• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

need some advice....

JNash16

I've found that as I've been playing I've tended to lean towards the fairly overstable discs (i.e. Boss, T-rex, X-cal) on an anhyzer for the S curves I need. Lately I've gone back to throwing a slightly more friendly set of discs. Gone back to the good ol' wraith and a valkyrie. I have zero problems getting either disc to flip up, and the valkyrie turns too hard for me to the point that outside of throwing it 50 ft up in the air and letting it do it's business it's nearly useless. The wraith I have (174 champion) flips up nicely, but when it starts to S it never fades back. I also have a destroyer I throw, but it does nearly the same thing. I'm just looking for something that I can get to flip up turn right and then fade back left....

Any suggestions for a scrub???

My freind was using a 162 Pro Boss and when he through it, it fliped out to the right more then a Champ Boss and faded back left. He got rid of it because it flip out too much and it didn't like wind. But I think that a light weight Pro Boss might be what you are looking for.

I've found that as I've been playing I've tended to lean towards the fairly overstable discs (i.e. Boss, T-rex, X-cal) on an anhyzer for the S curves I need. Lately I've gone back to throwing a slightly more friendly set of discs. Gone back to the good ol' wraith and a valkyrie. I have zero problems getting either disc to flip up, and the valkyrie turns too hard for me to the point that outside of throwing it 50 ft up in the air and letting it do it's business it's nearly useless. The wraith I have (174 champion) flips up nicely, but when it starts to S it never fades back. I also have a destroyer I throw, but it does nearly the same thing. I'm just looking for something that I can get to flip up turn right and then fade back left....

Any suggestions for a scrub???
If you don't have a problem using Discraft, try a force.

are you throwing over 400ft?
i'd imagine you got some OAT, unless you got a cannon for an arm

oh, and for that, if you dont wanna fix OAT, the crush and the force are great discs for oat, you'll get consistant lines at least, they don't seem to suffer in my experience as bad on Oat

:p

i would say it's probably a little of both..... I have a cannon, but probably some OAT in there too. I'm gonna try to scrounge up a pro boss and try it out, and I have no problem throwing discraft. I have a surge that I realy like, but it does the same thing as the wraith. Birthday is this coming weekend so I'll have to get someone to get me a force :p

is this a recent issue that has started with the change of weather. the reason i ask is because when i change to long sleeves for the colder weather i start having some of the issues you are describing because it chages my throw occasionally.

no... I was reading some stuff on here... I just CAN'T throw anything understable. I'm assuming it's because of OAT. That's why I've been working on hyzer flips and what not. The cold does effect my power to some degree limiting my range of motion.

start throwing your mids a lot, it will help you concentrate on a flat smoothe release, that will allow you to work your other discs much better and help the OAT

Second the throwing mids part, plus another thing that you might find useful. I find the biggest culprit for me in terms of having too much OAT is from not leading with my elbow correctly. I have a tendency to let my elbow droop instead of being on the same plane as my disc/forearm and this leads to an awful follow through where I sling my hand down in an anhyzer fashion, palms up. If I keep my elbow up I get MUCH smoother throws and my discs won't turn and burn as much.

Good Luck.

also, another disc that would work out well is a firebird or predator...
firebird probably better for havin less hss
but once theyre worn in for a week or so, they can be some staight flyers for those with oat issues, my buddy refuses to "learn" anything, gets mad when you critique his form... but he has been using the excal until i lent him a firebird, now its his longest and reasonably straight disc for him, plus the firebird is a great utility disc, for alot of dif shots - overhands, anything hyzer, skips, rolls,grenades, etc

elite z or champ would be my recomendation, just cause they seem to always stay stable after being tortured by woods and overhands

no... I was reading some stuff on here... I just CAN'T throw anything understable. I'm assuming it's because of OAT. That's why I've been working on hyzer flips and what not. The cold does effect my power to some degree limiting my range of motion.

I thought you said you were throwing Valks and Wraiths now? Or do you mean that you're trying and failing to get what you want out of those?

How far are you throwing?

Another distinct possibility is that you think you're releasing the disc with hyzer when you're really not. You can have it at a hyzer angle from your backswing and all the way through your throw but at the last second you open up somehow, either by standing up or rolling your wrist so that the disc is either coming out flat or with anhyzer. It can be very difficult to convince yourself of this. Get someone to film you, that would be the quickest way to determine if this is the case, the camera won't lie.

I went through this and my buddy kept telling me that I was releasing it flat or annie when I SWORE I had hyzer on it. I finally had to go through my whole throw in slow motion repeatedly before I could actually see how I was opening up too soon and not staying down on top of it.

I have been trying and failing quite miserably, but I can definitely tell that the disc is coming out at a hyzer angle. I can see it come out and flip itself up, but I either am not flipping is down far enough or am just throwing too hard or something. I've been throwing my buzzz a lot for the past couple months and it's improved my consistancy greatly. Just looking to get a bit moreso

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

I have been trying and failing quite miserably, but I can definitely tell that the disc is coming out at a hyzer angle. I can see it come out and flip itself up, but I either am not flipping is down far enough or am just throwing too hard or something. I've been throwing my buzzz a lot for the past couple months and it's improved my consistancy greatly. Just looking to get a bit moreso

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Have you tried with a slower understable disc like a Meteor or Leopard?

oh ya i've tried both... I can't throw anything more understable than a valkyrie/beast rhbh as a driver without it crashing and burning to the right. I generally dont have any problems throwing very understable midranges, but I can get my buzzz to do generally anything I need it to do.

When all else fails just slow it down and be deliberate with your x step. Then slowly start speeding it up to rip city mode as you become comfortable.

oh ya i've tried both... I can't throw anything more understable than a valkyrie/beast rhbh as a driver without it crashing and burning to the right. I generally dont have any problems throwing very understable midranges, but I can get my buzzz to do generally anything I need it to do.

I would spend some time throwing nothing but those really understable discs you have trouble with. Work on getting them to fly on pure hyzer lines, that will expose a lot of form flaws (it did for me anyway).

I would spend some time throwing nothing but those really understable discs you have trouble with. Work on getting them to fly on pure hyzer lines, that will expose a lot of form flaws (it did for me anyway).

Yep, or if you really want to iron out the OAT, practice with only putters. I like to play rounds with only my Aero to bring the finesse back.

Latest posts