• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Discs

I mean equally easy to throw and understable for those of us with low arm speed...

Okay. This is going to sound a little rough, but I don't intend it to, so all apologies up front if I fail to word this gently.

Easy to throw and understable and like a Diamond are not necessarily the same thing. If you're maxing out a Diamond at around 250 on a s-curve, that's probably your max distance overall and similar discs by different manufacturers are not going to give you much more than 10-20 feet of distance, if that. In the role of primary driver, the Diamond fills that slot in your bag, and it isn't going to help you to try and fill other slots in your bag with the same thing that a Diamond does. Even if you try to go up a few speeds, to a 10 or 11 speed disc, you're only going to get minimal improvement in distance with understable discs in that range until you've refined your technique a bit.

What many players do, though certainly not all of them, is have several discs of the same mold in their bag in different plastics and in different states of wear. Some are fresher. Some are more beat in. Some are in more understable plastic, some are in stable plastic. That manner of thing. It may be that what your bag needs is something like that.

HOWEVER, before taking that route, let's try to get a little more descriptive on what you actually need. Are you looking for an understable mid-range as opposed to a driver? Then I'd recommend the Axiom Paradox, which is the most understable mid I've ever thrown.

One of the mistakes many beginners make is jamming their bag full of discs that don't really do anything differently from the things they already rely on. I was certainly that way. If the Diamond is already filling that role, I wouldn't be in a rush to try to find other things that fly like a Diamond. I would be asking myself what do I need a disc to do that my current discs aren't doing, and trying to find a disc to make that happen.

Okay. This is going to sound a little rough, but I don't intend it to, so all apologies up front if I fail to word this gently.

Easy to throw and understable and like a Diamond are not necessarily the same thing. If you're maxing out a Diamond at around 250 on a s-curve, that's probably your max distance overall and similar discs by different manufacturers are not going to give you much more than 10-20 feet of distance, if that. In the role of primary driver, the Diamond fills that slot in your bag, and it isn't going to help you to try and fill other slots in your bag with the same thing that a Diamond does. Even if you try to go up a few speeds, to a 10 or 11 speed disc, you're only going to get minimal improvement in distance with understable discs in that range until you've refined your technique a bit.

What many players do, though certainly not all of them, is have several discs of the same mold in their bag in different plastics and in different states of wear. Some are fresher. Some are more beat in. Some are in more understable plastic, some are in stable plastic. That manner of thing. It may be that what your bag needs is something like that.

HOWEVER, before taking that route, let's try to get a little more descriptive on what you actually need. Are you looking for an understable mid-range as opposed to a driver? Then I'd recommend the Axiom Paradox, which is the most understable mid I've ever thrown.

One of the mistakes many beginners make is jamming their bag full of discs that don't really do anything differently from the things they already rely on. I was certainly that way. If the Diamond is already filling that role, I wouldn't be in a rush to try to find other things that fly like a Diamond. I would be asking myself what do I need a disc to do that my current discs aren't doing, and trying to find a disc to make that happen.

No need to apologize. I don't consider what you had to say as harsh. I am not a beginner, having played on and off for the last forty years, but I am not a serious, competitive player. I play for fun and exercise, and always alone. I am frustrated with my lack of consistency, and I guess I'm just looking for more easy to throw discs, both fairway and distance drivers. Thank you for your detailed response.

Hey welcome to the sport! Have fun, don't buy too many discs off the hop, but buy a few of the right ones.

I'm a MVP thrower from the start...I've even got a full bag in case they ever need me from the back back back bench haha. Couple things I've noticed...

You have decent molds in decent weights, keep em, throw em and you will grow into them. I don't think you will find anything more suitable other than a mid right now.

MVP discs in lightweight are awesome absolutey awesome!!! .....because they maintain a usable stability similar to its "full weight" counterpart that you don't necessarily find in a lighter disc. They are good for newcomers and pros because they don't "flip over" like some solo molds

MVP/Axiom discs will punish you for nose up shots and reward you for nose down throws. There's nothing quite like it but there can be a learning curve. Which brings me to:

Yes! MVP discs could conceivably make you better! I'm not saying they're for everyone but my personal testimonial is they made me throw nose down and focus on the outside weight of the disc. My story in short form is: got an ion because everyone here loved them, couldn't throw it worth a damn, it physically hurt on long sessions and I was also throwing a 178 rhyno, got nose down a few times like 1/10 magic awesome long shots and hyzered out on the rest... figured it out eventually and went all in on the brand. So they made me better I no longer throw nose up (as much), individual results may vary.

Diamonds are good, keep throwing it, consider a glidey midrange or a putter for the stash. Something with insane glide and at least a minus -2 for turn. I'd stay away from anything above 6 speed except that diamond for a bit.

Keep throwing!

Last edited:
Hey welcome to the sport! Have fun, don't buy too many discs off the hop, but buy a few of the right ones.

I'm a MVP thrower from the start...I've even got a full bag in case they ever need me from the back back back bench haha. Couple things I've noticed...

You have decent molds in decent weights, keep em, throw em and you will grow into them. I don't think you will find anything more suitable other than a mid right now.

MVP discs in lightweight are awesome absolutey awesome!!! .....because they maintain a usable stability similar to its "full weight" counterpart that you don't necessarily find in a lighter disc. They are good for newcomers and pros.

MVP/Axiom discs will punish you for nose up shots and reward you for nose down throws. There's nothing quite like it but there can be a learning curve. Which brings me to:

Yes! MVP discs could conceivably make you better! I'm not saying they're for everyone but my personal testimonial is they made me throw nose down and focus on the outside weight of the disc. My story in short form is: got an ion because everyone here loved them, couldn't throw it worth a damn, it physically hurt me and I was throwing a 178 rhyno, got nose down a few times like 1/10 magic awesome long shots and hyzered out on the rest... figured it out eventually and went all in on the brand. So they made me better I no longer throw nose up (as much), individual results may vary.

Diamonds are good, keep throwing it, consider a glidey midrange or a putter for the stash. Something with insane glide and at least a minus -2 for turn. I'd stay away from anything above 6 speed except that diamond for a bit.

Keep throwing!

Thank you for the encouragement!

Ha sorry man, I see you're been throwing for a while.

That's what happens when I assume haha.

Magic discs possibly in the MVP lineup: 145g Fission Wave, light uplink (or paradox maybe?), Glitch. If you're having trouble with a signal the wave probably won't work....but it's an insane lightweight bomber for us sub 300' people.

.... But I'd buy a backup diamond if it's working.

Ha sorry man, I see you're been throwing for a while.

That's what happens when I assume haha.

Magic discs possibly in the MVP lineup: 145g Fission Wave, light uplink (or paradox?) Glitch. If you're having trouble with a signal the wave probably won't work....but it's an insane lightweight bomber for us sub 300' people.

.... But I'd buy a backup diamond if it's working.

No problem! I have an Uplink. It's similar to a Fuse that I have. I can throw it straight, but can't get as much distance out of it, of course. I probably will get another Diamond. I've also heard that the Underworld is a good option.

No problem! I have an Uplink. It's similar to a Fuse that I have. I can throw it straight, but can't get as much distance out of it, of course. I probably will get another Diamond. I've also heard that the Underworld is a good option.

I've noticed that Gyro discs like to be thrown hard with alot of spin, and aren't very forgiving of anything less. When I was starting out, my Gyro discs all flew much more OS than expected, similar to what you're experiencing. As my form has improved, so has their flight, though. So I wouldn't say that you've wasted your $$$. Using them for field work to beat them in a bit will also help. Quit heating them up, though! ��

In the meantime, I would look at other discs in Latitude 64's Easy to Use lineup (like your Diamond)...

https://www.latitude64.se/disc-golf-products/golf-discs/easy-to-use/

Others that also flew nicely for me when I was starting out were...

Latitude 64 Pure
Westside Tursas
Westside Underworld
Latitude 64 Jade

Speeds in the single digits (i.e. 9 and below), Turn+Fade < 0, and high glide really help for lower arm speeds.

Last edited:
I've noticed that Gyro discs like to be thrown hard with alot of spin, and aren't very forgiving of anything less. When I was starting out, my Gyro discs all flew much more OS than expected, similar to what you're experiencing. As my form has improved, so has their flight, though. So I wouldn't say that you've wasted your $$$. Using them for field work to beat them in a bit will also help. Quit heating them up, though! ��

In the meantime, I would look at other discs in Latitude 64's Easy to Use lineup (like your Diamond)...

https://www.latitude64.se/disc-golf-products/golf-discs/easy-to-use/

Others that also flew nicely for me when I was starting out were...

Latitude 64 Pure
Westside Tursas
Westside Underworld
Latitude 64 Jade

Speeds in the single digits (i.e. 9 and below), Turn+Fade < 0, and high glide really help for lower arm speeds.

