• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] My search for perfect lazer straight mid-range

46YearOldSlinger

Double Eagle Member
I've been playing a course lately with lots of straight tunnel shots (Middle Creek near Raleigh NC) and have been on a quest to find the perfect midrange for these tunnel shots. I've been using a Leopard which I love but it has just a bit more turn and fade than I would like. I really want something that holds a lazer line and dies out very straight (as little fade as possible). In my quest for my perfect mid-range I've tried out a number of discs some of which are fairly new so I thought I'd share my experiences and let others know how these discs compare with some older staples. I'm also looking for any advice anyone can give me on the disc I'm looking for for my throwing speed/style.

I'm not a very long thrower. I throw my speed 4/5 mid-ranges about 200ft and a pro valkyrie about 260 to give you an idea of my arm speed.

What I'm looking for in this particular disc order of most needed traits.
1. Want to be able to throw on a lazer line with minimal fade with the disc thrown flat.
2. I'd also like to be able to shape gentle turns or hyzers for those shots that aren't straight. Ideally dead flat goes straight, a little hyzer provide a gentle left sweeper, and a little anny would provide a right sweeper that doesn't come back much if at all.
3. Ideally I'd like to keep the disc straight at any speed from full rip down to 50%
4. Not a huge deal but I prefer a shallow rim for better feel.

I realize that's a lot to ask for and perhaps no disc fits all of that 100% but my goals are to get a disc that fits the above as much as possible. I've had a lot of fun buying discs and comparing them lately so I'll share what I've found so far.

1. Leopard - I love my pro Leopard which I know is a fairway driver and not a mid but I've been throwing it some in this role. As I said before it's a great disc but it does swing a little right then a little left - not much but not the lazer I'm looking for.
2. Atlas - This disc is really nice. I can get it to fly dead straight with a very small fade but I have to release it on an anny to get it to do so. Thrown this way it does go on a lazer line at full speed but won't hold the line if powered down much.
3. Foxbat - Wow what an interesting disc.I've never thrown a disc like this. This disc has tons of glide and NO FADE. Seriously you can even throw it high and so it runs out of juice in the sky and it won't fade - crazy. I can make this disc go straight buy I have to release with a bit of hyzer. It goes slow but just keeps floating along with crazy glide. It's actually pretty amazing to watch a disc hang in the air this long and not fade. It's like it's defying physics or something. This one is staying in my bag because it's so unique. A couple of minor nitpicks are that it can be tough to range because it just keeps floating/gliding along and the rim is a little deep for my taste.
4. Buzzz - This one disappointed me the most because I read all of the rave reviews. I do believe this can be an accurate disc but it always fades at the end for me. I can see this a good placement disc with room to work but it has too much fade for me for tight tunnels.
5. XD - This disc seems to get no love on this forum but it's probably my most accurate mid range. It has just a hint of turn and just a hint of fade but it's pretty dang straight. This is my most accurate approach disc. This disc probably fits my description of what I'm looking for the most. I just wish it was a little longer. Can anyone tell me why this accurate disc doesn't get more love?
6. Dart (R-Pro)- Now this is what I'm talking about when i say lazer. Problem is I just can't get used to the feel of it in my hand - its just awkward feeling to me.
7. Nova - Yeah this is a putter and not a midrange but it really is awesome for throwing straight dead straight on a flat release as well as holding hyzer or anny lines. I love it but obviously it's just not long enough for a midrange. It has become my favorite putter though.

That's what I've tried so far. I've been spending a ton of time of these forums and notice that some people are really raving about some of the MVP discs so I ordered four of those yesterday and can't wait to try them out. I actually read someone say they fly too straight which made me chuckle a bit- i hope so.

So I know this was a long one but just wanted to share my experiences in hopes it helps show how some of these discs compare to each other. Please let me know if I'm missing any discs that fit my criteria that I should be trying or any feedback on any of the the discs I've covered or others. I welcome all opinions. Thanks in advance.

My buddy uses an atlas for this. I use a beat up buzzz or a meteor, but meteors get flippy quick. I think the Comet may be a good one for this too.

Nothing is going to go perfectly straight every time. You just need to try all the ones that go fairly straight until you like one and then get a couple and season them to your specifications. You've tried many I would suggest but one that you haven't is a lighter weight lucid truth. Go for a translucent plastic one if you can they seem to be straighter for me and then beat the fade of it. Nothing will fly the same powered down to 50% and certainly not without a lot of seasoning on your part.

I'd try an M4 from prodigy, a Mako/Mako3 from innova, a Comet from Discraft, and/or a Tangent from MVP.

M4 fresh out of the box is straight>understable, but put on a tad bit of hyzer it's a dead straight lazer, great for tunnel shots. The Mako(s) and Comet are very touchy, but once you get used to them they're super reliable, hold-whatever-line-you-put-it-on discs. I'm too inconsistent to make them work for me, but I've seen them used to great effect in the role you're looking for. The tangent, like the M4, is marketed as an understable mid, but in my experience, if you take a tangent and throw it flat at about 75% power, you'll get a perfectly straight flight with little to no fade.

Why does it need to be released flat?

With a slight hyzer release, a Fuse can be exactly what you're looking for. It will flip to flat and stay dead-on through most of it's flight.

On a slight hyzer, a Z Comet will be straight as you could ever want. Or you could season a Wizard for shorter shots. I've got one now that is straight the whole way through, with maybe a 3' fade at the end.

Comet, lighter Z Buzzz, Axis, Mako/Mako3, Beat DX Roc(personal favorite)

Skeeter is pretty straight. A beat in DX Roc is also a nice straight shot in my experience.

I think for his arm speed a meteor would do the trick. And be longer than the fox bat.

Meteors are the farthest midranges I've ever thrown.

Skeeter is pretty straight. A beat in DX Roc is also a nice straight shot in my experience.

straightest mid ever: seasoned roc

I thnk the beat DX Roc is the best, the only bad thing is A. Hard to replace if you don't cycle. B. You have to break it in.

A good way to break in is throw rollers, or sit at a basket and blast the chains from 5 feet away with it.

I'd try an M4 from prodigy, a Mako/Mako3 from innova, a Comet from Discraft, and/or a Tangent from MVP.

I came in here to say Mako, but all of these are fantastic suggestions. M4 is a little on the faster side, and the Comet may have range problems like the Foxbat for you. But the Tangent and Mako are both really good for this kind of straight/no fade shot. I find the Mako to hold an anny slightly better, but to also be a bit more touchy to form flaws.

i agree. use a little hyzer on an understable disc to get dead straight flights. also #3 in your requirements will pretty hard to achieve with a flat throw. more power causes more speed which will cause an understable disc to turnover more quickly. with the hyzer flip all you do is vary the degree of hyzer.

z comet, worn esp buzz, m3, worn dx roc, mako, atlas
these are just a few suggestions, but my personal favorite for a flat release and laser flight is an esp buzz, i have two that have been used lightly for a year or so and thrown on an anny they will hold it to the ground and thrown flat they just go straight unless thrown too high. so i would try to find a used esp buzz if i were u

I am going to throw out my favorite disc for this....discraft Impact. The disc gets no love and isn't very popular but it is the straightest disc I throw.

Latest posts