• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Discs

MVP hasn't really worked for me either, except sometimes I get an absolute laser and don't know what I did.

Then again the super flippy drivers/mids are also inconsistent for me so I probably just suck at this. Best so far actually seems to be "overstable" Innova molds in DX plastic of whatever speed so they're more neutral than the premium brick versions, and will beat to flippy if I need it.

I get that. Once in a dozen throws I've managed to throw the Relay straight and level, but it still doesn't go very far, and like you, I'm not sure that I did differently.

I'm 59 and have 4 Diamonds in my bag after using Sidewinders for 15+ years. My simple advise is throw more Diamonds and try and lite weight Hatchett.

Lightweight Hatchets are great!

OP - I know this is originally about your experience with your MVP discs, and not so much about recommending other discs, but I do suggest you think about narrowing your search to certain manufacturers. Because - as others rightly have pointed out - the flight numbers are (at best) references to other discs made by that manufacturer, and not to discs in general.

I've been through a bunch of brands, and here's some of my experience:

Look for consistency between runs. All discs vary a bit from run-to-run (molding lightweight aerodynamic plastic discs is not an exact science). In my experience with Prodigy, their discs really varied a lot - so it was difficult to find replacements and/or backups once I knew I liked a disc.

Look for availability. I love Mint Mustangs and Lobsters - but I have to stock up, because as a small producer, there can be long gaps between inventories. That was a pretty big problem with Discmania when Innova was their manufacturer, and that's one the reasons I got away from bagging them.

If you have a slower arm, think about break in. Innova Champion plastic is notorious for starting out overstable, and staying that way for a loooong time. I lost patience, and moved on. Other "Champion-like" plastics can be the same. If you haven't already visited this site, it's good reference for comparing plastics:

https://flightcharts.dgputtheads.com/discgolfplastics.html

Speaking of plastic, find some that feels good to you. One of the things I like about MVP is the plastics. I always like Neutron - and it's generally not priced all that premium. That's also why I bag Mint discs - because they're made by MVP (slightly different plastic formulas, but generally very consistent and feel great. The other brand I love is Kastaplast. I bag the Reko and the Berg in various plastics. These aren't the only ones by any means (people love Lat 64's blends). The point is to find something you like

If you put these things together, you'll find yourself gravitating toward a smaller set of manufacturers, and a narrower field of discs to shop - which helps a lot.

And one unrelated plug for MVP - don't forget to consider their Streamline brand. Same plastic. A little less availability because of smaller runs. But they're not overmolded, so you might find less stability in those discs than you find in MVP or Axiom.

Happy shopping/trying/throwing!

Lightweight Hatchets are great!

OP - I know this is originally about your experience with your MVP discs, and not so much about recommending other discs, but I do suggest you think about narrowing your search to certain manufacturers. Because - as others rightly have pointed out - the flight numbers are (at best) references to other discs made by that manufacturer, and not to discs in general.

I've been through a bunch of brands, and here's some of my experience:

Look for consistency between runs. All discs vary a bit from run-to-run (molding lightweight aerodynamic plastic discs is not an exact science). In my experience with Prodigy, their discs really varied a lot - so it was difficult to find replacements and/or backups once I knew I liked a disc.

Look for availability. I love Mint Mustangs and Lobsters - but I have to stock up, because as a small producer, there can be long gaps between inventories. That was a pretty big problem with Discmania when Innova was their manufacturer, and that's one the reasons I got away from bagging them.

If you have a slower arm, think about break in. Innova Champion plastic is notorious for starting out overstable, and staying that way for a loooong time. I lost patience, and moved on. Other "Champion-like" plastics can be the same. If you haven't already visited this site, it's good reference for comparing plastics:

https://flightcharts.dgputtheads.com/discgolfplastics.html

Speaking of plastic, find some that feels good to you. One of the things I like about MVP is the plastics. I always like Neutron - and it's generally not priced all that premium. That's also why I bag Mint discs - because they're made by MVP (slightly different plastic formulas, but generally very consistent and feel great. The other brand I love is Kastaplast. I bag the Reko and the Berg in various plastics. These aren't the only ones by any means (people love Lat 64's blends). The point is to find something you like

If you put these things together, you'll find yourself gravitating toward a smaller set of manufacturers, and a narrower field of discs to shop - which helps a lot.

And one unrelated plug for MVP - don't forget to consider their Streamline brand. Same plastic. A little less availability because of smaller runs. But they're not overmolded, so you might find less stability in those discs than you find in MVP or Axiom.

Happy shopping/trying/throwing!

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed response. I've gotten several recommendations for the Hatchet, but I can't find a lightweight one. I'll keep looking, and order one as soon as I find one. I do like Latitude 64's plastics.

I've gotten several recommendations for the Hatchet, but I can't find a lightweight one.

Holiday shoppers must have scarfed them all up. Seems like they were everywhere a few weeks ago. I only know this because I ordered a couple for my wife as backups to the one she has been throwing.

I did see Discbaron.com has about three of them left in stock.

Holiday shoppers must have scarfed them all up. Seems like they were everywhere a few weeks ago. I only know this because I ordered a couple for my wife as backups to the one she has been throwing.

I did see Discbaron.com has about three of them left in stock.

Disc Golf Center has them, but none are lightweight. Disc Baron has one that is about 158 grams. That might work, but I've got a couple of other similar lightweight discs ordered, and until I throw them a few times I won't know exactly what weight I need to be buying. My Diamond is 160 grams. I might need something closer to 150 grams for higher speed discs.

Disc Golf Center has them, but none are lightweight. Disc Baron has one that is about 158 grams. That might work, but I've got a couple of other similar lightweight discs ordered, and until I throw them a few times I won't know exactly what weight I need to be buying. My Diamond is 160 grams. I might need something closer to 150 grams for higher speed discs.

The two lightweight Hatchets I used to own were 158g, so I don't know if you're gonna find anything that light. Although Trilogy brands are pretty good about making lightweight runs, they're few and far between - so once they're gone, they're gone.

I experimented with less stable 150 class discs for a while (Breakouts, Terns, Sapphires, Jades) and while they gave me some additional distance because I could get them up to glide on an "S" shaped path, they were also too squirrely in any wind. So I found myself using them less and less, and eventually took them out of the bag.

I can generally find things in the 158-160 range. And it's been my experience that every disc is at least 1g heavier than when weighed by the manufacturer. The only reliably accurate ones are that list "scaled weight" (like OTB), or picture the actual disc on the scale so you can see yourself (like Yeet Street, Marshall Street and some others). It's not that big a deal - but if you're really looking for something at 150 or less, every gram counts.

The two lightweight Hatchets I used to own were 158g, so I don't know if you're gonna find anything that light. Although Trilogy brands are pretty good about making lightweight runs, they're few and far between - so once they're gone, they're gone.

I experimented with less stable 150 class discs for a while (Breakouts, Terns, Sapphires, Jades) and while they gave me some additional distance because I could get them up to glide on an "S" shaped path, they were also too squirrely in any wind. So I found myself using them less and less, and eventually took them out of the bag.

I can generally find things in the 158-160 range. And it's been my experience that every disc is at least 1g heavier than when weighed by the manufacturer. The only reliably accurate ones are that list "scaled weight" (like OTB), or picture the actual disc on the scale so you can see yourself (like Yeet Street, Marshall Street and some others). It's not that big a deal - but if you're really looking for something at 150 or less, every gram counts.

Once I try out the Underworld and Sidewinder I've ordered, I'll have a better idea of what weight I'd need in a Hatchet. As I mentioned, my Diamond is 160 grams - I have my own scales - I can get a pretty "S" curve flight out of it when I throw it right.

