• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nate Doss

txmxer

* Ace Member *
I was watching the 2021 DGPT championship and looked up Doss on PDGA

His PDGA membership has been expired since 2018, so no stats available.

So many issues.

A 3x world champ and you can't see his stats? (Same for Climo obviously).

OTOH, kind of surprising Doss isn't current and playing. Does he play any events?

With the significantly larger $ in events, I'm kind of surprised he hasn't thought about competing. I don't know how he would perform, but if I were him, I'd be thinking that I could be high up in the cash finish.

Conclusions/questions:
PDGA not sharing historical stats sucks.
Why isn't Doss current on his membership?
Could Doss be competitive today ?
Does Doss play at all? Competitively?

He doesn't seem tempted by the purses, must be getting paid pretty well—feeds back into the Climo conversation.

KC might not want to be a regular commentator, but if the $ are good for Doss to pass on playing, what about getting Climo involved? Surely the $ are there to get him interested in making an appearance?

Last edited:
Guessing the beer life is busy and fulfilling.

For those who don't know:

https://www.bevelbeer.com/our-story/

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2018...evel-craft-brewing-missing-worlds-whats-next/

From the interview with Val:

How much disc golf do you see in your future once the brewery is up and running?

In short, not much. We do hope to be involved in disc golf as much as possible, but we will be the main employees of the brewery, including our partner, Justin Celmer. Although we will be there full time for a good while, we will always be involved in this sport. It is what made us who we are, it brought us together, it allowed us to travel to breweries around the world, and it allowed us to get the support to open our dream. We do hope to still do a few collaboration brews for 2019, so keep an eye on our social media for that.

Last edited:
Nate and Val definitely could both be very competitive if they were still touring. But only if they had the fire to do so - they left the game at the time to start their own business, and neither of them have much left to prove anyway with 7 world championships between them both.

Nate was my favorite golfer back when he was still active. Nothing flashy, just good course management and great consistency, which is how I have always strived to play the game.

You seem to be under the impression that there is big money in disc golf. Both Climo and Doss are working. Making a living at their chosen profession. Doss, nor Climo could not be competitive today.

Yes, hiding historical stats is silly.

You seem to be under the impression that there is big money in disc golf. Both Climo and Doss are working. Making a living at their chosen profession. Doss, nor Climo could not be competitive today.

What does that have to do with my question? Is that real information or just RU4POR's opinion?

Does this thread mention Kenny at all?

Yes, hiding historical stats is silly.

Agreed. Well, some very lucky few are making decent to big money. But most aren't.

The key thing is that the money is not in the purses. Doss or Climo, even if they cashed, wouldn't be pulling in any sort of steady money, not even as much as a part time minum wage job. Probably not enough to even cover expenses.

They'd need to be valuable enough to a sponsor in order to pull in anything comparable to any other decent opportunity. And that would still just be comparable, not any big draw. Ohn, as successful as she has been, she probably wouldn't be back in tour except that she lost her job when Covid hit.

Most people touring are doing it because they love it, or can't let it go. They love the tour, they love the sport, they love the community. They can't imagine letting go of competing at the highest level.

I'd wager Doss is making more money brewing (and more steadily) than when he was discing in his prime.

He may be. I appreciate the various comments about him running a business/brewery. It implies he's moved on to the next stage in life which is great for him.

Not competing in the pro tour is more understandable to me, but not playing competitively at all (assuming no significant health issues) seems strange to me. Being a competitor and particularly a champion takes tremendous commitment. It is hard to understand how someone like that could just hang it up and never look back. In my experience, being competitive is in the blood and it is hard to let go of.

In motocross, I'd relate it to Bob Hannah. That guy had to get away from the sport totally because it burned inside him. They would occasionally pull him back in for comments, but it was obvious in everything he said that it was painful to him. I see Climo in similar light.

Since Doss is heavily involved via commentary, I don't see him in that love/hate scenario.

What does that have to do with my question? Is that real information or just RU4POR's opinion?

Does this thread mention Kenny at all?

?? You mentioned him 3 times in your first post.

There isn't big money in disc golf. It's 100% dumb that the PDGA hides stats for non-current members.

?? You mentioned him 3 times in your first post.

There isn't big money in disc golf. It's 100% dumb that the PDGA hides stats for non-current members.

Homer DOH!

I was thinking about Climo in terms of presence, but not playing. People would (should) pay appearance $ if he was willing. Goes back to the Hannah analogy. It would be painful to be around the sport and NOT compete, so I get why $ wouldn't lure him back.

Doss OTOH, is involved, but his PDGA membership has been inactive since 2018. Not saying he should pay for membership just because, just wondering why he doesn't play any events. Obviously he has nothing to prove, but the urge to compete is hard to walk away from.

The other aspect is the $ have grown exponentially. Walking away 5 years ago wouldn't be a big deal financially. Seeing people get 8k for a weekends work in 4th place is a bit different.

Doss OTOH, is involved, but his PDGA membership has been inactive since 2018. Not saying he should pay for membership just because, just wondering why he doesn't play any events. Obviously he has nothing to prove, but the urge to compete is hard to walk away from.

The urge to compete might be hard for some to walk away from. If we look at some other sports, and the attitudes of athletes retiring (some athletes, some just hang on forever regardless of skills). A good number of athletes cite "I'm not able to perform at the level I expect to" as the reason for retirement. A lot of top-level athletes seem more willing to stop playing completely than to play at a level they view as below their expectation. And that "expectation" can tend to be "top level world class athlete".

I suspect a good portion of that may even be "I don't have the time to devote to training given my other endeavors, therefore I'm not going to go out and compete without being totally committed to it". He may also get his "fix" of disc golf by his other involvement in the game. Similar to how people who may be really into competing in a sport stop playing and start coaching when their kids get involved.

Nate and Val coincidently timed their retirement from the tour life perfectly, considering their involvement now the DGPT. In the future there will be so many more well known and accomplished players available to do commentary, but they will have a serious leg up on them. They will have a future doing commentary that will allow them to get paid to travel, without the stress on he body and mind that comes with competing at the highest level. Its a more sustainable career path, especially now that their brewery is so well established.

My hope is that someday Doss will run for PDGA BoD and/or head up one of the more important committees, maybe even take over for Brian Graham. His professionalism is second to none, and he is respected across the entire DG community (even if some don't care for his color commentary), and he has skins on the wall (from playing) to back up what he says.

Also, I've never heard of him speaking ill of others, he really doesn't make waves when discussing controversial topics and hasn't yet criticized the president on Twitter from an official PDGA account. I think he's among the best representatives the sport has to offer, so it makes sense that DGPT wants him front and center.

My complete guess, is any former players who want to get re-involved with the game competitively today, would do so if they really wanted to.

FWIW - I'd love to hear Climo behind the mic.
I wonder if he has any interest in doing so.

FWIW - I'd love to hear Climo behind the mic.
I wonder if he has any interest in doing so.

He did some guest commentary on a USDGC broadcast that was excellent IMO. His banter with Hannah McBeth was light and informative and she was just as good when they seemed to just be chatting about the event and discin' in general. It probably helps too that she talks to a 6x every day and wasn't 'intimidated' by Climo.

I also respect any player's choice to avoid being a public figure, and live life on their own terms.

Just because they excelled at something once upon a time, doesn't mean they necessarily wanted to be famous. It just happens to be part of the package with some careers.

Being a public figure isn't necessarily everyone's bowl of rice.

Last edited: