• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP discs float?

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO DESCRIBED WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE DISC FLOATING!!

If something shifts it a little and loses the air trapped under the flightplate, it'll sink like a stone. I once watched my oldest and perfectly seasoned Champ TeeBird float across a lake for hours that sunk right before it got within reach. Hope you get a chance at getting it back.

If something shifts it a little and loses the air trapped under the flightplate, it'll sink like a stone. I once watched my oldest and perfectly seasoned Champ TeeBird float across a lake for hours that sunk right before it got within reach. Hope you get a chance at getting it back.

Well considering ducks were swimming around it. I am sure it is gone. I am going to try to go back tomorrow real quick, but it would be a miracle if it was still there.

`yes that I know but im talking about freezing cold water being more dense to support a disc vs warm summer water. Our lakes/ponds are still iced over mostly so it could even just be sitting on ice.

Changes in the density of liquid water due to seasonal temperature variations are too minute to make any real world difference in whether not your disc will float.

Water reaches it's max density at about 4°C (about 39°F).
At 30°C (about 86° F), it's density is 99.54% of it's density at 4°C.
So over that entire range of temperature (from approaching freezing to fairly warm), it's density only changes by 0.46%.

Density of Water (g/mL) vs. Temperature (°C)

When discs that "don't float" do, it's usually because of an air pocket - not because the water is cold.

Last edited:
I wish they did, lost one of my volts in the water recently. I had a amp go into a shallow stream and it definitely didnt float at 171 grams. Fortunately I was able to get my amp back.

Changes in the density of liquid water due to seasonal temperature variations are too minute to make any real world difference in whether not your disc will float.

Water reaches it's max density at about 4°C (about 39°F).
At 30°C (about 86° F), it's density is 99.54% of it's density at 4°C.
So over that entire range of temperature (from approaching freezing to fairly warm), it's density only changes by 0.46%.

Density of Water (g/mL) vs. Temperature (°C)

When discs that "don't float" do, it's usually because of an air pocket - not because the water is cold.

Or it was on a mini-iceberg.