The Lat64 made discs tend to be less stable than the flight numbers indicate when compared with another company like Innova. If the Diamond was made by Innova it would probably have -4 or maybe even -5 turn. I think you'll find that the Sidewinder will be quite a bit more stable than your Diamond. The Underworld will probably be very similar tho. Huge overlap with the Diamond

MVP hasn't really worked for me either, except sometimes I get an absolute laser and don't know what I did.

You got decent snap with the nose down.... :D

They do throw a little different from other discs and their rating seem a little more stable than other manufacturers. I had the same initial experience but I desperately wanted to get those 1/10 lasers happening 9/10 times :D

The Lat64 made discs tend to be less stable than the flight numbers indicate when compared with another company like Innova. If the Diamond was made by Innova it would probably have -4 or maybe even -5 turn. I think you'll find that the Sidewinder will be quite a bit more stable than your Diamond. The Underworld will probably be very similar tho. Huge overlap with the Diamond

That's why I ordered a 149 gram Sidewinder! I ordered the Underworld at 158 grams.

Sidewinders and Hatchets pair well together since neither Sidewinders nor Roadrunners are as US as their numbers. Sidewinder is one of two molds I think every disc golfer should carry.

Interesting - I threw a Moonshine Hatchet (173g) for the first time last night. Flew very much like an Underworld for me, but perhaps 20-30' longer. It seemed very understable.

Interesting - I threw a Moonshine Hatchet (173g) for the first time last night. Flew very much like an Underworld for me, but perhaps 20-30' longer. It seemed very understable.

The Hatchet and Underworld are very similar. I believe they even share the same top. Between the two I do find the Hatchet a little more predictable.

Received an order from Marshall Street that was mostly MVP.
Noticed that there was engraving near the rim that I don't recall ever seeing before.

"PATENT WWW.MVPDISCSSPORTS.COM/PATENTS"

When did this start showing up?
I think all the drivers that I ordered were Fission.

The Lat 64 Maul is a great disc that fits between the Fuse and Diamond. I add a new one to any order that I place with the Lat 64 factory store. That store also carries some light weight Rivers. Diamond is my second favorite, the Maulis my absolute favorite disc.

Not sure what my problem is with the Fuse, though. I was given a Jonathan Fastborg version for free because they made a minor mistake with my order and wanted to be nice. They're super nice folks. Anyway, that thing just flips over so quickly. Too quickly. For reference, I'm 61 and throw standstill only.

The Lat 64 Maul is a great disc that fits between the Fuse and Diamond. I add a new one to any order that I place with the Lat 64 factory store. That store also carries some light weight Rivers. Diamond is my second favorite, the Maulis my absolute favorite disc.

Not sure what my problem is with the Fuse, though. I was given a Jonathan Fastborg version for free because they made a minor mistake with my order and wanted to be nice. They're super nice folks. Anyway, that thing just flips over so quickly. Too quickly. For reference, I'm 61 and throw standstill only.

I have a Fuse, too, and if I throw it very hard - I am also 61 and throw from a standstill - it will turn right and never come back. I'll put a Maul on my wish list. I have a lightweight River, which used to carry the same flight numbers as the Maul - 7,7,-2,1. They now rate it 7,7,-1,1.

Archer/Arrow gentlemen. I've seen top pros throw a Fuse with great results. Work on your form, standstill or otherwise.

Archer/Arrow gentlemen. I've seen top pros throw a Fuse with great results. Work on your form, standstill or otherwise.

I throw my Fuse at least as much as any other disc I have. I just know not to overpower it, or to throw it on a hyzer angle if I am throwing it harder.

Received an order from Marshall Street that was mostly MVP.
Noticed that there was engraving near the rim that I don't recall ever seeing before.

"PATENT WWW.MVPDISCSSPORTS.COM/PATENTS"

When did this start showing up?
I think all the drivers that I ordered were Fission.

Years ago. Around the same time they put flight numbers on their discs and began molding everything in-house as opposed to having Maple Valley Plastics mold on their behalf.

Latest posts