• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Ion?

Ions to me felt and flew like Wizards IMO. It's a great disc in Electron. I cannot stand the neutron or proton plastic. Any kind of wetness or sweat, slips....

Yep, Ion is just like a fresh Wizard in flight. You've got to fight through the initial while with Proton/Neutron...use it for putting practice and upshot practice, anything you can for contact with objects. Once it's scuffed up it's ok like any other premium plastic, and it lasts. But I agree when they are new, they are terribly slick.

I really like the Proton Soft. Even that has more grip in winter than a trusty electron. I'm not huge on soft discs....blends are nice. What I like about the Proton soft is the rim is still firm.

I really like the Proton Soft. Even that has more grip in winter than a trusty electron. I'm not huge on soft discs....blends are nice. What I like about the Proton soft is the rim is still firm.

I love soft proton too. I used to putt with a soft p anode, now I use it as an arrow straight thrower and putt with my firm E anode. Wish I could get my mids in soft p....

Had some time to kill before work yesterday so I stopped by a dinky 9 hole and brought 4 E Ions with me.

First hole I played is super short, only 80' or so. Short enough to jump putt it in. Decided I'd throw flicks at it, putt them in, then throw backhands back to the previous basket.

First throw of the day and it sails right in. Only 80' and I've aced this one before, but it was neat. Wish every round started that good.

I was very impressed with some of the recent soft Eclipse Ions. I had previously thrown mainly Plasma, and the soft Eclipse seems to be more neutral and have a very straight fade. Even fairly fresh, they like that higher putter approach line and like finishing very straight. As Suspect said, the plastic is "soft" but the rim feels plenty firm.

Is that just like a standard Proton Soft or like all Eclipse Softs? How run-dependent are these?

Is there a must have plastic for an ION? I have a mid weight plasma I have been putting with and will likely get a max weight for driving. Should I just get another plasma?

Really hate MVP base plastic so just curious if I am missing out with Proton or Proton Soft. Have a Neutron at max weight but I like my plasma better.

Is there a must have plastic for an ION? I have a mid weight plasma I have been putting with and will likely get a max weight for driving. Should I just get another plasma?

Really hate MVP base plastic so just curious if I am missing out with Proton or Proton Soft. Have a Neutron at max weight but I like my plasma better.

I haven't thrown many Ions, but going from Anodes the neutron/proton makes essentially no difference, while Proton Soft I've heard can be more stable...it's been similar enough for me. I just prefer Neutron or Eclipse because they are easier to see on grass...the Eclipse is basically Proton plastic but usually more vibrant in color. Lots of the Proton plastics become very dull once they are on the ground. My Proton Ion is the disc that takes me the longest to find every single time, even though it's a putter and goes straight and not far compared to other disc classes. With my eyes closed I don't think I could identify regular stiffness Proton vs. Neutron in feel and the flight is the same.

If you prefer your Plasma to Neutron because of feel, then stick with Plasma or else feel if you like Proton Soft better. If you like Plasma because of flight then get another Plasma.

slowplastic is always right! Good advice above. I suppose if I had to pick one plastic I'd say Plasma. But...

I'm quickly acquiring too many Ions, and I also hate base plastic so I own some Plasmas, some Eclipse Soft Protons, one Proton, and one Neutron. I think feel is big. I've become a fan of the Eclipse Soft Proton. It feels nice even in hot weather, and I look forward to using them in the winter. I've never been a fan of regular Proton, which has struck me as feeling cheaper than Z/Champ plastic. That may offend some original Ion purists.

As for flight, I'm sure they're somewhat run-dependent, just like any other mold. The newer Eclipse soft proton Ions (I assume newer because I bought them on Marshall Street which seem to turn over inventory quickly) are actually way more neutral than my Plasma Ions. They like to be thrown on higher putter lines with a bit of hyzer before getting that good straight putter finish. Me likey. But the Plasmas are great too; they just have a bit more end fade and will punish you more for nose-up releases.

slowplastic mentioned colors, and both Plasma and Neutron tend to be the brightest, even more so than Eclipse. But all three are fairly bright.

plaz for sure

I have a 171, battle worn proton and a 168 plasma ion. I prefer the trip of the plasma,as well as the brighter color. Flight wise, the difference is negligible.

I also have electron and soft proton anodes. I personally really dig the soft proton plastic too, but I'd prefer plasma.

I feel like James Conrad would be able to throw an Ion 550'. Eclipse Proton Soft is currently my favorite "straighter" Ion.

Dude. I guess I called it? I can't wait to see what Ion Conrad bags and how far it goes. Dear James, may I suggest pairing a Plasma for slightly more overstable, with an Eclipse Proton Soft for slightly understable? This ought to be fun.

Last edited:
Dude. I guess I called it? I can't wait to see what Ion Conrad bags and how far it goes. Dear James, may I suggest pairing a Plasma for slightly more overstable, with an Eclipse Proton Soft for slightly understable? This ought to be fun.

Hmm. The last interview I saw with him I could have sworn he said he was going to be throwing Envy's and maybe the Proxy and would be putting with the Ion. Maybe I should rewatch and make sure I didn't misunderstand what he said.

Hmm. The last interview I saw with him I could have sworn he said he was going to be throwing Envy's and maybe the Proxy and would be putting with the Ion. Maybe I should rewatch and make sure I didn't misunderstand what he said.

It's true. I'm almost as excited at watching him throw an envy ;) but Ions are so cool that I can't imagine he won't give them a chance.

Watching him throw Aviars so well has always made me wonder how well he'd throw an Ion. For me, it's a lot like throwing a KC Pro Aviar as long as you can get past the curve on the inside of the rim. However, his JK/JC Aviars may be a bit shallower than KC? I don't know my other Aviars that well.

Either way, he's gotta be one of the top couple putter throwers in the world. He mentioned in that video that he also likes some mids, but I could imagine him bagging about 10 different MVP/Axiom putters. I don't know why I'm so excited about this...

This thread is not too old, only 7months since last post, so I will post this here.

I have been trying out some of the MVP & Axiom molds, I know I'm way behind the curve, but that's okay by me.

I have recently tried the Ion, Anode & Spin out as putters.

As a putting putter:
Ion is really nice, I'm as accurate with that as I am with anything else, solid from 5ft well out into circle 2.

As a driving putter:
I never understood what people meant on these threads by square fingers, and now I know. I have square fingers for sure. There is no good way for me to grip these discs for a decent drive.

Great for a fan grip, does not work well for me otherwise.

I think I will keep the Ions around but probably download the Anodes & Spins.

Ha!! I pity you square fingered fools! I throw ions all round the course. Also putt and throw anodes too. If the shot is under 240' and not some absurd or ridiculous angle, you can bet I'm likely throwing an Ion.

Latest posts