• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nate Doss

I don't know Nate Doss or Ken Climo, though I have met Ken a couple times. My gut tells me that these guys, like Paul, have a "killer instinct" in that when they compete, they only want to win. If they are no longer in physical shape to win regularly, they would rather not play competitively at all. Like Ricky Bobby says, "If you ain't first you're last!"

I've never developed that mindset myself with DG - mainly because I rarely win :)! But I can understand how someone in that position might feel that way.

I don't know Nate Doss or Ken Climo, though I have met Ken a couple times. My gut tells me that these guys, like Paul, have a "killer instinct" in that when they compete, they only want to win. If they are no longer in physical shape to win regularly, they would rather not play competitively at all. Like Ricky Bobby says, "If you ain't first you're last!"

I've never developed that mindset myself with DG - mainly because I rarely win :)! But I can understand how someone in that position might feel that way.

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. Once you've been the very best, it might not interest these guys to just be "good".

I wouldn't know much about that personally.

):

In addition to this perspective about playing, I do have to wonder, as others have pondered, if there is some bad taste in his mouth toward DG in general for whatever reason. He must know his commentary has been well received, and it is likely out there if he desires. But since it appears that the PDGA doesn't even want to gift multiple time world champions with annual dues or other benefits, there must be something. From reading some of his online banter with McBeth, I do detect some animosity, not sure if it is toward Paul directly, or the DG community in whole.

Players winning the year end DGPT championship get more cash for 3 days' work than I bet KC did during any entire year of his career--and that doesn't include disc sponsorships. That could be another issue. So Innova buys out KC's future royalties for a mere $100K, for all future sales, for a 12X champ who has probably helped sell millions of discs, and 2nd tier players today are getting that much in sponsorship money per year.

I mean yeah different eras and all that but I can see the money side of it. I think the best solution, IF it is $ related, might be to go to another disc company (if his deal with Innova even allows) to design some new molds with his name, and get back involved. I think he could make a good career into retirement doing something like that, combined with commentary, clinics, whatever. Many people would pay good money to hear what he would say. If they pay to listen to Stokely, they will pay to listen to the one who always beat Stokely. (No offense Scott!)

If he is stuck because of whatever deal he signed with Innova, maybe the bigwigs there need to lighten up those reins and let the Champ get back involved if he desires. The sport would love to have him.

And all this is conjecture, only met KC twice myself, way back in the 90s, and I know nothing about his current situation. Paul has been a little critical of him as well concerning his facebook posts, so maybe he could extend an olive branch and not continue to talk about him in the 3rd person. Go sit down with him. Make it happen. You can build a course in 3rd world countries, you can go sit and chat with Champ. :)

Sorry--just noticed this is the Nate Doss thread, can a moderator please move to someplace more appropriate?

I have nothing to add to the conversation that hasn't been said, except just to say that I think Nate can compete. I think anybody who disagrees is selling him short, but I can agree to disagree. I'm also the guy who believes Climo and Schultz could compete just fine with McBeth and Ricky if they were 30 instead of 55, so take it for what its worth, an opinion.

If Nate had the fire (that's the key!) to get back in shape and grind it out, I think he could be a regular contender. Nate Doss is 13 days younger than Nate Sexton, who still seems to be doing pretty well for himself as the old man on tour. I think some people forget just how young he is because he came on the scene and won a world title at 20 years old.

I really think he loves Val, loves beer, loves Oregon, and has nothing left to prove. He still loves disc golf, too, he just doesn't have the desire to sweat it out daily for outside chances at titles that don't really mean so much any more.

Have no idea how he's doing lately, but I do know he had a reoccurring throwing shoulder injury, especially during his last season playing that was nagging him for quite some time.

I've got to imagine that brewing beer, slinging drinks at a bar and doing commentary are probably a little bit easier on that shoulder of his.

As a former brewer i can say that it is a physically demanding job and requires alot of shoulder and back mobility. That said he probably has some staff to do the tough work.

I was watching the 2021 DGPT championship and looked up Doss on PDGA

His PDGA membership has been expired since 2018, so no stats available.

So many issues.

A 3x world champ and you can't see his stats? (Same for Climo obviously).

OTOH, kind of surprising Doss isn't current and playing. Does he play any events?

