• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Need an over stable mid

Mostly just for the fun of it...
But a seasoned dx Gator flies pretty darn sweet for me. It starts to show a hint of turn and it delays the onset of fade. Distance is not appreciably increased but the line it gets there on is different. I have not thrown a star rancho (I know I should) but for some shots I have a hard time gauging how much the disc will glide which can be a good or a bad thing. I have thrown KC Rocs for a while but I'm really bummed about the new ones with slanted rims. The gator on the other hand feels much easier to range. It's probably all technique related and admittedly mine is not great. But a seasoned dx Gator won't flip on me even if I screw up and put a lot of OAT it. And when I don't screw up and release it pure, it's a really pretty flight. Like a cross between a lightly seasoned Roc and and a Rhino at a distance that would be right in between those two. Hell, I don't know, I'm just out there screwing around and trying to learn and get better. I would never do that to a Roc I promise.

I like the gator from about 200 out. 250 and I'll usually find a Roc to make that work. Sounds like I need a star rancho Roc though. Cheers.

Totally not on the topic of the overstable mid subject, but I've been loving the frost Claymore in the slot of the go to mid lately. Theory, Claymore and glow Gator feels pretty good to me at the moment. Adding a "seasoned" dx Gator to the mix just rounds it out a bit more without adding another mold. KC Rocs are great but KC Rocs with slanted rims are for the birds. That's just me maybe but every one I have seen on the shelves has this new slanted rim and it just doesnt jive with me. Oddly enough, it doesnt bother me at all on the Theory but it's a different disc. Sorry about the threadjack.

I think the Rancho Roc recommendation is spot on. Get a GStar and it will be straight with a dependable fade at the end.

if you can't flick a stable disc your form sucks

Okay, I'll flick a stable disc into a 25-30mph headwind and pray to (insert your deity here) that it doesn't flip and end up in the water/woods to the left of the basket. Its a situational disc for most, well me anyway.

I saw a few posts about the Sentinel. In Quantum (champ) the are very OS. It is also faster mid than the gator and the rancho roc, closer in speed to your Roc3. They are my workhorse mid for any mid shot in the wind or for a hyzer line. The dude who said is they fly straight for a really long time is right but they have a lot more Hss and lss then he let on. In my experience unless you have an absolute cannon they will fade, always.

Looked at a Star Rancho Roc at the shop yesterday and noticed that it too has a slanted inner rim. I'll pass sorry. Rocs with slanted rims are just wrong.

Last edited:
It bums me out that Innova passes this off as a classic mold when clearly it is not the same mold as the tried and true Rancho Roc. It's shameful.

Honestly though I've never really had an issue with a plus rimmed disc. I once bought a champ teebird that I didn't know was a plus rim and I threw it with out complaint till it got sucked into a blackhole on hole 3 at Freeman Lake in Elizabethtown, KY..