• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Top 80 favorite courses played (out of 365)

Have you played Flyboy? I may be overlooking it but I don't think I see it on the list.

I was going to on my roadtrip to Florida that I just got back from . . . but I contact Kelly the day he wrote his review of the course and pulled it from the site. I think I was bothering him asking to play the course and it was too soon, even though I know it is still playable with him as a guide. I offered to rent the bed and breakfast so i could play and he never responded to that. I am so disappointed but maybe next year on my way to Florida it will be better.

I got there [R.L.Smith] and that will be moving up the list I am sure but as of right now it is an easy 4 but I imagine it will become a 4.5 course in short order, but there still is some work to be done before I could give it that rating . . . but that is another one I apparently forgot to add to the list.

Ah, there you go. No argument with where you have it now -- I only commented since I didn't see it in your first list. As with all brand spankin' courses, I'm sure it will improve as the tees get done and the course gets beat in a little bit.

I can't believe North Charlotte Regional made the list. was that before or after the massive remodel?

Bracketts is still my favorite course of all I've played. I have played Flyboy as well.:|

trollface.jpg

Great list, but having played both Brackett's Bluff and Flyboy myself, I'd have to give Kelly the slight nod.

slowRoll's Top 10

1. Flyboy Aviation
2. Brackett's Bluff
3. Ashe County Park
4. Renaissance Park Gold
5. Queenstown Gardens
6. Colorodo Mountian College
7. Hornet's Nest
8. Richmond Hill
9. Cedar Hill Park
10. Arizona Snowbowl

Great list, but having played both Brackett's Bluff and Flyboy myself, I'd have to give Kelly the slight nod.

slowRoll's Top 10

1. Flyboy Aviation
2. Brackett's Bluff

3. Ashe County Park
4. Renaissance Park Gold
5. Queenstown Gardens
6. Colorodo Mountian College
7. Hornet's Nest
8. Richmond Hill
9. Cedar Hill Park
10. Arizona Snowbowl

BLASPHEMY!:p:D

As a designer, I would probably produce separate lists based on skill level and couldn't make a master list like this even based on personal enjoyment. It looks like Mike is influenced a little more by landscaping and structures on the course (or lack of) than design which is understandable considering that's what he does.

As a designer, I would probably produce separate lists based on skill level and couldn't make a master list like this even based on personal enjoyment. It looks like Mike is influenced a little more by landscaping and structures on the course (or lack of) than design which is understandable considering that's what he does.

I wouldn't say I am more heavily influenced by landscaping and structures over design otherwise Bryant Lake would be much higher than it is, but I do think that appropriate landscaping can be done to really bring out a courses attributes. I think it is something that the sport will eventually embrace as being a way to "show off" your course. I mean who wants to see a worn out green area from overuse . . . why not elevate the basket with some timbers, level the area, and put in some mulch rather than continuing to let the compaction kill the turf and increase erosion. It may be something that gets more heavily embraced by the Pay to Play courses out there that are actually trying to turn a profit, as opposed to the public and county parks that dominate our sport right now.

I do appreciate design as one of the biggest factors in my enjoyment of a course, maybe that doesn't come out in my reviews because it is so hard to write all that down in my little notebook as I play these courses and travel all over the place, but noting that a course has nice timber walls, and such is a simple jot in the notebook.

I guess I look at it this way, if a course took no thought to put it in, I will not enjoy it. If the designer used the property well including a lot of variety and challenge, I will choose that anyday. And if a designer did these things and added some landscaping etc . . .I will think even higher of the course, so I guess I just feel that landscaping will elevate a course in my list if everythiing else is done well too. Landscaping without actual thought into design could actually be a detriment to my feelings about a course.

I am trying to get an eye for the design process as it is really something I would like to do in this sport. It is hard to see what a designer has seen or not seen on a property without having been there with them from the beginning and I often find myself making notes about what was missed on a property. That may not be fair to a designer because there may have been restrictions that I didn't know about, but as I am getting further and further into the sport and I continue to see countless incredible courses I am learning the things that I think make for great disc golf. Figuring out how to put it all together on a blank canvas (untouched natural land) will be difficult but I look forward to the challenge.

