• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Nate Sexton firebird

Internet politcs aside, I was able to cash in almost all my loyalty points and got 2. I had to pay 1.99 plus the stupid 6 bucks shipping but I say I got a pretty good deal.

I havent bought anything from the Factory Store since I stocked up on Brinster Teebirds (and am sure glad I did) so I was pretty happy to see all those loyalty points waiting for me.

Dont really care about swirls because these will be throwers for me.

Lol.

Even discmania pros discribe the fd3 as a firebird.

They MIGHT have one slightly different mold piece (they also may not) But if it's impossible to tell the difference then why does that matter?

They have different specs according to the PDGA approved list. So even if they had the same specs and nose/wing except the FD3 had a slightly wider rim (which isn't the case, they have other differences too), they would be different. Why make the Destroyer when you already have the nearly identical Wraith, b/c you have slight variety. While I admit I am splitting hairs here, I just find it annoying when people say X disc is the exact same as Y disc.

They have different specs according to the PDGA approved list. So even if they had the same specs and nose/wing except the FD3 had a slightly wider rim (which isn't the case, they have other differences too)

Going by PDGA specs is a horrible way to compare discs.

I am saying a side by side. Exact same profile, height, dome, wing. If you have both in front of you it is impossible to show any difference. The sexton and production firebirds have differences but not the sexton and fd3

Going by PDGA specs is a horrible way to compare discs.
Maybe so for saying "this disc will behave like this disc", but I can say that one if definitively a different disc based on specs. Whether those different discs fly in the exact same way is not what I am arguing.

I am saying a side by side. Exact same profile, height, dome, wing. If you have both in front of you it is impossible to show any difference. The sexton and production firebirds have differences but not the sexton and fd3
This is totally different can of worms. If this is the case, then I stand corrected. It seems silly that Innova would do this, but perhaps it is not beyond them. I still have my doubts, but am certainly open to the possibility that I am wrong (it has happened on occasion, just never on the internet). ;)

Last edited:
Maybe so for saying "this disc will behave like this disc", but I can say that one if definitively a different disc based on specs. Whether those different discs fly in the exact same way is not what I am arguing.

I'm saying the specs are frequently innacurate.

I don't know if it might just be me, but the very first thing I noticed about the fd3 was how shallow it felt. I actually like how the tern is a bit more shallow, probably because of its wider rim...makes it easier to grip. I didn't care for that feel in the fd3 though. The 2 I threw didn't fade like firebirds either, just just slowed down and kind of dumped.

Again, if this is the case, I apologize. Why would the PDGA even bother if they aren't going to at least be accurate? Is it just a way to seem legitimate and they don't really care?

But back to the topic at hand. I will probably try a Sexton when I get the chance, but I am not paying anywhere near the markup prices when I have enough Firebirds already.

That's true but they are somewhat close. Heck different plastics Champ vs Star vs Pro vs DX all will have different specs too and different shrink rates and even within certain runs there are variations So why even measure at all? At least it's something to go by. We also don't know what type of plastic was measured.

OOP sextons

I just bought an oop sexton glow firebird and it flies like a brand new 12x. I haven't thrown the new ones that just came out but as a firebird fan I enjoy the OOP glow sexton.

On a different note.. Can someone tell me how to start a feed on here?

Whats the best way to buy one of these? Are they ever in shops or mostly online? And where online?

^good bump.

So I read in the "all things FB" thread that the '17s are like the '15s. I would be so happy if that was true because my '15 is my favorite FB. Anyone else that can back up that claim?

Also, just out of curiosity, why were the '16s not well received?

With all the crazy hype, and difficulty getting a Sexton right now, I'm curious if anyone has any updated thoughts on the Sexton Firebird vs FD3 comparison started in this thread. Sounds like they looked to be nearly identical? I'd love to hear from anyone who has thrown both. I dont care about the stamp and just want a thrower and would be happy with an FD3 if it performed the same.