• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need opinions on a touchy subject. Bags.

Camelback

Some really great responses thanks guys. I love the look and design of the grip bags but I looked on his site and everything is out of stock. The mahal looks like the type of bag you'd never need to buy another bag so that's a plus. It's just not so cool in the looks department but I don't mind so much how it looks I want function first. I need to look more at the gorilla boy and flak. I like hyzer bomb I have one of the cheap shoulder sling bags they did for twenty five bucks but with the bladder in it I only can fit a few discs. I know I said I don't care what I look like on the course but I just don't know if I could ever be that guy who pushes a stroller. But yeah the terrain is pretty flat and a lot of people use them here. I'll consider it. I like the looks of the GGGT one but it's pricey.

Which backpack designs have a pouch to put your hydration bladder in? I thought the grip did and a few others. I like the flak, grip, and mahal as front runners but with all three of those once I decide on it how fast can I get one? The flaks I know have to be preordered, the mahals take forever, and grip bags are hardly ever in stock. I appreciate the responses. Please keep them coming.

I really like the yoke system the mahal has I need to look into that more. Sounds like it makes the comfort factor a huge plus.

The Mahal is designed to hold a Camelbak and has a built-in umbrella holder. Watch the video on the Mystery Ranch website. It shows you all the features. The rain fly works good. I've had t in a long thunderstorm up in the mountains, and my wallet and phone were still dry.

Yes, it takes forever to get the bag. They make their ski bags now, and don't run Mahals until Spring usually.

I like my Innova bag and Quads, but I know alot of folks would say splurge and get the Grip bag. It may be the last bag you'll need for a few decades.

I know there are a lot of bag threads but I just want to hear a variety of opinions while in the early stages of my search. Let's keep it civil. :popcorn:

Coming in to a trailer park fortune in a few weeks of disposable income. About $500. :hfive: Don't need to spend more than half of that total but the ceiling is $300. I have three bags but none of them can carry a full compliment of the discs I like while being light and easy on my aging back.

I want it to be a backpack design unless you know of a specific bag that will carry with quad shocks and be just as comfortable on the back as a backpack design is. I already own a set of quads.

I need it to carry plenty of water in the form of two One L Nalgene Titans (Love the Grip for those two pockets) Or if it has a bladder pouch I have one of those that is 3L-100oz because I will want to use it year round and we have nasty summers.

I need it to comfortably carry 5-6 high speed drivers, 6-7 fairway drivers, 6-7 mids/utility/upshot discs, and then I carry two putters in the putter pocket sometimes three.

I don't care if it's an obscure bag/company or something like Grip. If it's a quality bag and fits my needs I will consider everything. I don't want used and I would rather not wait months on my bag being made. When I pull the trigger I hope to have it shipped next day or maybe a week tops. I'm not opposed to ordering colors in stock though. I don't need custom work or embroidery.

So have at it. What's the bag you want on your back if you are spending my three bills? Thanks.

I agree save 200.00 and get a Innova Discarrier, and some good straps.

If you noticed the original post I said I have Phenix Quad Shocks which in my opinion are the best. Funny enough I also have an Innova Discarrier. I'll explain why I want more.

The discarrier has a really crappy internal "frame" If you want to spend $30 on three six disc dividers to use in the three compartments you can make up for this but I shouldn't have to really. They should come stock like that, IMO. It rides low and despite good straps it just doesn't fit your back like a good backpack designed bag. For the size and awkwardness of it you really can't store all that much. Like my original post said it will be disposable income which is rare which is why I'm upgrading to hopefully the last bag I'll need to buy.

I'll still keep the discarrier and straps probably to sell, trade, or loan out to friends.

Thanks for the replies everyone I think I'm down to the Grip or the Mahal. I really like the Mahal but I don't know if I can wait til Spring to get one.

So I decided to take some measurments on the Grip and Mahal. When the side pouches are fully open the Mahal is roughly 8" wider than the Grip, but that # can be deceptive. Since you can collapes the side pouches ( chances are you will, unless you carry 30+ discs) and the drink holders and a mini pouch are on the ends too. As far as depth (front to back), the mahal is approx 4" deeper and height wise the Grip is taller by an inch or two.
The funny thing is, if you put these bags side by side. You would think the Grip is bigger, go figure.

The Grip is still my favorite of the two, but if you play big time, travel, or play a bunch of tournaments. The Mahal can't be beat. The quality of the materials is soooo far above any other bags out there. Grip, Voodooo, GB are not even in the same ball park when it come to the Mahal (I used these co. because I've owned bags from them). Plus it looks better in person than in pictures :)

Ive had a simian and a grip and i still have the grip so obviously i liked it more than the sim. The sim is more of a tourny players bag in my opinion. I just carry a stool if im anticipating a long round and im fine. Plus i think the straps on the new sims suck and the grips are o so nice

Id go with a grip

Decided on a Grip bag and placed an order today. I'm bumping this so someone with a Grip can maybe post a few internal pics. I'll also do a quick look through the bag pic thread but I'm trying to get an idea of how many discs can be stored and where so I will be ready to load it up and play the day it arrives. There is an upper shelf storage pocket above the main lower and behind the putter sleeve right? I think I will try to put all my utility discs and less used drivers up there. Any helpful hints or tips from you Grip owners is much appreciated.

You should have gotten a Prodiscus. That bag is a beast.

I considered it. The grip was more what I wanted, pretty much local company which I try to support, and it was in stock and could be ordered from their website. I couldn't even find a place to get the Prodiscus bag without going through a middleman. I'm impulsive and speed and ease of ordering actually play a big part to me. Thank you for pointing out my mistake though. :D

I considered it. The grip was more what I wanted, pretty much local company which I try to support, and it was in stock and could be ordered from their website. I couldn't even find a place to get the Prodiscus bag without going through a middleman. I'm impulsive and speed and ease of ordering actually play a big part to me. Thank you for pointing out my mistake though. :D

you probably could have gotten a prodiscus bag from devan owens

Decided on a Grip bag and placed an order today. I'm bumping this so someone with a Grip can maybe post a few internal pics. I'll also do a quick look through the bag pic thread but I'm trying to get an idea of how many discs can be stored and where so I will be ready to load it up and play the day it arrives. There is an upper shelf storage pocket above the main lower and behind the putter sleeve right? I think I will try to put all my utility discs and less used drivers up there. Any helpful hints or tips from you Grip owners is much appreciated.

No pocket behind putter pocket, one in front but not designed for discs. I get 17 in the main and 3 in the putter pocket. You could squeeze one more in each, but would make it harder to get out. You could squeeze one in the pouch pocket and maybe one in the mesh pocket as well.

No pocket behind putter pocket, one in front but not designed for discs. I get 17 in the main and 3 in the putter pocket. You could squeeze one more in each, but would make it harder to get out. You could squeeze one in the pouch pocket and maybe one in the mesh pocket as well.

Thanks. I think I was confusing that compartment with a Flak.

If I have to go through a sponsored pro to get a bag I'll pass. Free shipping that's quick and it's in stock. I liked a lot of bags the flak, prodiscus, mahal, and a few others but the grip was ready to be shipped. The others weren't. I realize plenty of people will wait but I don't.

I think this is what you were asking for. I keep 22 discs in the main compartment and three putters in the putter pocket. I didn't show what I can get in the other pockets but I can get a wind breaker or thin sweatshirt in the side pockets. I keep a birdie bag and a towel in one side pocket and usually fit my jacket or sweatshirt in that pocket with them. In the other I have my mini's, a thick towel and a smaller towel. I keep my keys, cell phone, tape, scissors, wallet, rule book and band aids in the pocket in front of the putter pocket.

Attachments

• discs 020.jpg
    discs 020.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 39
  • discs 021.jpg
    discs 021.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 30
  • discs 022.jpg
    discs 022.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 26
I wasn't saying you made a mistake. I have nothing against a grip (never owned one), but when I was reading your first post I said man that sounds just like my Prodiscus bag.

I did like you did. I did research, research, and more research.
I got a first run flak, had a little issue with it, but nothing really major. They were willing to fix it, but had issues with the manufacturer, but took care of it in the end. Great customer service.

I got my Prodiscus from Kia (sp?) on here. No middleman. Took a little bit to get from Finland, but oh my. I was playing the other day and realized I had 26 discs, 2 towels, hoodie, 2 Nalgenes and several other odds and ends in it. bag is huge.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the grip, I hear lots of good stuff about them. May have to try one myself one day

Latest posts