• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP discs float?

aajpity

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
As you can see from the two pictures.. My 170ishg Amp floats on water.. It's the little Pink disc if you can't see it, although it looks white. But who knows, I'm color blind.

How this happened? Well I slipped on some snow on the pad and unleashed my drive far to the right and it was a good drive (distance wise). A good 300ft drive straight into the middle of the pond.. I am hoping it floats towards safety so I can retrieve it but since nobody returns discs.. Why do I hope.. Thought I'd share though. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 20130417_162137.jpg
    20130417_162137.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 20130417_162142.jpg
    20130417_162142.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 107
As you can see from the two pictures.. My 170ishg Amp floats on water.. It's the little Pink disc if you can't see it, although it looks white. But who knows, I'm color blind.

How this happened? Well I slipped on some snow on the pad and unleashed my drive far to the right and it was a good drive (distance wise). A good 300ft drive straight into the middle of the pond.. I am hoping it floats towards safety so I can retrieve it but since nobody returns discs.. Why do I hope.. Thought I'd share though. Enjoy.

crazy! where did you lose this one in MN? SKOL vikes ;)

Im going to fill my bathtub now... lol

is it upside down?
thought this too-- specially being so cold here maybe something to do with water density etc? Any Bill Nyes out there want to enlighten us feel free.

thought this too-- specially being so cold here maybe something to do with water density etc? Any Bill Nyes out there want to enlighten us feel free.

simple this has happened to me it lands flat and air gets trapped under the flight plate and the rim seals in the air

I have had a rash of my non floating disc float. I was told its a matter of how they land. Sometimes a small air pocket is form and is actually What keeps them up. But if you make waves trying to get them, they sink. May be what happened to you

simple this has happened to me it lands flat and air gets trapped under the flight plate and the rim seals in the air

`yes that I know but im talking about freezing cold water being more dense to support a disc vs warm summer water. Our lakes/ponds are still iced over mostly so it could even just be sitting on ice.

is it upside down?

No, it landed flat up. I could see it floating.. Then some ducks swam to it and were playing with it.. We left because it was so cold so not sure what happened now..

It was pretty cool I thought.. Although I have to work nearly 2 hours to buy this disc over again.. Really upset because I barely got to throw it and was really digging it..

`yes that I know but im talking about freezing cold water being more dense to support a disc vs warm summer water. Our lakes/ponds are still iced over mostly so it could even just be sitting on ice.

It was not sitting on ice.. It kept floating away.. Further and further, further and further. Mocking me..

what the hellllll. if you can see it you go and get it.

lol. I was getting ready to strip down to my boxers and go swim after it but my friends convinced me to stop because of hypothermia. The possibility of me dying was too much lol. It was deep out there, if it was half the distance it was I easily would have gone to fetch it.

No, it landed flat up. I could see it floating.. Then some ducks swam to it and were playing with it.. We left because it was so cold so not sure what happened now..

It was pretty cool I thought.. Although I have to work nearly 2 hours to buy this disc over again.. Really upset because I barely got to throw it and was really digging it..

any other MVP to trade? I have a crispy lime yellow amp that I'd let go. Where did you lose it?

H2O(s) is actually LESS DENSE than H2O(l)..."water expands as it freezes," so same mass is being distributed over a greater volume.

mlfw1449_more_you_know.jpg

Nice! and makes sense as ice is lighter than water... so guess its not winter keeping the disc afloat lol.

I'm going with whoever said air was trapped under disc, or, if it was upside down, the disc was acting like a canoe.

If you really want to know, fill your sink up with water and ice cubes so it's the same temperature as the pond, 0 deg C. Put the disc entirely underwater and shake away any bubbles that might be clinging to it. Let it go under the surface of the water and see if it rises.

My money is on it sinking.

Hope you get it back dude.

lol. I was getting ready to strip down to my boxers and go swim after it but my friends convinced me to stop because of hypothermia. The possibility of me dying was too much lol. It was deep out there, if it was half the distance it was I easily would have gone to fetch it.

mane we live like 30 mins apart. i know.

i've been swimmin for my discs all "spring" its worth it.

H2O(s) is actually LESS DENSE than H2O(l)..."water expands as it freezes," so same mass is being distributed over a greater volume.

mlfw1449_more_you_know.jpg

http://sciencewithkids.com/Experiments/Matter-experiments/Hot-and-cold-water-density.html

While ice itself is less dense than warm water, cold water is actually more dense than warm water. Has to do with the reorganization of the water molecules once the actual freezing point is reached. Up until then, it behaves as any normal gas or liquid, and becomes more dense as the temperature falls.

Sorry about your lost disc, OP.

Last edited:
any other MVP to trade? I have a crispy lime yellow amp that I'd let go. Where did you lose it?

I don't trade discs sadly. I lost it at Basset Creek Park.

Hope you get it back dude.

Thank you sir!

mane we live like 30 mins apart. i know.

i've been swimmin for my discs all "spring" its worth it.

I have done crazy things for discs before but this got me haha.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO DESCRIBED WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE DISC FLOATING!!

Latest posts