• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help with driving

Jdiebold1795

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and recently I've been wanting to work on my driving technique. I can consistently throw about 300-325 ft. And 350-375 on a good day. I throw RHBH and I took a video of just 4 drives, they are no where near my best, and I was just trying to get them out far, I put the basket out like 325 ft. So if you could give me some criticism that would be appreciated. Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY46c0KbSc8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Don't throw katanas or destroyers, you need to disc down to something slower. You shouyld be able to get a teebird, river, striker out that far. Also you moved the camera to watch the shot not your form. its looks to me like you're too eager to see your shot which is going to cost your some d. Have confidence in your throw and do a full follow through then look at your shot. A farther reachback will give you more potential d. A guy down here reaches back and grabs the disc with his off-arm like you do and it cost him d, he recently stop doing that and got much better results so that could be something to try as well.

Hey man welcome to the forums. I would suggest dropping the long distance high speed discs and picking up a more neutral to understable mid like the Comet and driving with your putters. They will help show form flaws and you will be able to see your improvements more once you start getting them to fly smooth and far.
I would give some critique on your form but I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough just yet to give you the run haha.
Hope that will help you. There is tons of good info on this site with people that can really help improve your game, they have mine for sure, so one last suggestion would be just take a look around and read up a bunch haha.

Yeah, don't grab the disc with your off hand. I just stopped doing that and it has helped tremendously. I've gone from 375 on a good shot, to well over 400' on a good shot.

You are throwing too fast and overstable discs. When I throw faster discs they go straight or turn then fade. Your discs aren't getting up to speed so they are hyzering out early. Throw some fairway drivers. Your reach back is also pretty small. It doesn't look like you have much snap....We have all been there.

watched it some more...slow your run up a bit and reachback then accelerate. the days when im dont getting the d i want its because im rushing everything. late accelration is the key and using leg/hip power instead of strong-arming it.

Yes. What everyone has said is very true. I'm not sure about Qbert's knowledge.... But everything else is true! Fairway drivers are my favorite drivers. It's nice to be able to bomb 450' (I hear.... I don't really know), but most people will take accuracy over distance any day. And fairways have the potential to go as far as you say your best drives are going. Fairways are good. I played an entire Buzzz round today to keep form good. It helps.

agreed.......it might be hard and you will lose your accuracy, but get your left hand off the disc on your reachback and reach straight back. You are going to far back and across your body on your reachback. This causes you to windmill and not to pull across your chest.......when you fix that part then focus on your acceleration point (or hit)......wait till the last moment of your throw to accelerate. Get on you tube and watch some dave felberg clinics.......the brent hambrick memorial clinic from last year is one of the best recent ones I have seen........good luck

seemed like your reachback is a little low, so your pulling thru low to high and getting the nose up. it doesn't matter what disc your throwing, try to keep that line flatter and keep your elbow a little higher. just enough so the disc is level across your chest

I agree with most of what has been said although grabbing the disc with the off hand isn't as bad as they are saying, I know a few world distance champs that do that. Your reach-back should be more like a golf backswing so you turn your whole body/hips/shoulders/head backwards so your spine stays intact. You are really twisting your spine and trying to load up your rear leg too much, so your body is in the way and your arm crashes into your chest instead of coming through in a straight line unimpeded. You will really feel way more backwards and aim more backwards when you start to get it right and the weight transfer will happen from behind you.

The way you load your rear leg and try to shift your weight is all wrong and starts your pull way too early. Don't try to shift your weight, stay weight centered and balanced, your weight will transfer properly when you do that. Because you try to load up that way you end up rotating around your rear leg axis instead of the plant foot axis, so your weight shift gets stuck back and not contributing to anything other than strong arming. Try a standstill throw with your feet together or on only your plant leg.

Read/watch the vids and links in this thread:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56079

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll try some of this stuff out the next time I play, it might be hard to change though because I've been throwing like this for probably about a year now. And so you guys are just saying to disc down because I'm not getting enough snap and speed on the disc to reach its full speed, so I should disc down to learn these different techniques and then disc back up when I have more speed?

Yep. I'm confident in my disc knowledge but there are others that are more experienced in telling people what is the best thing to start working on first which is why I passed on critiquing your form specifically.
Discing down will help you tremendously though. I think everyone should disc down when they are really looking to improve their game. Once you get some more snap you will be able to use faster discs much more easily and get the flight path they are designed to have.

Thanks alot guys!!!

Yeah, I played at one of the local courses today and i tried using my hips and not putting my other hand on the disc at all, and it really helped out my average d. I also drove with three of my discs for the 300+ holes. My first disc was a teebird (tried discing down) and my second was my katana in champion blizzard, and my 3rd one was my katana in star plastic. And discing down didn't really help my distant, it was getting the least far, but it did have a good flight path. And my katana star was staying really straight and flat until it hyzered at the end. And my champion blizzard katana, i was throwing in on a hyzer because it is so light that it will flip up into an anhyzer, and it flew like 50-100ft past my other discs because it glided alot. I feel that im getting a little more snap on the disc. Do you guys still think that i should disc down to my teebird even though it is getting less d. I also have a pretty experienced beast, and an avenger ss, and a predator. What do you guys think i should be throwing???

discing down is going to hurt your distance at first. you'll have more control though, and probably have better consistency. the idea is that you limit the speed of your disc to train your form and really develop your timing. teebirds are going 350+ for people that have good form.

the higher speed discs will get more distance, even if you aren't throwing perfect. i don't think there's any reason to avoid them altogether. but they do tend to reinforce bad habits and the disc will punish you more for bad releases.

i can definitely tell you're trying to throw it far, just be smooth. you're also flat footed if nobody has mentioned that, get on your toes.

Everybody's prolly got you covered but here's what I saw:

• NOSE UP! Especially on the second and 4th throws. Hard to get a lot of D unless you keep the nose down. Culprits: Weight not forward enough* and your pull could be higher.
  • Pulling too early: From keeping your off-hand on the disc too long** and trying to keep the target in sight too much.
  • Strong Arming: Just too rigid and stiff. Be smoother and more fluid. Try slowing down and shortening your run-up to concentrate on "pulling the hammer" and causing the disc to rip out of your hand instead of trying to consciously throw or release it.

Good to see you're following through though, that's really hard for some people to learn to do. :thmbup:

Welcome to the forums!

*actually, I think your weight is too far forward on the first throw, just for clarification.

**what SW22 said