• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My first round in 5 months

Jabumbo

Par Member
So yesterday I was able to play my first round since some time in August before knee surgery. Today, my whole arm feels completely dead.

Overall it was just nice to get out but my tee shots were much shorter than anticipated and my accuracy was terrible. By the end of the round I got some touch back but still managed to leave lots of putts short.

The course was a shorter rec level joint that I hadn't played before but should have been able to shoot par on. I ended up at +6 with 4 bogies, 1 double and the rest pars.

Anyone else have any come back tips or stories? The hardest thing for me was to hold back on tee shots to not aggravate my knee. It's still not back to full strength but the general mobility is there.

Don't push it. Do low impact things outside of DG to strengthen your injury and work up to healthy. Warm up (not just putting, bring up your heart rate and warm up your muscles) and stretch before your round.

Enjoy and respect the healing process and try to have fun as you get your game back.

Throw westside.

That's all the advice I have.

Yeah just take it easy. The last thing you want is to reaggravate you knee. Now is the time to perhaps work on shots that you may not normally throw. Stand-still shots, fore handed rollers and such. And definitely stretch.

Make sure you use good form and posture. I've missed 6 months due to injuries a couple times, but always came back throwing further.

Throw with your back and shoulders, not with your arm. The arm should not be "dead".

Also, yeah, get back into it slowly and do some good strengh bulid up training for your knee.

No come back stories from football, but I partially tore my left pectoralis major powerlifting several years back, it was extremely hard to hold back, like you said. I think it'd be wise to really really work on finesse and control, smoothness and ease, really hit form and don't worry at all about distance. You have to heal 100% before really pushing it, you're gonna want to get out there and throw far, or push yourself, but you have to remember that knee injury, and you don't want to have to go back in under the knife because of impatience and something you did.

Make sure you use good form and posture.

This!

having had over 5 surgeries on both knees (I've lost count..) The only way I have been able to play at all, has been by revamping my posture completely. I have changed not only my throwing form, but also my posture while sitting and walking. I've come to realize that the reason the pros throw so well only after a few years of practice, is because most possess a naturally athletic stance from the get go.

I also recommend yoga and shoes without a heel-drop. Yoga because it strengthens the core an adds flexibility while still being low impact and "bare foot" shoes because they make it easier to stay on the balls of your feet. The rounded heel also make it easier to pivot on the heel.

I might avoid courses with extreme elevation change. Nothing aggravates my knees more than downhill pulls when I'm hiking. If something feels forced, take a break! There's no shame in that game...

If you're wanting to improve your mechanics and get closer to shooting par then playing your local course might not be the ideal way to go. Perhaps practicing mid-range drives, approaches, and putting would be a low-impact method of improving your game.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress. Welcome back!

Latest posts