• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Need a torque-bearing FH disc that finishes straight

I don't have a specific recommendation for the OP, but just want to say you should absolutely NOT do what bnrstnkr's post above suggests. It is horrible advice.

I know nothing about the Sting mold, and very little about Discraft's CryZtal plastic. Perhaps it is a fantastic disc. But I highly doubt it is unique (because almost no molds are), and there is absolutely no reason why anyone should be buying a single run disc for the OP's situation. That is a recipe for heartache when the disc is lost or beats in, and then you're right back here looking for a replacement. Limited run discs can serve a purpose. Doing a run in a more stable plastic is a nice way of allowing players to add a stable bookend to a cycle of an already beloved mold. But to recommend an expensive disc that isn't going to be replaceable, when there are likely a dozen other options instead? Sheesh. Worst internet advice I've read today.

Yeah, I'm still wondering what the answer is to this riddle. I liked the response of a beat-in Kaxe. First and foremost it has to be a sturdy OS disc.

Wasp is probably great too, that's my advice if someone comes along afterward. It's not for me though.

I'd love it if my Hex could take the FH juice. Maybe I'll improve my touch, but at this point it would be asking for a bad score on that hole.

That's why I throw the disc I do, I am about 99% sure to hit the gap (great feel, good form with the disc), and 90% sure it will ride on plane down the tunnel and not go left or right. It's just the awkward finish I'd like to replace, and that's more of a driver vs. putter/mid kind of thing.

So, a stable mid that doesn't dump like an OS disc. Actually, the midrange version of an Envy would be great. An Envy is close to being great. That Bullfrog idea is pretty close to being on point. The 'beat in Kaxe' theory is suspect in that the Kaxe has an OS driver type finish if there's any height under it at all. I'd like a subdued fade at the end.

Yeah for that shot I'd be going FH envy or a stable domey Comet 176-180g Z... either would fade in a controlled way... though really for me I'd go BH 174-176 comet z or esp but I'm a Bh guy if I don't want fade.

Takes some touch to FH a comet but that would be a solid bet, if you don't have one you should try one. Definitely for BH. See multiple threads* haha.

Yeah for that shot I'd be going FH envy or a stable domey Comet 176-180g Z... either would fade in a controlled way... though really for me I'd go BH 174-176 comet z or esp but I'm a Bh guy if I don't want fade.

Takes some touch to FH a comet but that would be a solid bet, if you don't have one you should try one. Definitely for BH. See multiple threads* haha.

I just got a Tursas in a Westside box. It will take some practice, but I'll try.

being a fh dominant player heres what i use for fh straight laser shots
i find the berg to be lazer straight to finish if you throw it like you mean it, and thats about 200ft for my arm
zone does similar out to 250 once its beat in a bit
quake same to 300

those are my fh discs that can take torque while still being slower speeds
power down a bit and they gain some fade at the end
power down a lot and they are utility style fade

i love the kaxe as a fh hyzer flip disc, but its pretty flippy if you really put power into it and not nearly as torque resistant as those other 3

just picked up a buzz os that i want to compare to the quake, hoping its a bit more os and flies as far but keeps some fade at finish and can fight out of anny for flex lines better

quake is an incredible fh disc and im using it more and more as i gain trust in it, its replacing many of my 9/10 spd off the tee drives with more control in placement, highly recommend fh players give it a try

every fh player should have a berg, throw it hard and it can take a lot more power than you think, it wont turn over and roll like a normal putter will, such a versatile disc, i think at least a half dozen friends have bought them after trying mine

im also really liking the kasta lots as a control fairway driver that has some turn but holds up well to being torqued on as a fh player, its a lot more controllable than the tl3 i previously used in this slot and a better fh disc if you can find a flat topped one imo

As a LHFH player I would hit that shot with my Felon that I have beat the fade out of... It still fades a some powered down and take my chances with the skip. Maybe a powered down Roadrunner - anything I do here is powered way down to hit the gap and opposite of what you need.

Hitting the gap line LHBH may end up to be a beat Buzz or QJLS...
But my first attempt is likely my fairly neutral (beat) Z-Cyclone that I use more as a mid-hybrid than a fairway. It has a bit of the characteristics you desired in that it has a dumpy fade and is not much of a skipper, but starts off like the fairway driver it is supposed to be.

Not sure how that would feel with a FH grip but for the shot you show it is how I would approach the tunnel initially in my bag.

Looking forward to playing it again sometime. I'd be really curious to see how my Tursas does on a powered down slight flip. The finish would be perfect, just not sure about the left-right play as it goes down the tunnel.

Looking forward to playing it again sometime. I'd be really curious to see how my Tursas does on a powered down slight flip. The finish would be perfect, just not sure about the left-right play as it goes down the tunnel.

