• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need advice on more distance

MaineDisc

I've been playing for about a year now and absolutely love the game. I'm 42 and not in the best of shape but this game gets me out moving and having fun. Ive been watching youtube and practicing and feel my form is pretty good. I can consistently throw my eagle, leopard and tee bird 200' relatively straight. I'd like to get out to 250-300. I've tried a boss and Nuke SS and can get the same 200 but with a big slice. Is there a disc that will get me a little more distance without a giant fade? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

You don't need to buy a magic disc (news flash, they don't exist). You need to work on your throwing form.

this game gets me out moving and having fun. Is there a disc that will get me a little more distance without a giant fade? Any recommendations?

I would recommend you stay away from the super fast discs like your Boss and Nuke SS. Based on the distance your getting with your fairway drivers I would say that a faster disc is not the answer. I would stick with fairway drivers but try them out in softer plastic or even lighter weights. I think a Pro Leopard in the upper 160's sounds like it would fit your game.

Just because a disc is faster, doesn't mean it will go farther. Took me a few years of playing to figure that out.

Get into the form and analysis section of the forums. Improving form and learning to throw will do much much more than new discs, and more to the point until your form improves you really won't have a need for many different discs as you won't get much different out of them.

"You don't need to buy a magic disc (news flash, they don't exist). You need to work on your throwing form."

Well said..

I've been playing for about a year now and absolutely love the game. I'm 42 and not in the best of shape but this game gets me out moving and having fun. Ive been watching youtube and practicing and feel my form is pretty good. I can consistently throw my eagle, leopard and tee bird 200' relatively straight. I'd like to get out to 250-300. I've tried a boss and Nuke SS and can get the same 200 but with a big slice. Is there a disc that will get me a little more distance without a giant fade? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Im coming up on 2 years playing and with all of the advice available I'll make a big assumption and offer up this:

SLOW DOWN

Slow everything down, and then slow down some more. Once you see that you can still easily throw a putter as far as that leopard without all of that excess energy a lot of things will click and make much more sense.

I recently went back to throwing only putter and mids for a few weeks, it slowed me down, smoothed me out a bit, and Ive gained a good 60 feet on my best drives with a driver. All I did was slow down. Im in that 275-310 range myself.

While it's absolutely true that there is no magic disc for distance there are some discs that will give you some more distance and less fade at your current distance. A few examples are the Maul, River, Diamond, and Hatchet. These discs have minimal fade even at shorter distances.

Post up some videos of you throwing in the form help section and lets see what you're working with. That's one of the best ways to get help on form. I wouldn't buy any more discs, but you probably will, every new player does it looking for that perfect disc. I did the same thing. Your teebird may be a bit over stable, but that leopard should be pretty straight and sweet for you if your form isn't too bad off.

SLOW DOWN

Slow everything down, and then slow down some more. Once you see that you can still easily throw a putter as far as that leopard without all of that excess energy a lot of things will click and make much more sense.

Can you elaborate on this a little? Do you mean slow down arm speed? Or are you metaphorically speaking?

I throw from a stationary position keeping my feet lined up and shifting my weight and using my hips.

I realize there are no "magic" discs, Im just wondering if after a year of only getting 200' with a leopard, if I should move up to a faster disc or if its just a practice thing until I get more distance.

Also what do most players average for distance? Do most throw over 200?

Thanks again. I appreciate all the advice so far!!

Can you elaborate on this a little? Do you mean slow down arm speed? Or are you metaphorically speaking?

I throw from a stationary position keeping my feet lined up and shifting my weight and using my hips.

I realize there are no "magic" discs, Im just wondering if after a year of only getting 200' with a leopard, if I should move up to a faster disc or if its just a practice thing until I get more distance.

I think he's trying to tell you to stay away from fast discs. It gets repeated all the time on this site but I want to recommend a Discraft Comet. From what you're saying about your game this disc sounds like it will fit you. Especially if you like to throw from a stationary position. It's a mid-range that doesn't take a lot of effort to use. It will help you develop good form.

I'm a noob too. I've only been back playing about a month. However, I play everyday literally, for about an hour and a half. When the weather is bad I have a basket and practice putts inside. All that said I'm kind of going thorough the same thing..

1. Work on the form, then again, and, again. I'm realizing I don't have to throw my arm out to get distance. Smooth is far.

2. As a new player the, the discraft avenger SS in pro-D plastic will allow you to get more distance. The academy sports near my job sells them for $6.99. My girlfriend gets about 100+ yards with one.. And her technique is a work in progress. I can throw mine laser straight for 250+ all day. (250-300) is my longest measured range. Some were likely longer but hit trees.

Next I just really learned to hyzer flip the leopard yesterday. The rage you can get on the flip is nice. I hyzer flipped it yesterday on a 309ft hole and would have likely hit the basket from the tee or just over shot it if it wasn't a pesky tree in the way..lol

If you do either of those, I know you'll see more distance, but avenger ss is a bandaid and will mask bad form, the hyzer flip is a skill shot/technique that will take you farther. That said you can buzzer flip the avenger SS too, for even more distance than the leopard. That takes a good arm and technique add the avenger ss is a faster disc

If youre throwing from a standstill, slow everything down until that last moment. That is the single biggest mistake I have made since I started playing, is moving too fast. For me, it didnt make sense until I actually did it.

As for distance, Im a scrub and I can get a putter out to 200 ft or so, drivers to a bit over 300 if Im having a good day.

Yes

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328

all of the videos in that list are great and all would be helpful the first though is specific to the importance of slow down.

Sometimes it is hard to get your head to trust this, but it does make sense. F=ma not F=mv you don't need to be going fast, just have acceleration at the last moment. If you start fast there is no room to accelerate and you don't need a massive amount of acceleration.

...feel my form is pretty good.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk I will say if you are only throwing 200 feet with fairway drivers then your form needs some work. There are a lot of great minds on this site when it comes to form evaluation so I encourage you to post a video if you throwing.

As others have said a faster disc is not the answer at all. If anything a slower disc will be more beneficial for you.

Slow down meaning that without seeing your form, you are likely trying to throw too hard...he's guessing you're trying to throw too fast/hard as that's the problem most people have at this stage. A very smooth motion will get you an easy 200' when you have your grip and angles correct. If it feels like you're trying to throw with some muscle and the disc is going 200', there are some problems.

A Pro Leopard or DX Teebird are what I would recommend to throw at this point, along with midranges and putters. Higher speed discs will not get you any more distance at your current arm speed, they will only fade more and be more sensitive to poor throws.

As far as how far "most players" throw...that is hard to say. But in general I would say lots of people who play for fun are in that 225-275' range, and most guys who play very often and take it as a large hobby will throw 325-350'. Of course some throw farther than that too and it really depends on the area.

I think there ARE indeed magic discs, and they called "light & very understable". Based on "a zilliion things learned and taught to me over the past couple of years" if everyone started out throwing understable discs then their form would get up to speed much quicker. Learn hyzer now, anny later.

2 Great tips I wish I could back in time and redo...

1) Make your first distance driver around 150g (or less), very understable, and practice releasing it on a hyzer. The goal would be for the disc to go fairly straight but with some fade at the end. As your form improves and you start to turn over the disc, then purchase heavier versions of the disc, followed by more stable discs.

2) Throw a putter over and over until you can throw it 200,250+ ft, about 6-10ft high, level and straight.

Thanks for all the advice. I've been reading a lot about throwing a putter 200'. Is an Aviar a good putter to start that with or are there better recommendations?

An Aviar is perfectly fine, for sure. You're not going to get better than that disc. But there are dozens of other options -- it really comes down to a matter of taste. But don't worry about that now -- go and throw that Aviar!

My $02.00....I don't throw far myself but I have found that a Wedge is a very light, low profile putter that is great for newbies to throw. It is still my preferred driving putter. Very possible to play 1 disc rounds with a Wedge.

Latest posts