• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My 5 Star Courses

2% of my total courses played. That's what I've settled on as my required number of 5 stars-- otherwise I just don't consider anything 5 star because "nothing's perfect"
If you don't consider anything a 5 star, why bother making a list ?

Or, by UDisc logic, if every course is a 5 star course, why bother having ratings?
There's actually only 1.5% of the courses within a 5,000 mile radius that round up to a 5 on Udisc...

I've never given out a 5 before. I'm stingy I guess :\

I've been pretty stingy with my 5's as well.

Back in the day, I used to review everything, even if it wasn't quite finished. Boy did I get (expletive) on for calling Iron Hill "Iron Hell" a month after it was in the ground (although in fairness I drove over two hours to go play it). I did go back a few years later and re-reviewed it, upping it to a 4.

After that I decided to wait until I played every course at least twice before reviewing it. I have a few courses that I need to do reviews for here in south Florida, but my 5's are Maple Hill, Tyler State (the old 27 hole layout; I am hoping to play the new 36 this year); Brakewell (Warwick town Park) (I shouldn't have reviewed that one; it was a one time appearance), and Nockamixon (more than likely RIP). No course I have yet to review is 5 worthy.

I've never given out a 5 before. I'm stingy I guess :\
Understandable, if you follow TimG's instruction (nothing could be improved), but by lumping 5's and 4.5's together, you are not using the full 0-5 scale.

Understandable, if you follow TimG's instruction (nothing could be improved), but by lumping 5's and 4.5's together, you are not using the full 0-5 scale.

True, but for me it's more that a 5 is "The best of the best". I've got a long way to go to be able to make that claim. I've got a lot of the "best" courses played, but mostly in my region. I feel like I'm pretty good at stating why I didn't give out a perfect 5 rating. At least in my recent reviews. I'd say the closest ones to getting a 5 from me would be Harmony Bends, Idlewild and Wilderness.

Other than no 5, I've used the whole scale though. I think I've only given out one 0 rating. I think.

1-23 on my list are really the courses that I thought were the best of the best from the first time I laid eyes on them until now, no questions asked. 24-31 are a very easy "next group" for me but I could easily call them 4.5 if I wanted to reduce my 5 star percentage from 2% to 1.5%. The #32 spot was the only one that I really deliberated on a lot. Lemon Lake Gold is nice but it is definitely in a 3rd tier, in my opinion. These were the other courses that I gave real consideration to placing in that 32nd spot, which round out my top 40:

Keeley Park (McLeansville, North Carolina)
Warwick Park (Warwick, New York)
IDGC - Jim Warner Memorial (Appling, Georgia)
Trey Texas Ranch - Texas Twist (Mount Vernon, Texas)
Hobbs Farm Park (Carrollton, Georgia)
New London Technology Park (Forest, Virginia)
Blue Ribbon Pines (East Bethel, Minnesota)
The Canyons DGC @ Dellwood Park (Lockport, Illinois)

I would also add that the original Highbridge Gold would easily not just be a 5 star but would be in the top 10. And I imagine that once it's back to a well redesigned and organized 18 hole layout it will easily reclaim that positioning. The original front 9 is in the discussion for best 9 anywhere. When I played it, most of the original back 9 had become not great which is also why it was removed shortly thereafter.

If one were to rank courses by where they fit in to all others they played (assuming a reasonable sample size) what should the distribution be?

Sounds like
90 percentile is a 5
80 percntile is 4.5.............isn't what people want. Also no one gives courses a 0.

Would top 5% get a 5?
Next 10% get a 4.5
Next 12.5% get a 4
Next 12.5% get a 3.5
Next 12.5% get a 3
Next 12.5% get a 2.5
Next 10% get a 2
Next 10% get a 1.5
Next 10% get a 1.0
Last 5% get a 0.5?????

^When you've played a 500+ courses, like some of the people in this thread have, you might need to use % breaks like that.

At my sub 200 courses played and about 50 reviewed, I'll usually have an idea for a rating once I've played a course. Then I'll compare that number to the group of courses that I've previously given that rating too and decide if it fits in the same tier. Tiers have shifted a couple of times as I've played more courses. For now, this works, but if I'm lucky enough to bag another 200 I'll need a spreadsheet to keep things straight.

If one were to rank courses by where they fit in to all others they played (assuming a reasonable sample size) what should the distribution be?

Sounds like
90 percentile is a 5
80 percntile is 4.5.............isn't what people want. Also no one gives courses a 0.

Would top 5% get a 5?
Next 10% get a 4.5
Next 12.5% get a 4
Next 12.5% get a 3.5
Next 12.5% get a 3
Next 12.5% get a 2.5
Next 10% get a 2
Next 10% get a 1.5
Next 10% get a 1.0
Last 5% get a 0.5?????

No way 5% of the courses in existence should be 5.0's. Don't try to force fit it into a formula.

Tim describes the ratings as follows
5.0 = Best of the best
4.5 = Phenomenal
4.0 = Excellent
3.5 = Very good
3.0 = Good
2.5 = Decent/Typical
2.0 = Reasonable
1.5 = Passable
1.0 = Poor
0.5 = Bad
0.0 = Abysmal

The words are pretty self explanatory.

No way 5% of the courses in existence should be 5.0's. Don't try to force fit it into a formula.

Tim describes the ratings as follows
5.0 = Best of the best
4.5 = Phenomenal
4.0 = Excellent
3.5 = Very good
3.0 = Good
2.5 = Decent/Typical
2.0 = Reasonable
1.5 = Passable
1.0 = Poor
0.5 = Bad
0.0 = Abysmal

The words are pretty self explanatory.

I agree to an extent. I'm probably the only diamond level reviewer to not give out a 5. I started doing reviews years before I was ever on these boards, so I never seen or read through the (overly) numerous top ranked this, review criteria that, etc. threads. I adhered to the descriptions attached to the number value you'd rate a course. Best of the best? Or best of the phenomenal? Best is a very loose term. Used twice in the same criteria. The same could be said for reasonable (2) and passable (1.5). Who the hell knows. :|

I'm going to keep doing reviews on here the same way I have been. I enjoy doing it actually, and if it helps a few people I did my job. The reviews are what matter. Not the ratings.