• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

"Twitchy" came from the Prism Plasma which I had for a while. Absolutely gorgeous but not a help on the course, necessarily. When I've thrown Electron, they behave like my Proxy. Obviously, operator error is always going to be a potential culprit in either scenario. Maybe I'll start with the Eclipse and see if I need to back down from there.

@Moose33 will appreciate the specific scenario: Oregon Park 3 Gold is a relatively short par 4 (maybe 400?) with a constricted tee shot and a steady rise in elevation. My standard play is a Motion FH off the tee for position to access the right/lower fairway, chew up distance on the second, and then approach on the third (playing for a steady par). I've tried everything in the bag on that approach shot, FH and BH, and I can go long of the pin (steep drop off) and down toward the tennis courts in every conceivable way.
I am 100% on board with that play but that hole is over 600ft to the gold.

Ok, you people win. Or more accurately, the course won this morning. I have an Envy sized hole in the bag. Adore the Proxy for floaty and/or anhyzer approaches. The Tempo has legs but seems to need a bit of power to do good things. Same with the Entropy if I need some positive, stable movement. So the straight/stable counterpart to the Proxy is what we're after. That might still be a Proton Atom, but I'm kind of keeping the Atom for circle one putting. Thoughts on which Envies are more likely to be stable and which are more likely to be a bit twitchy and turn over?

I think the soft proton from OTB and the new eclipse envy's just don't seem as stable as a 'normal' envy should be. The rest of the Envy's I have owned (soft neutron, fission, neutron, proton, prism proton) etc. have more or less flown the same. The stabilities certainly varied between the five plastics I listed but not significantly enough to write about on a forum. maybe 3 3 0 1.8-2.2 or something ridiculous like that. I hate myself for even typing that but I hope it gets the point across :ROFLMAO:

Now...where i have absolutely seen a big stability difference in Envy's seems to be the shoulder height of the disc. I am really not sure what causes it but I have had two envy's that felt, for lack of a better term, thick. Most envy's fit nice in my hand and feel comfortable but I found one proton and one plasma envy that were super beefcake, almost entropy level beef cake. And the only thing they had in common is they just seemed taller than a normal envy when sat on the table.

I am 100% on board with that play but that hole is over 600ft to the gold.
That's the happiest I'll be to be wrong this week. Not sure where the 400 got lodged into my brain but I had internalized and assumed it was just graceful aging that was preventing me from getting there. As it turns out, it's just because the hole's longer.

Was racing the dusk last night on ERP Black. Really solid FH flex with a Plasma Octane on 9 gave me my first birdie look from the long tee. I don't have the arm to actually push it for distance, but the Octane's quickly becoming a shaping favorite.

Phase I of the new releases is May 1st. Prism Proton hex, proton soft Tempo, proton glitch, proton paradox, Eclipse drift, and Eclipse Servo. I'll pick up the hex and tempo for sure.

I'm getting very comfortable putting with the Cosmic Electron Atom Firm. Photo left In the basket is a 74-foot par save, laser into a 15-20 mph headwind. Had two 40-foot birdie drops in the first round. Today was a good confidence boost in that type of wind putting. I've been stretching out the Firm in putting distance the past week, last week dropped in a 71-footer for birdie in calm wind. The Electron Medium Atom a few weeks ago a 91-foot birdie drop. Firm primarily for C1, and some long range putting. Medium long range putting and approaches.

Middle photo that's where I was coming from laying two arriving here with a Virus trying to turn it into the headwind. You can see the short tee pad next to the tree line and river, but I was teeing from longs just to the left of those white rocks.

The photo on right is from long tee pad where I threw from #9 par 3, 379 feet to short basket home course Munden Point. I normally throw a 2 step thru the middle gap towards the river on other side of Fairway, it's a peninsula Fairway sharing with #8. Today a late release with a Proton Photon chosen by wind direction, took me over the water thru the left gap splashing thru leafs, lucky not to lose it in the water. I've lost my share of disc here. Fun Hole, one of the tougher tees I've played, and most scenic. With calmer winds, I play a Plasma Insanity middle gap. To long basket 411 feet, past those trees a lazy dogleg left along the tree line and river.