So out of curiosity... is your Hex filling this role now?

As a LHFH player I would hit that shot with my Felon that I have beat the fade out of...

Stop the presses. You beat the fade out of a Felon?!? How long has that disc been in your bag? I've thrown my least stable Felon for three years; while it now has quite a bit of turn, it still has nearly all of its fade. For me it's a mold that loses HSS but maintains LSS as it ages.

So out of curiosity... is your Hex filling this role now?

Short answer - no. Probably.

This hole 4 at Ponderosa is the extreme case and I rarely get to play it. It is rare because the gap is *so* narrow that it demands a certain putting-like focus off the tee pad. It's a standstill flick that needs to split the gap and be flat thereafter, a gentle finish is gravy.

So I'd have to play that hole again, hopefully a practice round where I can do science.

My gut feel is that I'm throwing a Tursas on a FH hyzerflip or the same disc I threw way back then--a DD2 (which has 100% overlap with the Boatman that came in my Dynamic Discs mystery box).

I have been throwing my Hex much more on FH shots though, and much more in general, so it would be in the mix. It's also such a doggone straight flier that I'd think it would have the best shape--either it or the Tursas.

My problem with Hex FH, and even BH, is that I have to get used to throwing it more at ~70% power, just nice and easy. Still perfecting that touch, especially FH.

However!

I realized that I have been throwing my Hex on a FH tight-gap line at hole 5 on Beaver, which is a very similar demand.

How has your FH game been with your Hex?

However!

I realized that I have been throwing my Hex on a FH tight-gap line at hole 5 on Beaver, which is a very similar demand.

How has your FH game been with your Hex?

Outstanding!!! It's the only reason it has crawled into my bag. I haven't played competition with it (busy season) but when I grab discs to play at home I have been working it every night. But (I have a weakish fh) it really goes straight with minimal effort and a gentle hookup, I'm trying to beat that out but it's the reason I can FH it with extreme confidence.

It's gap filling between relays and envy's... the comet is good but it's not as FH resistant, like I can do it but it's more of an anhyzer shot/arc or a hyzer flip kinda deal to straight.

The Hex is right in my wheelhouse a good flat snap and I don't worry about it wandering off of straight. Good margin of error on a flat throw, the small hookup is icing on the cake. Very similar to my latest experience with a fresh soft 174 electron Envy. I actually banged back to back cubby aces the other night Envy/hex after I dropped the comet straight under my hanging tonal.

Challenging holes require execution, not some magic disc.

Magic disc! Magic disc! Haha, honestly it's tough for a new disc to squeeze into my bag, very tight gaps and very small bag. Just the right disc at the right time for my ever-developing FH. I can do it with something else but I did Comet/tangent for years and it's nice to have the extra glide over the Tangent. I can do tangent stuff with an ohm or soft e envy so I shelved them a while back. One disc though? Tangents are so damn smooth, but not mid distance

Last edited:
I'm working on it, boss!

I did throw some tight FH tunnels tonight, lost my R2 spin (on a BH), hex did alright but my beat plasma envy got thru more times today, very soft set downs. Maybe a soft heavy electron envy is the answer?

I did throw some tight FH tunnels tonight, lost my R2 spin (on a BH), hex did alright but my beat plasma envy got thru more times today, very soft set downs. Maybe a soft heavy electron envy is the answer?

Yeah, I'd love to try one of those. Right now I've got 2x Eclipse at ~175g and one firm electron at 168. TBH I bet my Ohm would outperform all of these out the gate, I just don't want to be a disc slut.

Yeah, I'd love to try one of those. Right now I've got 2x Eclipse at ~175g and one firm electron at 168. TBH I bet my Ohm would outperform all of these out the gate, I just don't want to be a disc slut.

Ha yeah the ohm would probably work... you are a disc slut, just admit it and move on... slim down the bag "next month""

Ha yeah the ohm would probably work... you are a disc slut, just admit it and move on... slim down the bag "next month""

Envy and I are getting married. Actually we already had a Justice of the Peace proceeding. But the big ceremony is planned for around Labor Day. We're so excited!

And now here you are, telling me that Ohm wants to hook up one last time.

Shame on you, TAE!

!

And now here you are, telling me that Ohm wants to hook up one last time.

Shame on you, TAE!

Hey I suggested Envy the first time haha, the ohms your fault! But man you have a big gap between a light electron and a heavy glow 2.0. The ohm actually sits "right" there.

The 168 ohm and I had a long love affair, it's that Anglo yellow haha day glow yellow that's gone from being an awesome thrill to a dull already gotter all done kinda yellow. I got that soft 174 cosmic electron envy and it's got fresh paint on it. And it's soft and sexy and new.