Thanks! An Underworld is on wish list, and I have a Jade...

This truth is worth highlighting.

There's a tendency (especially among newer players) to think, this will be the disc that changes my game. Which can lead to buying a bunch of different discs that really don't do anything significantly different than discs you already have.

Given the proliferation of brands and molds available, this is probably more true today than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

I meant to edit this into my previous post, but wasn't able to save it within 5 minutes.

There's a tendency (especially among newer players) to think, this will be the disc that changes my game. Which can lead to buying a bunch of different discs that really don't do anything significantly different than discs you already have.

Given the proliferation of brands and molds available, this is probably more true today than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

I meant to edit this into my previous post, but wasn't able to save it within 5 minutes.

It's a hobby for me, so yeah, I'm probably guilty of just that. However, I only had about eight discs, and didn't have anything between my speed 5 Fuse and my speed 8 Diamond, so I was looking for speed 6 and/or 7 discs, not that I needed them. Frankly, I could probably play every shot with my Diamond with less frustration, but it wouldn't be as much fun.

I am 66 and throw similar distances to what you have described. I briefly flirted with the Diamond, but it didn't really click for me (I expected a longer Jade, but didn't get a lot of difference...which I took to be an indicator of the limits of my arm speed).

Regarding Uplinks...I bag one as my US mid. It's a dependable 180' or so straight - but the real magic distance comes when I can turn it over a bit and it holds the glide, out past 200'. For now, that happens dependably when I'm throwing into a headwind (the impact of making any disc behave less stable). But I'm really finding I can do it by adding a little anny in calm conditions. It's fun to feel like I'm learning more technique that makes my discs perform better.

Keep throwing mids from home plate. find discs that you can throw flat and straight, then learn to throw them with a little anny. The real distance comes from that anny-to-flat glide section of the flight, before it fades out.

Thanks. Unless I can beat them in, these MVP discs I have are probably only going to usable in a headwind - at least until I get better. I am going to try the Underworld, and perhaps a light Sidewinder. Those have been recommended to me, over and over. We'll see. I tend to throw everything on a slight anny - I'm trying to adjust for that - but you're right. When I do that with the Diamond, I get a nice "S" curve throw of 250 feet or more. I just can't do it consistently.

If you really want to try some stuff outside of the Diamond I can suggest the Discmania active line genius as a very flippy fairway driver and the astronaut as a very flippy high speed driver. I have never thrown the astronaut but have heard that the yellows are the least stable then pink then blue being most stable. The genius was an insta roller for me on medium power throws (my golf distance with a driver is around 480-500'). I would also recommend trying the MVP glitch as an approach disc. That disc alone will teach you clean form and angle control.

If you really want to try some stuff outside of the Diamond I can suggest the Discmania active line genius as a very flippy fairway driver and the astronaut as a very flippy high speed driver. I have never thrown the astronaut but have heard that the yellows are the least stable then pink then blue being most stable. The genius was an insta roller for me on medium power throws (my golf distance with a driver is around 480-500'). I would also recommend trying the MVP glitch as an approach disc. That disc alone will teach you clean form and angle control.

Thank you! I'll probably never quit trying new discs. That's half the fun for me.

I'm 61 (today) with slow-to-focus eyes and poor hand to eye coordination, so I throw from a standstill. I also throw understable, lightweight discs, my favorite being a 160g Diamond (Opto plastic, 8,6,-3,1 ratings). When I get everything right, I can throw that disc about 250 feet, carving a nice "S" curve.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I also bought several MVP overmold discs as a slower player and just don't like them. The overmold is a heavier material in the rim, lightweight center. Has to do with angular momentum aka spinning speed. It's really probably better for faster players. No amount of beat-in will really change that.

If you want to see what's happening with your new overmold discs, it be like this demo with the hollow disc playing the part of the overmold and the solid sphere more akin to typical discs. As you can see, the spin on an MVP overmold disc will be slower but the trade-off is the spin will be maintained for longer -- which doesn't help people throwing 200/300 feet out at all. These discs are exactly for people with power then and not us low-power folk.

Maybe try a Innova Dragon? They have similar numbers and are only available in lightweights because it's supposed to float on water. They're also pretty cheap.

Another really flippy disc I had and LOVED was the Yikun Shu. As a RHBHer, if I wanted to get on right curve or have a forehand style finish, it was my goto. A midrange, the rim feels like a 7 speed driver instead. Finding a lightweight one might be problematic though.

Last edited:

Latest posts