Attachments

• 20240422_100139.jpg
    20240422_100139.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240422_100144.jpg
    20240422_100144.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240406_093146.jpg
    20240406_093146.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Lol, I love my Cosmic Electron Atom Firm. I just dropped another 74-foot putt for birdie this time. Back to back course days same distance 20 mph headwind. Laser left chains faded in

Attachments

• 20240424_081949.jpg
    20240424_081949.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
I found a proton crave on a course by my house. I'm not super in love with it but look at the prices. People are asking 50 bucks for them. What's up with that?

I had previously lost a really well beaten-in champ leopard on that same course so this seems to take a similar slot, but not laser straight like the leopard was.

Similar numbers, but it always hooks hard right (LHBH). I have an MVP volt From " back in the day" (maybe 2nd run, 2014ish) and a relay, and they all fly the exact same. I have a Madison Walker Terrapin station Watt though that is the best putter I've ever used. The drivers all fly the same for me, I don't get it.

Also my favorite mid is a well-beaten First Run Meteor. Will I like a Hex or new Detour more? Or should I also expect all of those the hook right like an over-stable buzzz?

[COLOR=var(--text-lighter)]Also my favorite mid is a well-beaten First Run Meteor. Will I like a Hex or new Detour more? Or should I also expect all of those the hook right like an over-stable buzzz?[/COLOR]
Detour will definitely be closer to a worn Meteor than a Hex.

I found a proton crave on a course by my house. I'm not super in love with it but look at the prices. People are asking 50 bucks for them. What's up with that?

I had previously lost a really well beaten-in champ leopard on that same course so this seems to take a similar slot, but not laser straight like the leopard was.

Similar numbers, but it always hooks hard right (LHBH). I have an MVP volt From " back in the day" (maybe 2nd run, 2014ish) and a relay, and they all fly the exact same. I have a Madison Walker Terrapin station Watt though that is the best putter I've ever used. The drivers all fly the same for me, I don't get it.

Also my favorite mid is a well-beaten First Run Meteor. Will I like a Hex or new Detour more? Or should I also expect all of those the hook right like an over-stable buzzz?

I think the proton craves just haven't been run in a while. I don't think there is anything particularly special about them other than that. Wraths were selling at inflated prices up until the most recent drop so now they are plentiful. Craves can be finicky though depending on your arm speed and distance. As my technique and power were growing, the Crave went from being straight/nice fade to right on a razors edge of stability. Now they are just a tad bit understable and I'm OK with that.

Regarding the volt/relay I am not sure what to say other than flight numbers are just a suggestion. The relay has always seemed a lot more stable to me than the numbers suggest but I think the Volt is still more stable. The drivers flying the same could be a distance thing but idk what your typical distance thrown is. The way the Insanity flies for me is a heck of a lot different than it flies for my buddy who has about 200' of power.

Watts are amazing, I have putted with them but am currently using the pixel. If i want to take discs on a business trip or just rock a 6-disc bag, I can putt with the Watt just fine, but they are also amazing throwers.

Like others have said, detour is going to be closer to that meteor. I have heard rumblings (nothing confirmed) that the gyropalooza detour's were a bit more US than what they should be and the stock run will fix that. IDK if i would believe it but it will certainly be something I am following. The hex is very similar to a buzzz but just flies a bit farther.

I think the proton craves just haven't been run in a while. I don't think there is anything particularly special about them other than that. Wraths were selling at inflated prices up until the most recent drop so now they are plentiful. Craves can be finicky though depending on your arm speed and distance. As my technique and power were growing, the Crave went from being straight/nice fade to right on a razors edge of stability. Now they are just a tad bit understable and I'm OK with that.

Regarding the volt/relay I am not sure what to say other than flight numbers are just a suggestion. The relay has always seemed a lot more stable to me than the numbers suggest but I think the Volt is still more stable. The drivers flying the same could be a distance thing but idk what your typical distance thrown is. The way the Insanity flies for me is a heck of a lot different than it flies for my buddy who has about 200' of power.

Watts are amazing, I have putted with them but am currently using the pixel. If i want to take discs on a business trip or just rock a 6-disc bag, I can putt with the Watt just fine, but they are also amazing throwers.

Like others have said, detour is going to be closer to that meteor. I have heard rumblings (nothing confirmed) that the gyropalooza detour's were a bit more US than what they should be and the stock run will fix that. IDK if i would believe it but it will certainly be something I am following. The hex is very similar to a buzzz but just flies a bit farther.
Yeah, I'm just now coming back seriously to the sport after 10 years. 2022-23 I played a few rounds here and there but now I'm out on the course every day. But my Best distance is less than 250'.

My best is 236 with a Valkyrie on UDisc and consistently 225 with a Pro Leopard. LHBH. so maybe it's just really underpowered still. I guess I'm just not sure how accurate the UDisc GPS because I've parked close to baskets where the holes were 250ish. I know not all course signage are super accurate either.

Yeah, I'm just now coming back seriously to the sport after 10 years. 2022-23 I played a few rounds here and there but now I'm out on the course every day. But my Best distance is less than 250'.

My best is 236 with a Valkyrie on UDisc and consistently 225 with a Pro Leopard. LHBH. so maybe it's just really underpowered still. I guess I'm just not sure how accurate the UDisc GPS because I've parked close to baskets where the holes were 250ish. I know not all course signage are super accurate either.
Yeah so I won't be the gatekeeper who is going to tell you to just throw mids and putters. Go have fun and I hope you get hooked back in. But, realistically speaking, with 220-250' of power, you are most likely not going to see massive differences between the volt and relay.

I would definitely take a look at some of the new understable stuff that has come out in recent years:

Uplink and Paradox are two mids currently easy to find that are super fun to throw. the Uplink is the most US I carry in my bag and I love it.

The ascend is a speed 6 disc but a ton of fun to throw and I have used it quite a bit too. The rhythm is also nice but will likely be similar to your proton crave you found or maybe just a hair less stable.

I love the insanity and virus, while they are speed 9's, I think they could be very useable.

But when you start to look at Servo, Relay, Resistor, Volt, Terra, Wrath, Tesla, etc. you are most likely going to see similar flight paths with little disparity in terms of distance.

Yeah so I won't be the gatekeeper who is going to tell you to just throw mids and putters. Go have fun and I hope you get hooked back in. But, realistically speaking, with 220-250' of power, you are most likely not going to see massive differences between the volt and relay.

I would definitely take a look at some of the new understable stuff that has come out in recent years:

Uplink and Paradox are two mids currently easy to find that are super fun to throw. the Uplink is the most US I carry in my bag and I love it.

The ascend is a speed 6 disc but a ton of fun to throw and I have used it quite a bit too. The rhythm is also nice but will likely be similar to your proton crave you found or maybe just a hair less stable.

I love the insanity and virus, while they are speed 9's, I think they could be very useable.

But when you start to look at Servo, Relay, Resistor, Volt, Terra, Wrath, Tesla, etc. you are most likely going to see similar flight paths with little disparity in terms of distance.

I got a volt along time ago when I was throwing a lot of forehand. Relay I picked up recently because it has the exact same numbers of a leopard. My worn in pro leopard is my most consistent, over 200 feet and dead straight. Valkyrie is similar.

Buzz and meteor go consistently shorter. I also throw a comet that gets close to 200' though. I use an MVP Watt that goes dead straight but never close to 200

My whole bag is just 2x pro leopard, DX & Champ Valkyrie, proton crave, 2x Meteor (worn first run Z, and Big Z), 2x Buzzz (beat-in Z and newer Big Z), worn Buzz SS, Z Swirl Comet, neutron Watt and SS Wizard.

