• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Ion?

I am not drinking the ION Kool Aid....maybe I just have not learned the disc but it doesnt have enough float for me to usa as a putter. I am a touch putter though..I would guess that for those who like to bang chains with authority this might be disc to have. Doesn t work for me...I am toying with it as an approach disc but have not figured it out yet

you aren't putting enough spin on it. it requires just enough spin to get to its sweet spot of dead on accurate, glidey goodness

The Ion's noteworthy advancement is the overmold process and how it allows them to manipulate weight distribution in the disc. The disc is made of two different plastics. The overmold plastic (the outside ring) is much denser and heavier than the core plastic. The result is more weight on the outside of the disc. This is magnified by the fact that the Ion mold already has most of its weight distributed on the outside. This makes the disc more gyroscopic and helps it spin longer. The overmold plastic also gets better action off the chains and other objects than regular premium plastic putters get.

There are a lot of other things that people like about the Ion, but those are individual preference. The above is what makes it different. And it does fly farther than almost any other putter I've thrown, and it flies straight at a wide range of speeds.

Thank you, that's what I meant by revolutionary. It's at least very innovative. I grow giddy thinking of a Buzzz-like mid with this kind of mold tech.

(It's not my favorite disc btw)

you aren't putting enough spin on it. it requires just enough spin to get to its sweet spot of dead on accurate, glidey goodness

I agree. And spin doesnt mean you have to really snap it. Just a little and the Ion will go a long ways holding its line.

(BTW. What happened here last night? Woah!)

I have also noticed that the Ion's like more snap/spin than my Wizards did. They seem to have a "sweet-spot" that they get to with the right amount of spin. When they hit that spot, they glide and lock on whatever line you put em on, a very graceful flight.

Man I just got a yellow and black 174 in the mail today. I think it looks sweet and feels very comfy in the hand. The flight plate feel flexible yet fim, and the outer edge feels nice. I cant wait to putt with this thing!

Thank you, that's what I meant by revolutionary. It's at least very innovative. I grow giddy thinking of a Buzzz-like mid with this kind of mold tech.

(It's not my favorite disc btw)

Good thing we've already suggested that to MVP (with a hair of added stability of course). I hope they move up to mids fairly quickly instead of developing a wider range of putters right away (ie: Vibram). They've got a really solid one with the Ion, so I hope they decide to count on that and push up to a mid next. If they could hit Buzzz distance/flight (and if its a hair longer I wouldn't complain) and keep or add a touch of stability I'd be in heaven.

I think even if they made an exact Buzzz clone that would drop dead when hitting trees like soft ions do, they would be successful. People that play tight wooded courses would be insane not to buy them.

I sometimes choose my Ion over my Buzzz for that exact reason. Yea I may get more distance out of my Buzzz, but if I hit a tree with a buzzz, it will kick off randomly. If I hit a tree with an Ion, it drops at that tree like a sack of meat (with a sound that is surprisingly similar.)

Just got one in the mail. It will be hitting trees at Cedarock/Wellspring tomorrow.

Just got one in the mail. It will be hitting trees at Cedarock/Wellspring tomorrow.

Didn't hit too many from what I saw. ;) Man, I wish we would have both hit aces with them on that one hole, I literally would have given you a cheesy, beer-commercial type high five.

Seriously, play a round or two with just the Ion on a pitch and putt or similarly short course, it will open doors.

I've been using the Ions since they came out and love them. I was looking for a replacement as I don't like the newer "R Pro" version of the Omega SS I have used for years. The Ion flies the same, dead straight if thrown flat, and has more glide. The flight is also similar to a Dart for me. I don't drive putters but feel more comfortable with them on 60-80 footers than with any other putter I have tried. The outer ring is super durable. I pounded one into a parking lot near a practice basket and couldn't find where it hit on the disc. They are weighted a bit more on the outside, thus the glide I imagine. I would have to say that the ION ROCKS!

How good are the softs at hitting and staying? Do they stick well on hillside shots or do they like to roll away?

Water Works in KC is my home course and is pretty hilly. I have had one nasty roll away with an Ion but that will happen with any disc at WW. It's called gettin' Water Worked.

My putter philosophy is pick one that feels good and stick with it. All putters work fine if you put em' in the chains. Practice, practice, practice... and then throw some practice putts.

can you bye a medium ion yet?

Not yet. MVP reps do a pretty good job of keeping us informed on the Ion thread over at DGR.

Rollaways have been drastically less so with my Ions than with my S Magic if that tells you anything.

Now that I've gotten about a week of practice with my medium Ions I must say that they are the nicest putter I've ever used. They are so straight on approaches/drives that they make the softs seem touchy. The mediums also drop much straighter. They do not need as much snap to fly straight either, which makes them more accurate for me. For putting they come out of my hand cleaner and show more consistent flight behavior than anything I've thrown. I like popping them up with the slightest bit of hyzer and watching them smoothly drop in the chains. They even seem to get better action off the chains as they do not have the very late low speed fade of the softs...or perhaps its just because they don't need as much spin to fly straight. I'm not really a spin putter, so there are much more natural to me than the softs. Compared to the Voodoos I was using, the medium Ion flies smoother, is a touch faster, and glides a little better. The medium Ion is also much better in the wind for me than either the Voodoo or the soft Ion. This has a lot to do with the cleanliness of my release I'm sure as with the Voodoo/soft Ion I often had a touch of OAT on my putt.

I played 3 rounds today with brotherdave and my new soft Ion. I liked it a lot, but am still not used to the rim. I need to find a good grip and stick with it. I hit a decent approach up a hill, and bounced one off the top of the cage off the tee pad. All in all I think it is a good disc. I like its flight more than the Spike I have been using, but am still more comfortable with the Spike. For anyone that is thinking of getting one the closest thing I can compare it to is my floppy Evolution Voodoo. But as discspeed says it seems to be a little better at everything. But they are close. If I can find a comfortable grip on it I think it will stay in the bag as an approach and driving putter. Not sure I can give up my Wizards for putting though.

When can I get some Mediums?????

Latest posts