• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need ideas for instructional articles

the instructional dvd's are in the works with an ETA of mid-late july.

feel free to email me the article if you would like it posted.

I think that an article about get x-step would be a helpful article for people. and haveing a slomo video for people to watch would be good. I just started learning backhand and those 2 second throw analysis videos are too short. I think it would be ideal to have a clip the x step slowed down because then you can get a better idea of whats being explained and you can see whats happening instead of a 2 secound clip.

from my experiences teaching people the x step, any slow motion version of it generally transfers into a slow motion version of the x-step when they try to perform it.

i guess i don't really understand where people fail with learning the x-step. i learned it from reading a text article on the internet (rick bays' license to drive article) back when there really wasn't any video to download on the internet nor having seen any good players throw.

the frame breakdowns on the throw analysis section are basically freeze frames at each point in the x-step.

To be honest, the x-step I figured out on my own. I was really freaking out when I first played with people and they did it to. And to think, it only took a year of playing to finally get consistant with throwing 400 feet with minimal effort. While the x-step can be easy to understand, the physics and physical timing are the hard part. I know that with more work I can hit 450 with ease. I just have to find that physical and mental nirvana called Golf D.

There's an idea blake Tournament prep, physical, mental, and the art of Zen Disc Golf.

*assumes a semi-lotus position and tries to reach the disc golfer within*

Seriously though, this would be a good article. Maybee a part of "practicing the pressure" before the tournament.

pressure is something we create upon ourselves.

i figured most people would understand it but i will start on an article for all the chokers out there :p

it would be cool to see and article on forming/ maintaining a discgolf club. tips, checklists, do's and don'ts, handling money, record keeping, ect.

i am at that stage here in town, just started a league and we're almost ready to leap into club status.

i'd seen a forum on club starting in here - so i'm stealing that idea, hehe

dave

Its not starting the club that is hard, its getting the people into positions of power who will keep it going. That is the trouble im having. They just wanted the club. They are not interested in taking the time to run large tournaments with other local clubs. Make sure that you put people in who will back you all the way.

Another great club idea for leagues or weekly tourneys is to contact your local paper. They have a sports section, and ususally its free to have a disc golf section added where you can post the weekly winners and their scores. Convincing the paper to run an article on disc golf referencing that section, who you are, what DG is, how it is played, some close local courses, where to buy disc locally, and about the club.

This was actually something that I was looking at putting into the works for a Disc Golf World contest, but maybe I can sit down an nail out a "How to form a disc golf club and keep it actively growing" article.

I have already been in contact with my PDGA state coordinator and with Southern Nationals about getting tournaments here. If you have people of power that are content with just the club, then get members who help you run your stuff. This is what im having to do.

Lets get a thread started on how to form a club, or PM me and i will answer all the questions I can.

I'd be interested in your opinion about exercises to improve your game that do not involve a disc. In other sports athletes spend as much time off the field training than they do practicing on the field, so why should disc golf be any different?

I bring this up because a lot of my discing peers go to the store and buy tons of new discs and go out to the course and throw every day, but I think thier distance and accuracy would improve a ton if they simply took a half hour of every day to train thier body. I fall into this same trap myself--thinking too much about equipment and technique, not enough about physical fitness. I exercise a bit, but in a general way--never since my high school days have I trained for a specific sport. I'd like to focus my workouts on disc-related exercises.

The article I have in mind is a sort of "Anatomy of the Disc Golfer," an article that focuses on the muscle groups used in proper throw and how to isolate those muscle groups in training. Topics such as:

Specific stretches that are especially important to the throwing movement and isolate muscles used in throwing motion.

Specific weight training or resistance excercises that are especially applicable to the discer.

Aroebic exercises that would improve explosiveness and endurance.

Strategy of training. What is more important to disc golf, brute strength or endurance? What are the benefits of one over the other? What do the top pros do when they train without a disc?

A full discussion of such topics would really help me formulate an exercise routine. Also, when you know more about the specific muscles you use in an activity, it helps you identify and recover from injury. That's just a few of the benefits of knowing the "Anatomy of a Disc Golfer."

What about an instructional article that focuses on teaching the throw from either the hit back, or the follow through and back. I think it might help teach people how to throw if you gave them instructions in building blocks in this way. Opposed to x-step, hip turn, shoulder turn, elbow extension, tendon bounce, grip and what not. You'd be like grip, hit, snap, elbow extension, shoulder turn, hip turn, stepping. Just seems like it'd quicken the learning process if people learned the concept from the hit back. I haven't thought it out real well, just wanted to offer the idea. I guess it'd help to be pretty in depth, if this sounds like a good idea, say so, and we can give our opinions of what in depth would mean.

well, you would be looking at two seperate option... either bent elbow or reach back technique.

The biggest thing...and I mean the BIGGEST THING is grip. Great buddy of mine has a throw using only 2 fingers. His index and pinkie are never on the disc. I have been working with him using a modified power/stack grip and gained him 75 feet with no problem. Then I discussed the sling shot technique with him. This allows him to keep his throw style, but focus on generating that whip straight through on a line to the target. Result, an additional 40 feet and accuracy. While he needs further grip work to gain more snap and getting use to the grip, he is already got a great feeling about using these new bit of information.

Morale of the story. You have to take one of two trains of thought on writing an article like this. Do you do a step by step on the whole shebang, or do you write several article in order about building a throw from the ground up.

OO another idea would be an article on the things you can do to get nose down drives, and common flaws people have that make them throw nose up or nose down but torqued.

I wouldn't mind having you elaborate a little more on the different Grips - more details on the various grips - the pros & cons of each.

Sidearm. The sidearm article is quite lite in comparison to the fantastic articles on distance and grip. I'll always be a RHBH thrower but would like to round out my game with the sidearm and am struggling mightily with it... :)

Thanks Blake for all the great instructional articles!! Reading this website for an hour is worth months of practice to a beginner!

I got one.

Please explain in detail the "elbow chop" and how it occurs in the bent elbow technique. The articles on the site just kind of skip over this aspect of the throw. I would like to know how, where, and when to use the elbow cock and uncock motion.

-Disc and shot selection when coping with gradation changes and/or altitude

Latest posts