• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need advice for for my first tournament.

gcanter2376

Eagle Member
Ok so I am playing in my first tournament tommorrow. What are some things I should know as far courteousness goes. I dont want to offend anybody or look like a complete noob out there.

I would follow the proven Mike Damone "five-point plan"

One) You never let on how much you like a girl. "Oh, Debbie. Hi."
Two) You always call the shots. "Kiss me. You won't regret it."
Three) Act like wherever you are, that's the place to be. "Isn't this great?"
Four) When ordering food, you find out what she wants, then order for the both of you. It's a classy move. "Now, the lady will have the linguini and white clam sauce, and a Coke with no ice."
Five) Now this is the most important. When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.

I would follow the proven Mike Damone "five-point plan"

One) You never let on how much you like a girl. "Oh, Debbie. Hi."
Two) You always call the shots. "Kiss me. You won't regret it."
Three) Act like wherever you are, that's the place to be. "Isn't this great?"
Four) When ordering food, you find out what she wants, then order for the both of you. It's a classy move. "Now, the lady will have the linguini and white clam sauce, and a Coke with no ice."
Five) Now this is the most important. When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.

:hfive:

Sweep the leg.

johnny-lawrence.jpg

-dont talk while people are putting, stand behind them while they drive or putt, keep your cell phone off, keep you vulgarity to a minimum, dont foot fault like a bitch, dont try to play better then you can, dont get upset if you have a bad hole or two or else you will play like **** the rest of the round, and last have fun!!!! Thats what it is all about.

It's probably a little late to start learning the rules the night before a tournament but I would not be too concerned as long as you're playing rec. Just, as soon as you get to your assigned hole, make sure you let everyone know up front that it is your first tournament and they will be flexible with you as long as you're not blatently cheating.

a few questions

A few questions
Do you have to use a frisbee marker?
Is it frowned upon if you run off the teepad after you release disc?
Do you keep your own score or does someone else from your group do it?
Should I leave my ipod at home?
Does the basket have to be "cleared" before the next person putts? (heard this somewhere)
Does your disc have to be COMPLETELY out of bounds or in the water to get a penalty stroke?

Thats all I cxan think of for now.

Tournament

I dont think it will be to strict of a tournament. The husband of a friend is having it as a fundraiser for the kids on his high school tennis team to make money. Most of his players will play in it I'm sure and most of them have less experience than me playing.

A few questions
Do you have to use a frisbee marker?
Is it frowned upon if you run off the teepad after you release disc?
Do you keep your own score or does someone else from your group do it?
Should I leave my ipod at home?
Does the basket have to be "cleared" before the next person putts? (heard this somewhere)
Does your disc have to be COMPLETELY out of bounds or in the water to get a penalty stroke?

Thats all I cxan think of for now.

You should use a mini if you have one.

You can do just about anything you want after you let go of the disc, provided you let go of it while you are still in the teebox.

Scoring usually is passed around the group, meaning everyone takes a turn.

The basket should be cleard before the next putt unless someone tells you not to.

If your disc is touching the OB line at all, it is in. Water-wise, usually it has to be completely surrounded to be OB.

Good luck, and HAVE FUN!

If your disc is touching the OB line at all, it is in.

Not true, if your disc is only touching the OB line, and no part of it past it and "in play" it is out of bounds. You need to have some small amount actually in bounds, the line itself isn't enough.

Arent they changing the rule about the OB lie though, to if any part of the disc is in OB then the shot is considered OB. I dont know for sure, but I thought I hard this somewhere recently. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No, you guys are wrong about the ob thing.
The rule was changed from the actual line being in to the actual line being out.
It was changed with the thought of fence posts and such- players would drive ob, into private property but if the disc was touching the fence, they could call it in. That's why it was changed.

In closing, if any part of the disc is in, it's in.but yes, the line itself doesn't count as in.

Op, don't stress, just let everyone know it's you first time. You'll be suprised that most won't know or follow all the rules we discuss here.

Basics would be;
never be infront of someone throwing
never talk while someone is throwing
you don't have to use a mini, but if you don't, you can't flip the disc forward- you just play it how it lays.
I'd leave the iPod at home- tourneys should be social

how do you guys feel about people walking around while you're throwing? personally, i don't care if you're walking, just don't talk. but some dudes FLIP out if you break a twig.

Latest posts