• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NEED A PLACE TO VENT?

45 degrees here in Minnesota today, and I have been sick since Monday!!! :mad: Haven't been out all week, and I am starting to get the shakes!!!:eek:

We have a "league" now for our disc golf club that meets every Saturday morning.."Club Morningwood". Since the beginning of the year, our scores have been talleyed up and one of the members has done a spread sheet and is working on a handicap system, which I thought would be pretty cool. Since we have a wide range of players from advanced to recreational, we thought it would be interesting to play the short tees the last Saturday of the month and factor in the handicap before giving out bag tags to try and help the higher # tags get a lower #. Well since the beginning of the year I've managed to earn the #1 tag, and hold it. I was excited about playing the short tees as my short game is my strong suit. My personal best before was 10 under. Well I beat it Yesterday, and shot -11. NO bogies at all, and 7 birdies, so I shot a 43. When we got done and back to our spot where we trade out tags, everyone said there's no way with handicaps that I'd lose the tag.....WRONG. We had to add again, but yeah, my friend had shot a 48, but factoring in his handicap, he barely had me. I was, ummm....needless to say a bit disappointed. Would have been a first, no one in the club has held the #1 tag a full month, as the competition is pretty close between about 6 of us, any one of us could turn it on at any point and take it, and often times it comes down to a stroke seperating us. If there is a tie, the lower # tag keeps it....say #5 ties #2...then #2 keeps the tag, and now #5 gets #3. I can't be too upset, because I did agree on the handicap, and I did want some of the other guys to get the lower tags for a week, but.....shooting a group record, winning straight up by 5 strokes, and STILL not keeping the #1 tag....that SUX!
Whew...ok feel better now I've vented!....

We have a "league" now for our disc golf club that meets every Saturday morning.."Club Morningwood". Since the beginning of the year, our scores have been talleyed up and one of the members has done a spread sheet and is working on a handicap system, which I thought would be pretty cool. Since we have a wide range of players from advanced to recreational, we thought it would be interesting to play the short tees the last Saturday of the month and factor in the handicap before giving out bag tags to try and help the higher # tags get a lower #. Well since the beginning of the year I've managed to earn the #1 tag, and hold it. I was excited about playing the short tees as my short game is my strong suit. My personal best before was 10 under. Well I beat it Yesterday, and shot -11. NO bogies at all, and 7 birdies, so I shot a 43. When we got done and back to our spot where we trade out tags, everyone said there's no way with handicaps that I'd lose the tag.....WRONG. We had to add again, but yeah, my friend had shot a 48, but factoring in his handicap, he barely had me. I was, ummm....needless to say a bit disappointed. Would have been a first, no one in the club has held the #1 tag a full month, as the competition is pretty close between about 6 of us, any one of us could turn it on at any point and take it, and often times it comes down to a stroke seperating us. If there is a tie, the lower # tag keeps it....say #5 ties #2...then #2 keeps the tag, and now #5 gets #3. I can't be too upset, because I did agree on the handicap, and I did want some of the other guys to get the lower tags for a week, but.....shooting a group record, winning straight up by 5 strokes, and STILL not keeping the #1 tag....that SUX!
Whew...ok feel better now I've vented!....

That's what I started the trhread for. The same thing would happen to me at the Bowling Alley. The good thing about handicap is that players of different skill levels can play together. If you guys have a wide range, you might want to try weighting the handicap system. In bowling, where the scores can range greater, we used a pretty fair 80% of handicap. eg. player 1 has an average of 150, player 2 has an average of 100. difference is 50. so player 2 gets 80% of 50 or 40 pins. the thought being if both players get their avg than player 1 would win 150 to 140, and its a lot harder to get 150 than it is to get 100. (I bowled duckpin for 20 years, and the scores are lower than normal 10 pin) You guys might want to try 90% or even 95%. Then if you shoot a really good game, the other player would have to shoot even better. Just a thought, but there is nothing better than striaght-up, cut-throat, no handicap games.

Yes the weighted handicap is best because it takes away some of the volatility of the higher handicaps. For instance a 1 handicap will be very consistent and shoot somewhere between -3 and +3 but a 25 handicap will probably have a range of +20 to +30. That means that they can more often shoot better than their handicap and much lower (or higher) but being able to have a wider range makes winning easier. A 90% handicap is what we use in my golf tourneys and it does a pretty good job. What that would mean is that the 25 handicap gets 22 strokes, and the 1 handicap will still get one stroke. So in essence the 25 handicap loses three strokes but the lower 1 handicap stays the same. That equalizes the volatility.

I gotta vent. The weather has really warmed up here and I've got out to throw 70-80 holes this week. Hit my first basket of the year on Friday, played the last 14 holes of 30 yesterday even par and today the sun is shinning and its gonna hit 40 degrees. I'm dreaming of disc golfin and gonna play 36 today...it'll be great...the course will be empty with Super Bowl Parties going on and I'll be a couple rounds closer to last seasons form. And that season, my first, began in June. My gal has to work and there's no grief about golfing on Sunday.....its gonna be a great day. I'm pumped.

10:00 AM the gal leaves for work....almost....her car won't start and she needs to borrow mine. Crap.

i played in a doubles tourny this past weekend...pretty fun stuff but i shot an 8 down pro par (what we call playin the course as all 3's) at my local course which is a 14 down if you count the strokes with what is posted on the signs (3's and 4's) and when all the groups got together we had finished our 18, currently 2nd place to a group who shot 9 down, and we watched the other group who had 8 down sink a 40 foot birdie on 18 to knock me out of the cash prizes.....i did win a brand new ESP force for CTP though :)

Is there a single white Republican male in the house or the senate who has ever worked at a real job? I think not. Idiots!

That's mine for today.

Z

Latest posts