• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Wave

I left it under a lamp that gets pretty warm and it seems to be going back into place. I think this may do the trick.

Hope it works out. Im guessing resting it flat on some pavement would work too. I was surprised at how hot and floppy it got waiting for me to retrieve it after a drive.

So for those of you comparing it to the Tern, is it as easy to throw as the Tern (especially in a noodle arm sense)?

My 169 Wave is bombing too. The blizzard Katana has been my best distance driver but the Wave is equal or longer almost every time.

Mine is somewhat flippy at my 350 worth of power. I can hyzer Flip it to flat or put some height on it and watch it flip up to flat, ride straight, then turn over into a giant anny.

Now I have to decide on something a little more stable. Light photon or max weight wave?

Y'all are getting me excited. I've a 176 and a 166 Wave on the way, and I really want to see how they stack up to the Lace, which is very similar to the Tern. I've rocked the Lace for a year and a half or more and think it's a great disc, but as my 350' absolute max has evolved into 400' absolute max, it's starting to get squirrelly on me. I still want something in that ball park stability, but MVP's increased predictability has me hopeful that a Wave will be more consistent. Can't wait to try it out this week!

. . . First impressions remind me of a faster insanity really. . . .

I had the same first impression of a 158 Wave. Closer to Insanity than Inertia.

I like the longer Insanity comp . . . Still working on consistently dialing in the Wave, but hit it right and it goes boom.

Yup. I had some long (for me) throws with the Wave, but I have not yet dialed in release angle. Some drives turned more than I wanted, and some drives that I wanted to turn, didn't. Not unexpected for the first time out with a new disc. When I hit it right, the Wave was pretty sweet.

I may try a Wave in the low 160s if I can find one.

I like it much more than the insanity.

I was testing these in some head winds against terns again and man were these pushed around. Surprising. Maybe I'm just more used to terns in the wind.

I got some throws in yesterday with a 175, yeah it's long. Had a couple of on-course throws in the 400 range, and still getting used to it. The N Photon/F Photon/N Wave set up covers a lot of ground.

For those finding it flippy, try a max wt. I was getting some turn from it, into the breeze for sure, but it was less touchy for me than my seasoned up max wt Champ Tern.
#ternkiller.

Got my 153g Wave in the mail today. Looks good, feels good in the hand. Then I took it out (with my new Vector and Tangent) in my "all-MVP" bag for some throwing, and to my shock it is freaky understable!

On the first throw at Hole #2 at Alexander Park in Lawrenceville, Ga, an open, downhill throw, I was shocked to watch the Wave turn over and go wayyyyy right. Went a long way, but wayyyy to the right. I guess my Wheaties really kicked in! Must've wanted me to get some more practice with my Vector and Tangent(!).

So I began putting some serious hyzer-flip on the Wave, much more than I put on my Mamba or Tern. When I hit the sweet spot, the Wave flew long. Got my longest throw ever on the downhill #10, and also crested the steep uphill on #9... which I'd never done before. But on more uphill shots or where I threw too high, it would hyzer over and fade out. Maybe some of that was if a breeze picked up, but the bottom line is that this thing is touchy! For example: on the uphill #18, I wanted some of that turn to the right, but it was uphill... and with the nose up the Wave didn't turn over and actually faded back a good bit. Went a good distance for me, but it's just touchy.

I think that once I work with this thing a lot more, and it beats in a little bit, it'll be a really great long-distance disc for me (maybe my longest disc in the bag). I was thinking the Wave would be my more overstable/stable high-speed driver in the MVP-only bag, and I'd get an Orbital as the understable compliment... I'm rethinking that now, though. I don't know if I got an outlier or the light weight is the issue, but my Wave is understable... good disc, but unexpectedly, shockingly understable.

^^I'm betting it's the light weight making it that flippy. The closest comp I can think of - a Renegade - is super flippy when that light, too.

A Fission Photon still has plenty of stability at low weights. Could be the overstable driver you want for the all MVP bag.

Last edited:
^^I'm betting it's the light weight making it that flippy. The closest comp I can think of - a Renegade - is super flippy when that light, too.

A Fission Photon still has plenty of stability at low weights. Could be the overstable driver you want for the all MVP bag.

I think you're correct that the low weight contributes heavily (pun intended) to the flippiness, but it could be an inconsistency in the disc... I have a 144g Starlite Boss that is freaky understable, while the 149g Champ Blizzard Boss is overstable (yes, the plastics contribute, but I hope y'all understand the point I'm trying to make..)

I also agree about the Photon, but I'm thinking of a Neutron plastic Photon in the 150-class. I'm a big fan of Neutron plastic.

Yeah its designed to be understable. I mentioned longer insanity which i use for rollers so it makes sense the 150s are a little touchy. My max weight is $ not sold on the 166g but makes sense as only disc in my bag that light is a photon and still OS. The 134g was more flippy than the wave IMO had the same dome too vs flat photons.

Whoa, I wasn't comparing the Wave to a Blizz Boss at all.... Please re-examine the specific analogy I was making....

I know what you meant. Talking about production consistency. Between runs of Bosses and a run of Waves. I hear you.

The worst disc I've ever seen was a hot garbage blizz boss I got in a "great" players pack, so 'scuse my sensitivity.

The worst disc I've ever seen was a hot garbage blizz boss I got in a "great" players pack, so scuse my sensitivity.

"Hot garbage" happens. :)

On Infinite Discs I saw a review of one of the MVP discs that said production runs were inconsistent. This is true of other brands as well, so I'm not picking on MVP. But there's no doubt that outliers and hot garbage happen.

Last edited: