• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need info (ammo) on Environmental Impact of Discs in Water

Didn't read the whole thread so this may be mentioned already, but the environmental impact of discs in a body of water, has to be miniscule compared to agrucultural runoff and the many other sources of pollution in the ecosystem.

Didn't read the whole thread so this may be mentioned already, but the environmental impact of discs in a body of water, has to be miniscule compared to agrucultural runoff and the many other sources of pollution in the ecosystem.

that's a great point, but probably not the kind of counter needed to fend off the Karen.

Wonder what fraction of a percent of the microplastics are from discs? Not to make light of the issue as we are all soaking in complex molecular structures that are probably killing us all slowly and costing us bazilions in medical. Even the bioplastics have issues.

there is a thread about that. Someone was talking about the bits that get cut off with nail clippers or dinged on trees, etc.

When you consider the amount of plastic disposed of daily in the form of consumables, I would think that discs make up such a small amount of plastic as to be non-existent in relative terms. Like billionths or less percent of the plastic pollution.

If there is a public forum it would be cool to have a disc that was lost in a lake for several years and compare it side by side to a brand new disc. There would be no difference except the crud on the lake disc. This might have an impact on some people.

Or if you had an older disc let's say a 175 gram Champion Valk that has been thrown 1000's of times and put it on an accurate scale and let everyone see that the weight is still the same or maybe 1 gram less.

I'd structure it so the burden of proof was on the person making the accusation and I'd not fall into the trap of defending a problem that has not yet been proven to exist.
Well said.

Well in my area of expertise all of these type of plastic are used in either sewer, storm, Domestic Water or Natural Gas below ground piping systems.

And the world has not ended.

Yet.

Maybe instead of playing defense, he should expose and humiliate the psycho.

What other activities does the bully want to do in the area that the disc golf course gets in the way of? I didn't see it mentioned if it was located in a public park or not, but if it's on private land and the owner has well built reputation the bully could be sued for defamation of character and if it's a pay-to-play, loss of income. Many times just having that type of paperwork drafted and delivered is enough to get a blow-hard to back off.

Lounging in a hammock and yoga classes.

It's in a public park.

The yoga classes shouldn't too much of a problem. Just skip whatever hole they happen to be set-up on.

Hammock....That's harder. I've only seen it a couple of times ever on my public courses, but the angle was bad so I didn't know until my disc was 20 feet from them. They seemed completely unfazed.

The yoga classes shouldn't too much of a problem. Just skip whatever hole they happen to be set-up on.

Hammock....That's harder. I've only seen it a couple of times ever on my public courses, but the angle was bad so I didn't know until my disc was 20 feet from them. They seemed completely unfazed.

That is not what this is about. This is about someone bullying the course owner to make changes to the course, not whether disc golfers should skip a hole that is being occupied by non-disc golfers.

Lounging in a hammock and yoga classes.

It's in a public park.

Yep, that seems about right. Contact the state and let them know what they could be hearing about the issue, don't even communicate with the bully in any way text or in person as that will only fuel the fire. Go over their head, the DG course has been there for longer and while people may try to argue "public park" that also means that the established DG course which was there first and approved by the parks dept. has merit in the argument.

Convince your friend to ignore it. No responses and no actions and I bet the bully disappears. If they try to protest or block of the area don't even approach them, call the parks dept and the local police, they know the regulations better than any of us and can make legal action less stressful. You've done nothing wrong, or the course owner has done nothing wrong the burden of proof is on the bully.

The course owner should look into 'getting ahead' of the bully by posting on social media, etc. that they are being bullied and threatened. Depending on the actions by the 'bully', the course owner might be able to get a cease and desist against them - this does sound like harassment. He/she should talk to a lawyer....I really suggest this as the bully could sue the course owner...better to get advice now rather than wait.

Better get a proactive no trespassing on that person for that property, sounds like someone liable to stake out the course and let themselve be "hit" by a disc in order to push their cause.

These type of people are never good news and best avoided.

BTW, iirc the #1 source of microplastics is simply driving, car tires slowly rubbing off and all. Might wanna get rid of cars first.

Last edited: