• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help understanding the Bow and Arrow drill.

DiscGolfJames

So I'm watching the video, and one of the big elements I see with the drill is that you load a bunch of weight over your leading leg.

But all the pro videos shown as an example dont display that same method and have them loading their weight with their hips. Am I missing something to the drill or just misunderstanding?

Did you do the drill?

There should be about zero weight pressure on the front foot for about 99% of the the drill as you are striding forward into the plant. The drill loads everything back into rear foot if you are doing it properly. Only if you let go of the arrow should your weight pressure really suddenly shift into front foot.

So I'm watching the video, and one of the big elements I see with the drill is that you load a bunch of weight over your leading leg.

But all the pro videos shown as an example dont display that same method and have them loading their weight with their hips. Am I missing something to the drill or just misunderstanding?

I feel a little like a Biblical interpreter or Darwin's bulldog, but here are some things I think people routinely miss about seabas22/SW22 drills.

1. Almost everyone who teaches things about the hips has been or is wrong in at least one important way (including me). seabas22 is not, and worked hard for that to be the case.
2. Do the drills. I promise it's good for you even if you don't understand it yet. Almost invariably, when they share video, people who do the drills are doing part of the drill wrong, or without enough range of motion, or without enough momentum (including me).
3. They're incredibly - I dare say "uniquely" - well-thought out in the context of the swing, but it can be hard to see how at first.
4. It takes time to do them reliably and to massage them into your swing. IMHO it actually takes longer to fully understand them than to do them, and that's where context comes in.

Context
The drills are intended to isolate and often exaggerate mechanical parts of the swing. If you start to understand how they work, then go back and watch pro form much more carefully, it often makes much more sense. It took quite some time for me to understand how they all fit into the big picture and I am still working through that physically and conceptually. However, I can attest that never once have they made my swing worse when I do them correctly. I also learned that I often also need to work on my range of motion and flexibility to maximize them (pros tend to be exceptional specialized athletes no matter what anyone thinks!). It all matters. I have also tried drills from other instructors, which often backfire because they are not so well thought-out in the context of the whole swing, or the instructor themselves cannot move correctly (including me).

The problem is context for understanding the swing and how to get it. It's not easy.

Repeat posting these here because I think that people look way too much at mature pro form without understanding how they got there. Look at Paul or McBeth in their youth, do some drills like Load the Bow, then consider how they map to each other. What are Simon and Paul both doing that the Load the Bow Drill emphasizes?

Last edited:
Did you do the drill?

There should be about zero weight pressure on the front foot for about 99% of the the drill as you are striding forward into the plant. The drill loads everything back into rear foot if you are doing it properly. Only if you let go of the arrow should your weight pressure really suddenly shift into front foot.

And when you shift your weight, do you shift it over your lead foot or stop when your weight is over your hips?

And when you shift your weight, do you shift it over your lead foot or stop when your weight is over your hips?
There is a difference between shifting weight pressure vs your shifting your mass/CoG or you as you are calling it your weight. Weight is a measurement of force or pressure, like a scale reading under your foot, but I digress.

When your pressure shifts mostly to the front foot, it slows or stops your mass/weight. Ideally you should finish the followthru balanced on the front leg like a ball golfer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m14s
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134167

That was helpful, but in the video from about 4:33 o 5:00 they demonstrate the wrong lean which looks a lot like the throwing from behind, brace position that the pros all do, and the right lean that looks like leading with the shoulder.

I was videoing myself yesterday and saw that I'm swaying forward with shoulders instead of butt, trying to break that habit.

That was helpful, but in the video from about 4:33 o 5:00 they demonstrate the wrong lean which looks a lot like the throwing from behind, brace position that the pros all do, and the right lean that looks like leading with the shoulder.

I was videoing myself yesterday and saw that I'm swaying forward with shoulders instead of butt, trying to break that habit.
The motion demo'd is correct, you just have to turn further back. It's an optical illusion.

^ confirming from the trenches that this issue is easily overlooked and I fell victim to the illusion.

After a couple days drilling I can affirm that it can look subtly different in disc golf posture but the move and leverage implications across the whole body really couldn't be bigger. I keep getting surprised by the creative ways the body can adapt around suboptimal moves.

In my case doing that golf windmill drill and then applying to dingle arms is great body feedback in practice swings. Like most things it takes many reps to override the previous habit.

^ confirming from the trenches that this issue is easily overlooked and I fell victim to the illusion.

After a couple days drilling I can affirm that it can look subtly different in disc golf posture but the move and leverage implications across the whole body really couldn't be bigger. I keep getting surprised by the creative ways the body can adapt around suboptimal moves.

In my case doing that golf windmill drill and then applying to dingle arms is great body feedback in practice swings. Like most things it takes many reps to override the previous habit.

That lean is crazy. I never picked up on that even though I see it's mentioned in the truth about the arm video.

It truly helps you leverage literally yourself into the plant. I feel if you're missing that bend you're probably rotating on a pretty flat plane and lacking any drive off the rear leg because you have no leverage to drive.

But when you get the side bend you acquire leverage into your leg and have weight to drive, feels good.

Also did this with a sidearm and it felt amazing… again I think this is what leveraging your body weight against your leg feels like and without that side bend you lack leverage so the rear leg feels pretty useless.

I thought it feels a lot like shoveling snow, bend forward leverage and catapult.

That lean is crazy. I never picked up on that even though I see it's mentioned in the truth about the arm video.

It truly helps you leverage literally yourself into the plant. I feel if you're missing that bend you're probably rotating on a pretty flat plane and lacking any drive off the rear leg because you have no leverage to drive.

But when you get the side bend you acquire leverage into your leg and have weight to drive, feels good.

Also did this with a sidearm and it felt amazing… again I think this is what leveraging your body weight against your leg feels like and without that side bend you lack leverage so the rear leg feels pretty useless.

I thought it feels a lot like shoveling snow, bend forward leverage and catapult.

Based on how many times my body has done something literally backwards, I'm convinced at this point that it believes gravity comes from above my head and that the target is behind me.

I even found a way to land with some better-than-flat torque with that wrong bend, but it's clearly suboptimal and screws up the sling effect because there's no way to get a full bow load.

The shoveling snow idea is great and something SW22 pointed out to me a while back. Just is always a lot harder for me to encode those motor crossovers into the swing for some reason.

May fate be kinder to you.

The shoveling snow idea is great and something SW22 pointed out to me a while back. Just is always a lot harder for me to encode those motor crossovers into the swing for some reason.
Yeah the snow shoveling is really interesting. I don't recall it coming up before but there's so many drills/swing thoughts floating around that it's hard to keep up.

For the lean, is this Corey Ellis loop, while not a perfect camera angle, a good example?

Yeah the snow shoveling is really interesting. I don't recall it coming up before but there's so many drills/swing thoughts floating around that it's hard to keep up.

For the lean, is this Corey Ellis loop, while not a perfect camera angle, a good example?

Yeah, and it gets easier to see in each big gun when you're looking for it.

KJUSA has a bit of curve in his spine you probably shouldn't emulate, but the tilt is very clear in his swing:

Try playing with an actual shovel swinging forward and back like Battering Ram.

Right now I am using the golf tilt drill + Dingle Arm with a hammer to get the arm swinging wide aggressively into the hit. I usually find that when I make such a big adjustment to my overall motion that my body wants to back off of the crush & my arm shrinks back in toward my body with a little rounding creeping in. The fix for that has usually been to use OLD and similar drills to make the drop compact and abrupt + swing wider again to allow centripetal force to bring it into the pocket.

Try playing with an actual shovel swinging forward and back like Battering Ram.
I already have! :)

Gaining some ambidexterity in actual shoveling this year (I'm in Denver) should be a nice side benefit! (I find I have no rhyme or reason to what comes easy with my off hand, but shoveling, for me, is very on-hand dominant.)

EDIT - Also a bunch of good examples in here:

Last edited:

Latest posts