I had a Z Nuke SS for forehand S curves and lost that along with Pro & Star Leopards.

I have an axiom pitch and several other discs like 2nd run Volt, Relay as previously mentioned but also Aviar, Shark, Innova IT (modified leopard?) but the above is the bag

Stopped at a PIAS on the way home from playing rounds, that I visit about once a month a little ways from home

The purple disc is a Cosmic Proton Wave 158g. Threw it a few times in a crosswind 15 to 20 mph, nice turn and fading back in. Have some work to do downwind.

Next to the Wave a Proton Crave 165g, same deal both wind directions, good distance. @skypup only cost $20.

What I didn't pick up on the right an Eclipse Virus. An understable Eclipse may not be a good idea for me, and I like my Neutron Virus. The $35 price tag made it easy to pass up.

I've been on a Proton and Electron kick the past few months. On Wednesday I'll pick up my Prism Proton Hex, and Proton Tempo. Looking forward to throwing them.

Attachments

• 20240429_125449.jpg
    20240429_125449.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240429_114818.jpg
    20240429_114818.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Stopped at a PIAS on the way home from playing rounds, that I visit about once a month a little ways from home

The purple disc is a Cosmic Proton Wave 158g. Threw it a few times in a crosswind 15 to 20 mph, nice turn and fading back in. Have some work to do downwind.

Next to the Wave a Proton Crave 165g, same deal both wind directions, good distance. @skypup only cost $20.

What I didn't pick up on the right an Eclipse Virus. An understable Eclipse may not be a good idea for me, and I like my Neutron Virus. The $35 price tag made it easy to pass up.

I've been on a Proton and Electron kick the past few months. On Wednesday I'll pick up my Prism Proton Hex, and Proton Tempo. Looking forward to throwing them.
That's good, I was throwing on my local course and some kids who always ask for discs had a proton crave they said someone from the league yesterday gave them. So I guess it can't be too crazy.

Very cool stuff though I've heard good stuff about the Wave as well

I had found UDisc GPS not to be accurate. For more than a year, I now have a laser range finder very accurate. I've used it to range my practice field, longest drive on holes on courses that I frequent, and putts outside C2. I document the latter two with the name of the disc and putter.

I've got one of those eclipse Viruses and it's really good, but not $35 good. Way more stable than an average Virus.

I take anything in Eclipse that's easier to throw than those inertia and insanity. I think I will snag an orbital and give them a try again.

Got my first pixel ace that I got paid for... and a ctp with it. It's earned its purchase price.

I've got one of those eclipse Viruses and it's really good, but not $35 good. Way more stable than an average Virus.
I was wondering about stability, but I was thinking more understable. Sounds like an Eclipse Crave and Reactor those are more stable than the Crave Plasma, Fission, and what few throws with the Proton today. Same verses the Neutron Reactor.

Don't need another stable 9 speed, Plasma for gaps and Proton/Fission for wind Insanity take care of that. Last week arrived a Horizon Vanguard 20 mph Plus cross and headwind stable straight with ending fade. That had me excited, my Insanity and Virus can't take that.

I was wondering about stability, but I was thinking more understable. Sounds like an Eclipse Crave and Reactor those are more stable than the Crave Plasma, Fission, and what few throws with the Proton today. Same verses the Neutron Reactor.

Don't need another stable 9 speed, Plasma for gaps and Proton/Fission for wind Insanity take care of that. Last week arrived a Horizon Vanguard 20 mph Plus cross and headwind stable straight with ending fade. That had me excited, my Insanity and Virus can't take that.
I threw mine on a round when I first got it and I do like it enough to keep it in my glow bag. It's basically like a star Valk. Super long for a 9 speed, but can take some power.