• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What stuff do yo use for dying?

sgamerp

Thanks, Dad
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I noticed this wasn't a thread from what I could tell, but was interested in what people recommend using. Right now I just have some Pro Chem dyes and some dollar store soap. I've been using my ultimate frisbee to do them in. Do you use pie pans or special plates? What Containers do you use to add dye into? I know clear glue, coco butter lotion and shaving cream are other things people use, am I missing anything else?

For dyes that I drip onto a glue bed: glass 2 oz or 4 oz jars. Glass is important so the acetone you mix with the dye doesn't eat through the container. My jars have lids and my droppers are separate. I found that if the droppers were part of the container, the dropper got clogged.
For lotion dyes, I use condiment bottles (like what people use for ketchup/mustard at restaraunts and picnics). Mine are 8 oz, I've been looking for 4 oz ones.

Dye. Started with iDye Poly, now using ProChem and prefer that.
Lotion: Queen Helena's Cocoa Butter lotion.
Acetone. Just get a container at any place that sells paint. I pour some into a mason jar which makes it easier to use.
I bought a few plant trays (go under pots to collect water) from a dollar store and they work well for me. I took a disc into the store so I could make sure the size was right. Nice part is that if they get too nasty I can throw them away and they only cost me $1.25.

Some people also use Floetrol instead of lotion. I'm going to be trying that soon.

One thing I use that I haven't seen anyone else use....cat litter. Get a fair size plastic bin and some inexpensive clumping cat litter. When you finish with a glue bed, scrape the glue from the disc and the ultimate disc or whatever you use to hold the glue bed, into the cat litter. Let it sit for a few hours and then pull it out and drop it in the trash......leaves very little glue to go down the drain and possibly clog it after time. I end up only washing a very little glue from my dyed disc into the sink.

If you use YouTube....check out Sarg's Happy Discs, The Difference Is Doing It (my favorite), and Redds' Dyes (I think that is the name). I really like The Difference Is Doing it...he can be a bit annoying, but he does great work, and show cases other disc dyers. He also has a website where he gives a lot of good information on dyeing discs. Some of the dyers also have packages you can get from them of dyes and/or containers....some have discount codes for places like Amazon.

Latest posts