These are just my feelings and philosophies and I certainly do appreciate landscaping since my entire professional career has been either in landscaping or golf course maintenance (18 years). My move into disc golf 3 years ago was shocking to say the least to go from pristine lush tees, fairways and greens with properly pruned trees and shrubs to the more natural feel you get on disc golf courses. Initially I was shocked and the first courses I played actually were a little depressing for me. I said to myself "this is what disc golf courses are like". Then I realized it was free everwhere you go, it didn't have the budgets that we had in the golf course industry, and it was more about using the land available than creating the fun and challenge by disturbing the land (like the golf industry has done for years). I can still appreciate both sports and both design concepts.

Harr
Get up to Highbridge
Get over to Leviathon
Then get down to Flip City
WHAT ARE YOU WATING FOR? You've been everywhere else

I'm suprized to see Armco White on your list. Have you played both courses there? Although the White course is solid, I would recommend the Blue course if you haven't had the chance to try it out...

Dang Mike, not only do you need a MI trip, you need to get down into OH, IN, downstate IL and do some cleanup work in IA, and then maybe head down to Kansas City or St. Louis, (or both). That'll get you over 500 played easily.

Why a top 80 and not just do a top 100? :)

I actually started keeping track of courses with the understanding that going below a 4 disc rating (which to me is 3.75-4.24) was going to be too difficult to differentiate courses, but now I am thinking that maybe the top 50 should be the list, or maybe even only the courses rated 4.5 and above.

Then I realized it reminded me of 80playedin10states, before I realized i missed a handful of courses that were rated highly (I just forgot to put them on the list).

So while I will not go lower than the 3.75 rating, I see no need to remove the courses I have already rated, so if someone wants a top 100 . . . they can help give me some gas money so i can get over to Michigan and my own states mecca of disc golf Highbridge Hills. Please send paypal to [email protected] :)

I take this thread to be a "favorites" list, not a "best courses" list.

My own favorites list varies a bit from my course ratings, and is entirely dependent on my skill level and aesthetic sensibilities.

I don't disagree. I can rate gold level courses high on my gold level course list. But I would likely choose to play any of my top X number of blue level courses over my top rated gold course most any day when I'm playing for enjoyment.

Glad to see that some of the courses I hope to play in FL, AL, TN are on your list. Looks like you need a 2-month Western states road trip, however.

I take this thread to be a "favorites" list, not a "best courses" list.

My own favorites list varies a bit from my course ratings, and is entirely dependent on my skill level and aesthetic sensibilities.

I guess that is the best way to describe this list . . . because my rating system is based completely on the likelihood that I would return if all things were the same, so i guess it is sort of my "favorite" courses. While design influences my desire to return so does landscaping and so do the amenities (although much easier to overlook if everything else is done well and the course is enjoyable.

I find it near impossible to rate courses based only on design so I do it based on my overall experience, while I write reviews for the general public. My blog entries are more about the design features and unique ideas I see on the courses I play because that (the blog) is for me to basically keep a journal of all of my disc golf experiences.

Man . . .now I wonder how many hours I have spent writing about disc golf . . . its staggering to think how into this sport I got and how my mind thinks about the game all the time.

I did mention to my wife (co-owner of our own landscape business) the other day about my thoughts to make disc golf my full time career and she supports me, I just do not know how I am going to accomplish this. Where can I make enough money to basically be involved in disc golf everyday? Any ideas?

Glad to see that some of the courses I hope to play in FL, AL, TN are on your list. Looks like you need a 2-month Western states road trip, however.

Maybe someday . . . I will have to leave the landscape business before I can accomplish that!

I don't disagree. I can rate gold level courses high on my gold level course list. But I would likely choose to play any of my top X number of blue level courses over my top rated gold course most any day when I'm playing for enjoyment.

Now I am going to have to go and make a bunch of different lists (man my DGCR profile page is going to need its own website) . . . the problem is I don't really know how to quantify with any consistency what is a gold, blue, white, or red level courses. I know there are guidelines for design from the PDGA but I am not sure I could emphatically say . . .that course is a blue level course, or a gold level course, probably because I am a low level white level player. If I was better I would probably understand more about that.