• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

my first recorded drive. critique requested.

fireball42

I recorded this Earlier this month. I am throwing a teebird. I would like some feedback on my driving technique. Thank you for your help

For accuracy reaching back that much is fine but for distance another form could be better. Back of the head, heels and back facing the target during the x and plant step will add distance eventually once you gain enough balance and timing to the level that they are at now. Provided there are no medical issues you might want to try to pivot only on the heel when bracing the left leg at the plant step to get the hips twisting. Note that the bracing should be released to allow a full pivot meaning before the rip. I don't know if you planned to throw anhyzer. If not try to plant the final step more to the left. Once you get the hips twisting try to add to that actively and turning the shoulders too.

Hey JR,

I went out to the field with your advice in mind and threw drives for over an hour in the field. I made an effort to take reach back farther and make sure my X-step (my right foot) was turning my body completely backwards.

I noticed two things. I had several several throws turnover on me. this is especially troubling because i never turn over discs accidentally and a good wind was coming from that direction. the second thing i noticed is a few throws i seriously felt some strain in my shoulder joint.

any thoughts?

Health first do you have prior shoulder injuries or have you worked out, made home improvements or do manual labor or something that strains the shoulder already before throwing? Adding power to a throw and not being used to it can easily strain the shoulder alone but i would try to stay as loose as possible muscle wise as late into the throw as possible at least the left pec position initially to make sure you're not strong arming. Did you warm up? If you did and was throwing mellow you might have shoulder issues that you are not aware of yet or you could just be stiff from hunching over a computer sleeping in a twisted position or laying on the throwing shoulder so ergonomics when not throwing matter too. Nothing beats warming up and stretching and starting out a low power for pain prevention. Everyone needs to find out how many throws they can do before aches set in. My record for one day was a little over 1000 drives at full tilt and i've heard people recommend 50. No wonder i was in pain for 5 days... Repetitive stress injury potential right there. I had done a lot of field work conditioning me up before i did that.

It is normal for balance, timing, body part placement=muscle control and sequence of movements to go haywire when reaching back. the subconscious takes over when it detects a chance of falling down and bye bye control. False alerts happen and with practice the conscious mind can make you stay upright after a wild throw that the subconscious thinks is too dangerous. It can take months to learn control and condition the muscles to be able to allow you to be in control. The stronger and more coordinated you are the easier it is to learn reaching back far.

Couple things I see.

1. Disc is nose up. Need to try and get the nose down.
2. You're coming around your body with the disc in an arc instead of a straight line.
3. You appear to be sort of spinning in place. Instead of a throw from a standing position and your momentum carrying you around after the throw.
4. Your x-step seems a little active. Perhaps slowing it down/walking through it will allow you to focus more on your throw and less on coordinating all the body movements.

I'd suggest throwing from a stand still position to reduce the number of motions/actions you need to coordinate. Once you get it down better (nose down, arm close to chest, etc.) then add the x-step.

Latest posts