With the significantly larger $ in events, I'm kind of surprised he hasn't thought about competing. I don't know how he would perform, but if I were him, I'd be thinking that I could be high up in the cash finish.

Conclusions/questions:
PDGA not sharing historical stats sucks.
Why isn't Doss current on his membership?
Could Doss be competitive today ?
Does Doss play at all? Competitively?

He doesn't seem tempted by the purses, must be getting paid pretty well—feeds back into the Climo conversation.

KC might not want to be a regular commentator, but if the $ are good for Doss to pass on playing, what about getting Climo involved? Surely the $ are there to get him interested in making an appearance?

I am able to see Climo's stats - his membership expired in 12/21.

I agree though it is lame that PDGA does not show stats for expired members. I am not sure what parameters they use that allow Climo's stats to be visible.

I haven't shot an ATA trap shoot in 10 years and have not been a member in that same time period. However I can still go on to their site and see all my tournament results. It would only legitimize the PDGA as an organization to publish all their tourney results to the general public, IMO.

As far as Doss competing or not competing, or Climo doing commentary, meh. It is their business and I am not really interested. I personally respect Climo for his playing skills, but he lost my respect as a competitor for what he and Patrick Brown did to Stokely a few years back. Calling phantom foot faults to gain a competitive edge. Bush league, so I would not be interested in hearing what he has to say as a commentator.

Last edited:
I have nothing to add to the conversation that hasn't been said, except just to say that I think Nate can compete. I think anybody who disagrees is selling him short, but I can agree to disagree. I'm also the guy who believes Climo and Schultz could compete just fine with McBeth and Ricky if they were 30 instead of 55, so take it for what its worth, an opinion.

If Nate had the fire (that's the key!) to get back in shape and grind it out, I think he could be a regular contender. Nate Doss is 13 days younger than Nate Sexton, who still seems to be doing pretty well for himself as the old man on tour. I think some people forget just how young he is because he came on the scene and won a world title at 20 years old.

I really think he loves Val, loves beer, loves Oregon, and has nothing left to prove. He still loves disc golf, too, he just doesn't have the desire to sweat it out daily for outside chances at titles that don't really mean so much any more.

The same thing can be said for guys like Troy Aikman, Tony Romo, Boomer Esiason. Guys just seem to know when it is time too hang em up and do something else.

I was somewhat annoyed at the timing of Doss's retirement because I has just bought two of his Nate Doss tour fund raiser Buzzzes two months prior and felt somewhat burned. Only reason I bought them was to support his touring, and felt he should have been more transparent so that I could have made a better informed decision.

But its all good. I have since traded them away for better discs so I made out OK in the deal.

Last edited:
I am able to see Climo's stats - his membership expired in 12/21.

Interesting. I think the first time I looked him up circa 2020 when I started playing and his membership was expired and you could not see his stats. I could be wrong since it's been a while. Regardless, you are right that they are visible now even though his membership is once again expired.

But with Doss you get this:

attachment.php

Attachments

• doss.jpg
    doss.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 244
Sometime in the last two years, I think they made it so that you can view Hall of Famers' stats on PDGA. At least, all of the HoF players I click on have visible stats. That's why you can see Climo's and Val's, but not Nate's. Of course, Nate's day for HoF is coming soon I'm sure. :thmbup:

ChrisWoj also pointed out a website a while back where you can view expired info on the bigger names, Statmando.com. Here's Nate's:

https://statmando.com/player/nate-doss/profile

He said he believes there is some sort of partnership with the PDGA that allows them to obtain the info. Doesn't change that it's silly to hide the info on PDGA.com, but at least you can find it if you want to see it.

I think if you're a TD of a sanctioned event you can see the expired stats. Can anyone here clarify? If so it would be easy to allow any current member to look. Maybe reach out to the member elected Board?

This thread reminded me of this Nate Doss in the bag video. This is one of my favorite bag setups, and IMO it is in the same category as the often cited Philo in the bag: simple, clean, a few trusty molds in different stages of wear.

Discraft should do a re release of those domey squishy esp plastic nate doss surges. New players don't know what they are missing.

Just made a visit to Nate's brewery (Bevel Craft) in Bend, OR a couple of weeks ago. Really great brewpub with excellent food trucks and a cool putting course out back. Had the Maple Hill MVP tournament round one going live on all the TV's. Good beer, too. Didn't see Nate, though.

Latest posts