• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need Help with Accuracy

Seppi

For starters, I'm brand new to disc golf. That being said, I need some help. From what I've heard and read, newbies generally struggle with distance and developing arm speed. This causes almost no issue for me. I can throw far and dead straight off the tee.

My issue is aiming... Like I said, I can throw dead straight... straight into trees, bushes, far off right and far off left. This is frustrating because my friends lob 75 foot shots into the middle of the fairway and get better scores than me because I rip drives straight into trees that would otherwise soar very far.

So like I said, I can throw very far and very straight, just not in the direction I want. From what I hear, I should be turning my head away from the basket when I drive to get a farther reach back. This makes sense to me, but I'm blind as I come around and I don't know when to release.

Any tips? Thanks!

don't release-- aim with the body and pull through on the line you want to hit with the disc matching that angle (flat, hyzer, anhyzer) to get the disc where you want it and with the finish you intended.

Do you run-up straight from the back of the tee pad for every throw, regardless of angle or line you try to hit?

No, I generally try to run up at an angle that points my lead shoulder where I want the disc to start heading. Is that good or bad?

Out of curiosity, how far are you throwing?

Chances are you don't need the run up at all now and would be better served throwing from a standstill. I started out with a run up as its what all the 'cool kids' were doing, but after getting advice here I went back to a standstill. It just eliminates a ton of variables and there are still too many pieces to work on just from a stand still. At first I was hesitant as I lost a bit of distance but that came back very quickly and I am now throwing just as far but much more accurately.

We all had this issue starting out in the beginning. I was looking at youtube, found a guy running a school out west somewhere, he stated "start out close to the basket, maybe 30 feet, master that distance, then 50 feet. Then move to 100 feet 150, 200 and so on. It made sense and it seemed to work for me. I still miss from time to time but I can get around close to par now. Basically, a lot of practice, it's boring and time consuming but it works.

As for form, the people above have cover just about all of it. Good luck....

No that's good.. a lot of people miss shots b/c they don't aim like that or use a different angle of run up for different throws.

Maybe you just need to work on some accuracy drills. Everyone is going to hit stuff from time to time but it also could be HOW you are trying to get down the fairway. Might be easier to throw a mid straight than flex a driver or good roller hole/sky hyzer etc-- take the trees out of play as much as possible and you cant hit them! :p

Another question, what disc are you throwing dead straight for 200 feet? Choice of disc plays a minor factor in your aiming as well. I aim about 15 feet to the right of the basket when I want my Buzzz to end up right under it. A more or less stable disc would require a different approach. However, your form is likely the culprit. Just more food for thought.