• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My quest to improve my casual playing to a better level

g00p

Disc golf driving technique video for May 2013.

I've been working on technique since Feb on and off, and have some improvement, but have plateaued.
Feb I had end of X step completely airborne... I should post just for some laughs. This was a better throw for me but I am definitely not getting a snap, and the disc is not flying straight, it's more a elevated distance throw.

How in the world can someone like nikko not do barely any run up and hit 300 ft plus where when I stand still I get much much less!?! I must definitely be missing that "hit".

I watched a few players play through yesterday and I could literally hear the whoosh of air as the disc left their hand.

Disc: Beast
Distance: 260ft (best throw of the set)
Landed: Landed a little past basket but this is not consistent
Flight path: very high, to the right a little and 60ft+ in height with final heavy fade at end to location of basket.

Won't let me edit. Video's didn't come through.?

Example of Nikko throwing with very little runup, yet long distance

My critique video

Disc: Beast
Distance: 260ft (best throw of the set)
Landed: Landed a little past basket but this is not consistent
Flight path: very high, to the right a little and 60ft+ in height with final heavy fade at end to location of basket.

If your throw is anywhere near 60 feet high that is the first thing you should work on, you should be throwing under 15 feet high(if not lower) at that distance.

The first item that strikes me is your elbow.. your arm is coming across at nearly pec level, but the elbow is barely bent at all. Try bending the elbow more, and bringing the disc across your body tighter (to your chest). Also, grip (and nose angle) sounds like a problem, too, as rocthecourse mentioned.

The first item that strikes me is your elbow.. your arm is coming across at nearly pec level, but the elbow is barely bent at all. Try bending the elbow more, and bringing the disc across your body tighter (to your chest). Also, grip (and nose angle) sounds like a problem, too, as rocthecourse mentioned.

This helped during practice. I focused on a truly straight line, and this ends up allowing much more whip

I think the lack of sleeves is your biggest hindrance to you reaching your full potential...

But on a serious note, I think you could benefit by reaching back on a straighter line. Currently, it seems you are reaching too far around, which causes you to come around, rather than straight through when you throw the disc. Focus on pulling through on a straight line. Good luck!

Last edited:
I think the lack of sleeves is your biggest hindrance to you reaching your full potential...

But on a serious note, I think you could benefit by reaching back on a straighter line. Currently, it seems you are reaching too far around, which causes you to come around, rather than straight through when you throw the disc. Focus on pulling through on a straight line. Good luck!

Great recommendation. I worked on straight line pullback with turning only 90 degrees instead of 180. I hit 300 ft with my Anode putter, so I'd say that's an improvement!

Biggest issue I have to work on is stop strong arming, and focus on straight line on reachback to snap with nose down. Additionally, using the rotation of the hips, torso, and shoulder to primarily drive the arm movement.

Regarding no shirt sleeves... :) I don't do it to look cool, cause I'm a skinny mofo. I do it because I'm in Houston and it is hot as Hades already. Much more comfortable.

So far improvement!

1. Xstep is now just slow and precise, about setting up movement correctly. Will speed up down the road. Feel better than just doing standstill throwing as I'm also refining simplicity of the xstep, less shuffling.
2. Working on planting toes on rear leg to avoid hips opening up immediately, without "springing". Mainly tips from Will Schuster's driving video (very very helpful)
3. Working on actually touching disc to chest like Beato's pec drill before releasing

= Much more distance with less effort. I'm still not gaining a huge distance yet, but I'm seeing less effort for my higher end distance. In fact, birdied 2 holes recently, which is a definite improvement.

Next actions:
1. More torso rotation.
2. Figure out how to hold onto disc longer, as still releasing behind what I see the pros doing. Need more extension before it rips out.
3. Sidearm... I can't do this worth anything. I need to get better at basic approaches with it.

Main two goals for next few months:
1. Consistently able to hit 300 ft without excessive effort. Work on controlled 300 ft instead of going beyond for now.
2. Consistent release point. I still have issues with the release point being straight.

Any tips are welcome. thanks!

It's difficult to assess your timing with the slow motion, but it's clear that you started your pull before you even had your plant foot down. Check out this video of Nikko. He reaches back as he plants his foot and doesn't start the pull until his foot is planted.

Here's some realtime footage.

Last edited:

Latest posts