• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My new tye die box and first dye

TrippinBill

Eagle Member
tiedye2.jpg

tiedye3.jpg

tiedye4.jpg

That is sweet. Does it add any weight to disc? What type of paint is it? Really awesome

It is dye, and I'm no expert, but I think it doesn't add any weight really. If it does, it would be less than a gram. I used a mixture of Rit dye and Dawn liquid soap to thicken it up so it doesn't run too much.

I have heard of people adding acetone to the dye to make the colors brighter. Can anyone confirm that this works?

Not where I play. So does that mean the colors will show up? I just wasn't sure the lighter colors would show up on a red disc.

if the dye takes very well then it should show. If you were doing a hot water in a pot kind of dye it will come out...with the spin maybe yes maybe no.

as for the acetone...yes but it will make it more runny again. I messed with just dripping and splashing some liquid rit and acetone on discs it worked pretty well.

\/\/

With spin dyes I have always had the disc color affect the final dye color. Think primary colors in art class..........yellow and blue make green.

You should post more pics of the finished dyes. See what you've done, now I'm wanting to dye a disc.

With spin dyes I have always had the disc color affect the final dye color. Think primary colors in art class..........yellow and blue make green.

For the most part I agree, but I have also seen numerous examples of dyeing so deeply that the dye color "overpowers" the plastic color. Dye blue strongly enough on a yellow star disc and you can get blue. It has a tinge of teal to it, but is definitely blue.

Certainly not going to happen with yellow on a red disc, though. It'll show, but as a darker red-orange than the original color. It won't be a nice bright yellow.

You should post more pics of the finished dyes. See what you've done, now I'm wanting to dye a disc.

I will post some finished products a little later.

That looks awesome! Do you have to do one color at a time? I guess so or it would kind of turn brown, right?

I did orange and red at the same time on a yellow star plastic disc and the stayed true to their actual colors.