.

Yup. I wasn't the OP but that was my response. .
I was all about the proton Atom for most upshots, it acted like a small diameter mid. And electron atom for turnover hyzerflip upshots. Since last year I am using the streamline glow pilot, acts similar to proton atom. Mvp has so many great putter option.

I was all about the proton Atom for most upshots, it acted like a small diameter mid. And electron atom for turnover hyzerflip upshots. Since last year I am using the streamline glow pilot, acts similar to proton atom. Mvp has so many great putter option.
I've carried the N Atoms for several years - they are the straightest flying disc I've ever thrown. Just pin point accuracy with no turn or fade. If I mess up a putt, it's cause I threw it too short. I don't know about the Pilot - that's one I've never tried because I do feel like gyro adds something - particularly on slower discs. I've tried Envys in most plastics, N Ohm, N proxy - and Atom was my favorite - followed by the Ohm.

I have a hate - hate relationship with midranges. It's the rim + wing. I've never liked them. I carry the Matrix - because it's the most putter-like Midrange in the line-up. One-day it will happen - a company will produce this - they'll take their speed 4 OS putter and make a stable version that we putter lovers can just rip on. I am unaware of one today - but I guarantee it will happen as more and more players are discarding 4 speeds for putters - they will push for faster putters.

I've carried the N Atoms for several years - they are the straightest flying disc I've ever thrown. Just pin point accuracy with no turn or fade. If I mess up a putt, it's cause I threw it too short. I don't know about the Pilot - that's one I've never tried because I do feel like gyro adds something - particularly on slower discs. I've tried Envys in most plastics, N Ohm, N proxy - and Atom was my favorite - followed by the Ohm.

I have a hate - hate relationship with midranges. It's the rim + wing. I've never liked them. I carry the Matrix - because it's the most putter-like Midrange in the line-up. One-day it will happen - a company will produce this - they'll take their speed 4 OS putter and make a stable version that we putter lovers can just rip on. I am unaware of one today - but I guarantee it will happen as more and more players are discarding 4 speeds for putters - they will push for faster putters.
From what I hear the glow plastic adds some stability/overstabilty to the Pilot. I find myself incorporating more single molds into my bag, I found as time goes by I don't have the same snap I used to to get overmolds to work for me. My over molds drivers tend to lean to the understable side of things. I agree that companies will likely sell fewer and fewer mids.

I don't see a lot of people talking about putting with the Eclipse Envys. I'm thinking about trying it for a while. I picked one up in October for a glow round, then got a Color Glow and a lab second Eclipse in my gyropalooza box. I have other throwing putters that I like throwing right now, and I haven't really found a putting putter that I love yet, so I figured I might try putting with them for a while and just see how it goes.
So how did it go?

I putt a prototype eclipse envy, both the electron and a Proton glow. The eclipse proton is slightly softer and straighter than any other eclipse I've owned. Its got a grinch dyed on it.. Sample size of one. I haven't thrown the backup from the gyro box yet.

No one there seems to know what they are talking about - they don't want to help - just be jerks - and if I have to read one person yell out "envy" when someone asks for a more stable proxy plastic... 1 week and I'm already leaving it.
... that didn't last long. I got troll spammed by a crew of dudes including a mod of the "other" forum for pointing out that the OP wanted to know the most stable plastic for a proxy... and that stable meant 0 - not Atom, Envy... I'm off that forum and blocking folks left and right. Wow that place has gone to hell. I'm happy to be back amongst my olds! :)

I tried to get an answer over there - and all I got was jerks and midrange - How do the Fission Envy / Proxy fly? How will they compare to my N Atoms? Anyone got a take? I'm looking for an extra 20-30 feet from a putter.

Last edited:

I'm not finding eclipse 2.0 to be much different than my seasoned neutron in field work. Ended up filling that slot with an ohm. Similar feel and a touch more lss, especially over 200'.

... that didn't last long. I got troll spammed by a crew of dudes including a mod of the "other" forum for pointing out that the OP wanted to know the most stable plastic for a proxy... and that stable meant 0 - not Atom, Envy... I'm off that forum and blocking folks left and right. Wow that place has gone to hell. I'm happy to be back amongst my olds! :)

I tried to get an answer over there - and all I got was jerks and midrange - How do the Fission Envy / Proxy fly? How will they compare to my N Atoms? Anyone got a take? I'm looking for an extra 20-30 feet from a putter.
Good to see ya!

Extra 20' how? Driving or putting?

I tried a light 155 fission envy, not a huge fan out of the gate but it is breaking into something. Haha. Still not a favourite. I had a couple HOC neutron atoms, the 170g was the runner up I could been ThrowitAtom. Good disc. Not the glidiest but very very straight (or micro s wobble).

The neutron atoms kinda like an envy and anodes bastard love child. ❤️

I know this is a stupid question but have you tried an electron Atom?

Second suggestion.. how about an electron envy?

Good to see ya!

Extra 20' how? Driving or putting?

I tried a light 155 fission envy, not a huge fan out of the gate but it is breaking into something. Haha. Still not a favourite. I had a couple HOC neutron atoms, the 170g was the runner up I could been ThrowitAtom. Good disc. Not the glidiest but very very straight (or micro s wobble).

The neutron atoms kinda like an envy and anodes bastard love child. ❤️

I know this is a stupid question but have you tried an electron Atom?

Second suggestion.. how about an electron envy?
Not a big fan of electron. They beat in too quick and get wobbly. Actually - my first MVP disc was an electron atom. :)

Driving - I throw the N Atoms roughly 280-300'. Not Simon - but who is? Ideally I'd like to be hitting that 300-320' range without discing up to faster discs. I've had good luck with Fission adding a touch of extra Distance - can lower the weight a few notches and crank. I mix the Waves between Proton / Fission for my Stable / Understable DD.

Not a big fan of electron. They beat in too quick and get wobbly. Actually - my first MVP disc was an electron atom. :)

Driving - I throw the N Atoms roughly 280-300'. Not Simon - but who is? Ideally I'd like to be hitting that 300-320' range without discing up to faster discs. I've had good luck with Fission adding a touch of extra Distance - can lower the weight a few notches and crank. I mix the Waves between Proton / Fission for my Stable / Understable DD.
You're a little ahead of me for distance but I'd try a cycle with an electron envy, the electron Atom was really glidey and understable. The electron envy beats into atom stability while extending the glide. If premium plastic is a sticking point id go with an Ohm. Absolutely awesome underrated disc and I think it flies more like an atom than a proxy does.

The inner rim is also perfectly square if you prefer that. (I do haha)

Well I got a 153g fission rhythm, little dome, it's starting out reasonably straight stable.. more hss than expected (neutral) and less panning fade, it's more of a gyro push to drop. Exceptionally straight at 270ish. Be interesting how long it holds it for, my 160 fission does a lot more panning left and right but it's also flatter.... and this is the first time I've thrown with low pain for awhile.

I started throwing the Axiom Tenacity again last weekend. Dang, thrown in the right angle that disc bombs! The wider rim doesn't bother me as I have bigger hands. The only caveats are, 1) not good into headwind, 2) you need to give it room to do it's thing. With some practice, I can even carve some lines in the woods with it.

So how did it go?

I putt a prototype eclipse envy, both the electron and a Proton glow. The eclipse proton is slightly softer and straighter than any other eclipse I've owned. Its got a grinch dyed on it.. Sample size of one. I haven't thrown the backup from the gyro box yet.
Not bad, but I did want a bit more grip and a bit straighter flight from my putting putters. I've been putting with Atoms most of the year.

Not bad, but I did want a bit more grip and a bit straighter flight from my putting putters. I've been putting with Atoms most of the year.
Gotcha, well if electron envys are out and assuming straighter means less fade.... the OTB soft proton ohm is groovy and so is the soft proton OTB envy... both hard to get I imagine. I've got one of each. The proxy will give you more plastic options but I prefer ohms. I harbour an irrational dislike of the proxy so I'm a little biased.

Latest posts